1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Bike insurance...who's your pick?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Cuttlefish, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    A search shows some older threads.
    I have a few vehicles with Youi already and when enquiring about a quote they have given me a $700 excess but also an additional $1000 excess for a claim within 90 days.
    That seems "excess"ive and I figure its time to shop around.
    The extra $1000 excess within 90 days is what's really bugging me.
    Bike I want to insure is only worth probably $3.5-4K market value anyway so if I bin it I have a $1.7K excess within 90 days.
    :photog
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  2. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    If that is all the bike is worth, I'd just be getting TP only. Just google and fill in details to get a quote
    GodSilla, Cuttlefish and nevgriff64 like this.
  3. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    I was using insuremyride until they disintegrated. As their parent company Shannons sent a polite offer I took that up.
    Third Party Property only (bike value $4k): $111 / year. $150 excess.

May be worth pricing both TPP and Comprehensive with a few companies. Sometimes they can be suprisingly close.
    Or completely incomprehensible: My GQ Patrol through RACV was cheaper Comprehensive than TPP:hmmmmm. I obviously asked why. Something to do with the high quantity of that model on their books with just TPP jacked the price up.
    Something only a bean counter could make sense of.
    Kiwirich, Cuttlefish and nevgriff64 like this.
  4. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    I have always been a champion for Shannons, with cars and the bike.

Until my 1200 GSA was written off in June.

God they were bloody hard to deal with.

Every conversation with them was with a different person. Getting my gear replaced was hard. $3K cover and it's like for like with a maxim of $1000 per item. So a BMW jacket that cost around $1200 was off the list. I chose another for $800. I assumed the $200 difference would go back into the pot... no way.

Bottom Line is Suncrap here in Qld own about 12 insurance companies.

And I reckon they all appeal to different demographics out there. As for Shannons, the QLD manager used to work for me about 45 years ago. He and his fellow workers really are car and bike nuts.

But when you make a claim, no matter if you're insured with Shannons, AAMI or whoever.... you deal with a faceless pencil pushing goose deep within Suncrap's claims department.

Two years back, I had a young girl rear end my Calais... claim though Shannons.... Suncrap tell me I have to use their preferred repairer.

I had to "educate" the faceless one that Shannons advertise your own choice of repairer. Here in Brisbane I used the Bump Shop, outstanding work and as dear as buggery.

New 1250 GSA is insured with QBE. They gave me 4 choices of cover. 1. Market value. 2. Agreed value $30K 3. Agreed value $35K 4, Agreed value $36995.

And.. when I was explaining about the old bike was written off etc, they were genuinely caring asking if I was OK. The only "I'm sorry" I got from Suncrap was when they told me the old bike was a write-off.

The other thing with Suncrap group is you cannot make a claim until you pay them your excess. Up front. Mine was $500.

When all the dust had settled, I rang Suncrap again and asked for my $500 back. They said, no the other party is suing you via us for repairs to their customers car.

Fuck me!!! Did you read the police accident report? It stated the woman who hit me entered the roundabout when it was not safe to do so. She was at fault.

Then they asked me for a copy of the report.... referred them to my lawyers.

Frank Spencer Insurance.

Seems to be lots of good reports with QBE it would seem.

Good luck out there....
  5. Cuttlefish

Oddometer:
    I have started looking around. Quite the disparity already.
    Youi quoted me $202 for comprehensive and $199 for thirdy party, fire and theft?
    AAMI quoted $86 for third party, fire and theft and $500 excess.
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  6. Cuttlefish

Oddometer:
    I'll now have a look at QBE.
    Hmmm could only get a quote for comprehensive online. $294. ($500 excess)
    Tried Budget direct...Third, party, fire and theft. $234. ($500 excess)
    Interesting!
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  7. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    I have my daughter's old scooter and my new R1250GSA with NRMA. I got lots of different quotes but they came out with better cover and much cheaper each time. It surprised me really as they used to be the most expensive for bikes.
    Kiwirich and Cuttlefish like this.
  8. Not the Messiah

