1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Bike import US for exporting them to Europe_CF7501

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Niuka.de, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Niuka.de

Niuka.de Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good morning,

we are 2 german motorbike travellers. We started in Chile and drove all the way up to LA.
    We crossed the border to the US coming from Baja California.

The plan was to go to Canada and fly or ship the bikes back to Europe.

Unfortunately, the virus came up. We are stuck in LA since almost 5 weeks.

We are thinking about to cancel our trip and have to fly or ship the bikes back from California.
    OR
    We store the bikes in LA and come back in 2021 and continue North to Canada and Alaska.

The problem is, we didn´t get any documents for our bikes when entering the states in November 2019. We are in contact with some shipping agencies and they told us, we must have a document called "CF 7501". Otherwise we would not be able to export the bikes back to Europe.
    They told us, we could get this document in Long Beach (US Customs and Border Protection).

If we would be lucky and can get above mentioned document, how long will the motorbikes be allowed to stay in the US? (Contacting the Customs at the moment is simply not possible)
    Will there be any costs for us, e.g. for the document or the time the bikes are in storage (besides the storage costs), etc.?

I hope you understand what I mean and maybe can help us with some answers or information.

Thank you very much and be safe!
  2. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Matt fe2o3

Matt fe2o3 I think.

Oddometer:
    The entry summary (CF7501) should have been obtained when you came into the US, more likely a Temporary Import permit would have been issued.

What happened at the border when you came in? Was there zero paperwork and they waived you through? Odd - but I suppose stranger things have happened.

You might simply need to reverse track to MX and do it in TJ (the docs) and re-enter.
  4. Niuka.de

Niuka.de Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At the border they came out, just to let us know to come in for the passport check and the visa on arrival. Nothing more.
    Right now with all the virus lock-downs going on, we do not want to go back to the border. Most campgrounds are closed.

Yesterday, someone told us, we also need an EPA (!?) to get the CF 7501 document?!
  5. Matt fe2o3

Matt fe2o3 I think.

Oddometer:
    Yea, more specifically California EPA - my understanding from past is when bringing a bike into California first you need an emissions compliance permit before Customs will process an entry. In the way old days T&Es were used a bond was posted and when the article was exported from the US the bond was released. Now it’s very complicated except for the folks that specialize it that.

That’s kinda why I indicated ride it out to MX and get a forwarding agent there to handle. Then it’s easier as there’s no EPA, it’s just a transshipment originating in MX and terminating in Germany.

There is an outfit in LA that specializes in bikes to and from Europe- you could reach out.

There’s other casual options but it requires you to have inside connections on Ro-Ro’s that call Germany from the US West Coast.
  6. Matt fe2o3

Matt fe2o3 I think.

Oddometer:
    Hey what are these bikes and where did you get them? In Chile, or did you ship them from Germany to Chile?

If they are Chilean origin that’s maybe an issue on the German side too?
  7. Niuka.de

Niuka.de Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds complicated. I think we will have a chat to the US customes in Long Beach.
    Maybe we are lucky, if not, we have to find another solution.
    Thanks for your post.
    Matt fe2o3 likes this.
  8. Niuka.de

Niuka.de Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We shipped the bikes from Germany to Chile. They have german plates.
    Matt fe2o3 likes this.
  9. Matt fe2o3

Matt fe2o3 I think.

Oddometer:
    Sounds reasonable. If CBP should have done something different they may assist. They may also refer you back to the port/ border you entered at. Good luck!
  10. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    The temporary import is for one year, but it sounds like something went sideways at the border. Last year i used these guys; Schumacher to ship my bike to Bremerhafen. I worked with a guy named Filip in their Gardena warehouse. They ship a lot of vehicles and may have some answers as they take care of the "export", but you will have to deal with the Zoll and receiving agent in Germany on your own. Was about $600 to ship, but takes about 2 months. You may want to contact @Sascha here on AdvRider or Link - he was a tent space guest of mine for a few days last year on a similar long trip and I heard he had some issues at the Zoll getting their German plated bikes back into Germany. I don't know any specifics, but it would be good to be forewarned.
    Matt fe2o3 and el Pete like this.
  11. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a customs office near LAX also. Used that to get the paperwork when I helped some travelers who flew their bikes into Los Angeles. Maybe you can get the paperwork there.

There's so much cross border traffic (tourism, workers, etc.) from Mexico that US customs doesn't seem to do any vehicle importation checks at land based crossings.
    Matt fe2o3 likes this.
  12. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    i have 2 german riders who left their bikes with me for almost 1 year and no issue. rode from Alaska, stored the bikes at my house, 10 months later, picked them up and made it to Peru until they were hit by the lock-down. they never did any paperwork and no one asked when they crossed the border into Mexico (except for the Mx officials).

what MJS said, the border crossing is so busy they won't do customs work....including verifying my US passport, mine was expired for 4 years.
    Matt fe2o3 likes this.
  13. welshracing_752

welshracing_752 slidewaysjr

Oddometer:
    Take the bikes apart. Ship as parts back home no paper work that way. Just a few boxes
  14. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    What has happened since then ?
  15. Niuka.de

Niuka.de Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We went to CBP near LAX with the documents from entering Chile from Europe. They helped us and we were able to get the necessary documents for the export US --> Germany.

Thanks a lot for your posts!

Have a nice sunday and be safe.
  16. Niuka.de

Niuka.de Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We didn´t ship yet. We still wait for the canadian border to open.
  17. Niuka.de

Niuka.de Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you can enter the US coming from the north or the south without the official import papers. That means, your bike is "not registered" in the states. No one knows that the bikes are imported and you can leave them in the country as long as you want.
    That´s why the 2 german could leave their bikes with you for almost 1 year.
    Leaving the US north or south by bike is no problem, even if you do not have the import papers.

If you ask for these papers at the border entering the states, your bike is allowed to stay one year in the US.

The documents we needed, were just for the export from the US to Germany by container ship, because we do not think that we are able to continue our trip to Canada and Alaska this year...thanks corona.
  18. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    contact Schumacher Cargo in Long Beach. they can help you.
  19. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have entered and left the US a few times in the last two years with my UK registered BMW and apart from checking the VIN against their stolen vehicles list there was never any paperwork at US customs either coming or going, it finally left into Canada from where I flew it home, if you want to leave them in the US and come back later it should not be a problem.