Bike phone charger

Discussion in 'Australia' started by [Red], Jan 15, 2008.

1. [Red]

[Red] Intentionally Left

Oddometer:
    Dunno if this is a simple process or if it's 205 but i want to be able to run the gps on my N95 however this chews a bit of battery juice. Any help in setting up a phone charger to my bike, kits, info or any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andy
  2. Andy-Gadget

Andy-Gadget Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer:
    There is a little USB to 2mm charger you can buy from Nokia, I have just aquired one, I use it in conjunction with a cigarette liter USB power adaptor to keep my N95 charged on the road.

I have just decided after my last trip around Tassie that I need to make a better USB charger system, which I intend to do by buying another two USB cigarette adaptors and putting the guts in a project box, this is due to the cigarette plug backing out of its socket even when taped in place, grrr
  3. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put a 12v cig lighter socket on your bike, and get a car charger for the phone :thumb
  4. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a 4 PORT USB hub, you can then use the single USB charger instead of buying more and you'll have 4 ports to charge your devices from the one cig plug. You can also get a dual USB charger, same as the one you've got but has 2 USB ports on it.
  5. aussiedav

aussiedav ... it's just a road

Oddometer:
    This other option to save getting cig lighter leads for all your bits and bobs is to get a Power Inverter, mine is about the size of a coke can and if in the car fits in the drink holder.

brand I have is mobitronic MCi-100-12 and got it from a car show.
  6. [Red]

[Red] Intentionally Left

Oddometer:
  7. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the power output of that Dave, it doesn't say on the site?
  8. Pejie

Pejie old rider

Oddometer:
    you would reckon it was 12V 100W from model number but would be good to know for sure. Phone charger needs 20W? Is that right?
    Glad this thread popped up just bought an inverter from Dick Smith rated 230v 150W & it only pushes out 170V [​IMG] Going back tomorrow. but I can only find ones weighing 1.2kg the waeco one looks perfect - 450g
    If I find one that works I'll change the plug to a hella type as they will stay connected while on the bike
  9. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought too (about the model number) but it would handy to know for sure.

My Nokia AC charger outputs 800mA to the phone so probably ~12-15W draw on the battery if the engine's not running (you loose a bit when it's inverted).
  10. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Use a MERIT plug and socket instead of a cigarette plug if you have trouble with the backing out, speaking from experience here! Auto pro, Repco, auto elecs etc stock them, I also run them in the 4B, don't have to worry about the GPS powering down now!:deal
  11. Andy-Gadget

Oddometer:
    I run Powerlec type (or BMW type, if you prefer) plugs to power the system in my tank bag, but the supplied chargers, and the USB ones, are designed to plug into cigarette lighter type sockets.
    This is why I am looking at taking the cigarette part out of the circuit all together.

Oh if only all the equipment could be pluged into straight 12 volt (13.8V) system, but my N95, and my Magellan GPS require 5V, sigh.

BTW, my 150 watt inverter is with my BMW R100 in Brisvagas, so I needed to replicate the system for the trip just completed.
  12. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can get the Powerlet plugs from Supercheap (or any BMW dealer :wink:), and swap it over instead of using the cig socket (chop the cig socket off), if that's any help.
  13. Andy-Gadget

Oddometer:
    Hard to change the plug type without pulling it all apart, the USB charger is the same.

The step down electronics are in the plug, bugger.
    [​IMG]
  14. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    nah, its a piece of cake, did it a number of times albeit with battery charger type fittings when I had the GS, 1/2 hour job, use silicon to seal the powerlec top.

If you like i have a "double cigar lighter female into a single male powerlec fitting" you can have. PM me

rossco
  15. aussiedav

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys should have posted that.

Output power = 100watt
    Surge power = 200watt (don't know what that means)

So it will run most things including a laptop. Well mine does. Girly men may not be able to use their hair dryers with it though :rofl
  16. andtfoot

andtfoot Bike Misappropriator

Oddometer:
    Surge power means that it can handle that amount of power for a short period of time (There is no standard that I'm aware of that defines for how long). The 100W output power theoretically means it can supply that indefinitely.
  17. aussiedav

Oddometer:
    Thanks, much appreciated and will stick that in my memory..... yes I will forget it tomorrow. But I will try.
    :cry