Not the Messiah Old enough to know better, but slow learnin'

Oddometer:
    I ended up with QBE when they bought the customer base of one of those on-line only outfits (which I had been with at the time) that shut up shop after a few years.
    Have since found them excellent to deal with.
    I had one claim and phoned them thinking that I was asking them to send out a claim form. Nope, claim done over the phone there and then. Then the phone answerer asked me how my riding gear was: "you have riding gear accident coverage on your policy".
    The only irksome thing in the whole episode was that to get my helmet replaced, I had to take it / send it in to their office.
    I had to pay my excess to the repairer when picking up the bike afterwards.
    So I'm very happy with them - although I do recommend caution on the choice of repairer restrictions - as with any insurer make sure you've got the right to choose.

Cheers
    Brian
    Cruz likes this.
  9. Kiwirich

Kiwirich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another vote for QBE here.
    I choose the Comprehensive agreed value version only now. That way you know what you'll get.
    Last time i had to endure the Comprehensive Market value version ...
    Here's 50 % goodbye.
    I agreed to let them buy another bike for what they offered ...
    Sorry sir none available.
    Just fuckers they are ... the lot of them
    So ... i use the same idea that I do for tools.
    If you really need it to work properly every time... don't be trying to save $5.
    Just get one that works.

Kiwirich
    glitch_oz, Dukehunt and Happy Snapper like this.
  10. Ready set slow

Ready set slow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have all my vehicles switched to budget.Havent had to make a claim yet but their prices seem to be the cheapest
  11. Cuttlefish

Oddometer:
    Ended up just going with TPF&T and AAMI at $86 since the bike isn't worth much and is more for coverage against any potential third party claim.
    Thanks for all the input everyone.
    The differences out there were an eye opener. Hopefully this will be a resource for the next time someone else is chasing insurance.
    Boxa likes this.
  12. crazy cat

crazy cat Crazy cat

Oddometer:
    If you are as old as me you should check Apia. They gave me a good deal on my house ,two cars and bike.
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I figured out years ago that to insure a bike of sufficient value to be worth insuring I was basically buying it again over 6 or 7 years of premiums. So I never bothered. I figured if I wrote one off while I was riding it I'd probably have bigger problems to solve than bike repairs.
    Comprehensive prices seem a bit more moderate these days though, so I comprehensive insured my new KTM 500. Glad I did too, there are bike thieves around my village, a non-running 450 KTM got nicked from a house on the main street a few weeks back as it was outside and unsecured, and a running Husky dirt bike went this week also from another property on the main street right next to the pie shop, the door was kicked in to get to it.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  14. Chuck Thrillseeker

Chuck Thrillseeker I'll Do It Tomorrow I'm Busy Today

Oddometer:
    I'm with Swann, my 2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50 & my 2017 Honda CRF250 Rally cost me $20.40 each a month, so $40.80 a month! Cheap to me for if something happens to either bike...
  15. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    One thing I recently ish realized is the small difference from 3rd party and comprehensive is because your bike if totaled is $5-30k ish but if you inadvertently destroy a house or kill somebody the bill could be "up to" $20 million!
    So, it's the third party bit that costs so much. Might as well get the comprehensive every time. (probably)

Cheers
    Dave
  16. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Nah. That's what the CTP part of your rego is for
  17. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    Not in NSW nor the other states to the best of my knowledge. The CTP with your registration covers harm to people but does not cover damage to any property. Some CTP with registration covers the driver/rider at fault but some don't.
    GodSilla likes this.
  18. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Yes you are correct.

I was referring to the "kill somebody" part
  19. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Step one. Ignore anyone who who hasn't made a claim.
    Step two. Ignore anyone who says their insurance is the cheapest.
    Step three. Go to step one.
  20. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Compulsory Third Party = CTP :D