Bike Insurance for young riders

Discussion in 'Canada' started by zeeker1, Jan 16, 2012.

1. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    Something similar happened to me and that i had two cars. Just because someone was living in my house my insurance went up because they might drive it. Even though the car was a manual transmission and she couldn't drive it even if she wanted too.

Iv wanted to get an old second hand truck to do some odd jobs around the house, but i cant. As soon as i bring it home my daughter now would be considered a principle driver and my insurance would skyrocket.
  2. Spiritwalker2222

Spiritwalker2222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pay Dirt, who's your insurance provider? That's a really good rate for Ontario.
  3. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    Those are Alberta rates quoted in awe.

Pay Dirt is likely getting hosed along with the rest of us.

Either that or those rates are charged by the minute
    drcool
  4. Pay Dirt

Pay Dirt panning the web

Oddometer:
    Thanks for covering me on this DC, you got it dead right!! Echlon(Riders Plus) are invoicing me with a 30% increase over last year,I knew they had spies and were watching !!!!:evil

PD
  5. tat2

tat2 where's ya too?

Oddometer:
    Talk to your broker. I believe there is a form (Form N64?, not sure something like that) you can sign that basically legaly swears the other licensed person in the house will not drive it. I met a lady who had to do this when her bad driving son moved back home and they wanted to bump her rates to the moon.
  6. jasonmt

jasonmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I am not about to scan in my insurance premium documents you can get a online quote pretty easily, the website quoted me $155/year for a 2005 VFR 800 using a Edmonton postal code:

https://insurance2.group.tdinsuranc...e1=T6K&PostalCode2=1W1&campaignid=DTRANMOTOEN

I have two vehicles, two sleds, two street bikes, two quads and four dirt bikes all insured on the same policy (yes I may have a problem, just ask the SO) and the insurance on the sleds is less than the plates at ~$50/year, quads are ~$100/year, the bikes range from just under $100/year for the kids CRF 150 and the SO's EN 144 to the $144/year for the VFR 800. The basic PL/PD coverage for ALL of the bikes/quads/sleds runs under $1000/year.
  7. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    Thanks I'll see what she says.

I am with a different broker then when i got screwed over before with two cars, so its worth a shot.
  8. TheMechanic

TheMechanic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    after hearing the cost of insurance in alberta, i am in awe, and brimming with envy, and happiness, too (strange?). that's where i want to move to now. oil field here i come.

regarding the opening post, i thought manitoba insurance was bad, and it is, don't get me wrong, but ontario is on a whole different level. anyway, in mb, it costs me 1200 a year for a dr200 and roughly 1275 a year for a dr650. i'm 18 too. you would think there should be more of a gap between the cost for those two bikes, no? can't wait to get out of this s#!thole province.
  9. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    Ok so it seems Alberta has the best price on insurance. But how closely is it compared? Deductibles? Annual license fees? Just wondering. Might need to buy an address out there if it is such a good deal.
  10. jasonmt

jasonmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Prices quoted are with a $1000 deductible, bike/quad/sled plates are ~$55/year.
  11. DNF

DNF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a brand new Road King with $1k deduct and 2 million full coverage. $510 per year. That was back in 2005.
    Had a brand new Paul Smart 1000Le same insurance coverage $530 in 2006.

Annual license if pretty cheap in AB and can be done online. D/L was getting more expensive.

That same 05 RK is close to 1k for 1 million and six months (maybe seven I forgot) in BC (the bike is six years old now).
    My 09 WR250r is $180 for six months. No collision though.

Can't do your annual online. Must stand in line like a peon in BC.
  12. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of when I moved to Yellowknife. I was shopping around for car insurance, only three companies in town and the cheapest quote was from a company that told me they needed all the insurance and driving licence details from my room mates. No way I was going to ask my roomies for their personal info to give to a third party, so I went with the next cheapest quote.

A year or so later I had moved (still in the same city) and my new room mates A&K bought a car. They also got the cheapest quote from the company that wanted all the details of everyone in the house, and they asked me for mine. I refused, told them that I wasn't trying to be an ass but there was no way I was giving my personal info to a company that I had nothing to do with.

My room mates saw my point of view and I agreed to talk on the phone with the woman from the insurance company. She confirmed that in order to insure their car she needed my insurance and driving licence details. I asked why and was told that it was because I might drive their car. I explained that I had my own car, but that wasn't good enough for this woman. "You live in the same house as the car A&K want to insure, so you might drive it and therefore I need your details." She confirmed, when asked, that she wouldn't insure their car unless I gave her my info.

I realized that I wasn't going to get anywhere so I told the woman that I'd never be able to drive their car anyway. She asked why and I told her that they kept their keys in a locked safe in a room that was protected by an armed guard. She told me to prove that was true. I told her to prove it wasn't.

In the end A's brother came out for a visit and he gave them his details pretending that he was the room mate, and that satisfied the insurance company so we all got what we wanted.:D
  13. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the broker I was dealing with, would not listen to reason what so ever, I told her I may as well insure my neighbor cause she might borrow my car some day.

Since I was on a monthly payment, she just went and took the money from my bank account. I was so pissed at her that I went in and told her exactly what I thought of her.

I went to get a new broker,I didn't care how much it cost me to get away from this woman or how much I paid to cancel early.

Funny thing was I found new broker who got me in with the same insurance company that I was already with.She even gave me a cheaper quote:eek1 and I didn't have to pay a penalty cause I never left the company.

14. gumbellion

gumbellion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only way its remotely affordable to insure a new rider is for you to buy the bike, or have it in your name and put your kid as an occasional rider. I rode my fathers coat tails doing that until I was 20, then went to Jevco when the prices became more reasonable. It is risky if he is riding it everyday but let him know if he is in an accident that he should say that he only rides the bikes a could times a year.
    TD wont insure someone to be primary until they are 25.
    If he takes a rider training school like "Gearing Up" it wont affect his rates until he gets his full M license but when he passes the M he will get a "three star rating" I believe its called and that dropped about $300/year off my insurance which will offset the cost of the training within a couple years.
    I stared riding on the street at 16 and am 25 now. After 9 years I finally have insurance that will be close to reasonable at $1001 for this year on a 2007 BMW x-challenge
  15. Shirker

Shirker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hadn't noticed this thread before, but my 30 year old son wants to buy a less-than-400 cc bike (236cc actually). The quote on the $4,000 bike is ......................................wait for it................$4,000. That's for 1st party (your own stuff) cover. Third party liability is another $650 or so.
    100% premium in not insurance, it's usury. Let's stone the moneylenders, , wait a minute, he would be lending money to them until a claim occured in this case. The problem is that he has not insured before.
    Farkin 100% premium? Nope, better to buy a really good lock.
  16. gryphon51

gryphon51 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Ontario, get Road Wings through Elite INS

:clap
  17. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    I so do not miss CDN insurance - my 19 year old kid in TX with a 500 Ninja (now my KLR650) is under $35 a month

If we were back in Ont. it would be cheaper to give him a car

BTW - CMGOnline used to have some ins discounts for members - do they still have that?