Bike Project Build Table

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JagLite, Sep 30, 2014.

1. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree!
    If the weather allows it I would rather be riding than playing in the shop.
    Our long winters gives me a good reason to spend time in the shop, but not enough that I want to spend time building cabinet doors, repainting walls and ceiling, and making the shop look like we see in magazines.
    I'd rather spend my limited time on bike projects and riding. :ricky
    DiggerD likes this.
  2. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    While you two are right about riding instead of wrenching or cleaning, and my garage make's yours look tidy, seeing framed art on Twin headlight Ernie's garage walls made me feel a little ashamed of how I've let mine get <sigh>.
    MATTY and JagLite like this.
  3. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are not alone... Mine is an embarrassment. But, I guess when you pile tools from a contracting business, mountain bikes, road bikes, camping gear, lathe, mill, three roll arounds, four Gladiator rolling cabinets, a fridge, a lift, shelves... oh, and four motorcycles in a two car garage, it gets a little crowded. At least my wife made a positive comment the other day: "It is packed, but everything out there is good stuff." I need a building. :(
    JagLite likes this.
  4. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    A table saw the size of an airport, a jointer the size of an aircraft carrier, dust collector on a 55 gal drum and the big cyclone one, two work benches, drill press, band saw, router table, dual drum sander, miter saw station, 7 shelving units, two roll arounds, motorcycle lift, 3 big projects taking up 30 sq', waverunner mechanical parts from a cracked hull, 2 Austin Healey doors (don't ask), ladders, serious amount of clamps, junk and lumber storage, pellet grill, and oh yeah, 2 big motorcycles right now. In a 2.5 car garage.

I'd like one of those motorcycle work tables, but no where to put it. Think I'll start with some framed art instead.
    JagLite likes this.
  5. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Going thru a second wave of heavy rain this weekend ...so trying to get caught up with indoor stuff.
    Rider mower yesterday, today ..unbury my retired ZX7R to show the bike stand I built.
    Had some shop grade 3/4 inch thick plywood scraps, and 4 x 4's.
    Bought some 2x4 and drew up a plan.
    I wanted to be able to move the bike on the stand, so I added some caster wheels that I can take off, little over kill, but..we all know about mission creep. Soild, straight forward bike stand, with storage below.
    Shop drawing are under tire for safe keeping ;)

P4070019.JPG P4070020.JPG P4070021.JPG P4070022.JPG
  6. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    P4070023.JPG P4070024.JPG P4070025.JPG P4070026.JPG
    JagLite likes this.
  7. DiggerD

Oddometer:
  8. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Now to find the hinge screws from last year.....grrrrrr....another trip to the hardware store..

Need to make a rear and front stands to get the tires off the deck...slow air leaks...never seen that happen on museum bikes..:lol3
    JagLite likes this.
  9. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    I added a new option to my build table. I made two flange sockets for a old boom mic stand and screwed them into the table. One in each opposite corner..
    The stand comes in handy for hanging a small remote gas tank. I also plan to make a LED light attachment for it for those time a guy just needs a bit extra light.

[​IMG]
    rockydog, DiggerD, chris a and 9 others like this.
  10. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    Here's a picture of the folding project table I talked about in a previous post. It's nice having it on casters to move it around the shop where needed.

[​IMG]
  11. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I said I would post pictures of my adjustable casters once I had them in place. After deciding the first set were functional but a fail my second set of adjustable casters work better. Had the eureka moment watching Binky:D The table is till a work in progress as I form a plan for what I am building. I realized that I will need to build some form of a jig as I am building a Tele Lever front for this bike/sidecar, so need a metal top to be able to weld supports too. I have the sheet of steel and the concrete board I will place under it. As I said a work in progress. The ideas continue as I work on other stuff.
    The first height adjuster-- Works but doesn't if you know what I mean
    lX1yxtWhSyifPIEEE%O3mg.jpg
    The second design-- better.
    8ZZl3Be2TLiUAnI2o7SDfg.jpg
    Going to build two more to replace the first two. My welds would be better if I could fucking see!!
    The project as it sits
    Kv52+dJZSVKEYPgEcD4+kw.jpg
    Oh and try to ignore the disarray, I am a man of many unfinished ideas:rofl
    JagLite, DiggerD, chris a and 6 others like this.
  12. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Saw some store bought work bench feet this week that are foot operated to raise the bench on 4 sides...will try to find them...after coffee...Xmas party last night...moving slow this am.....:D:D:D coffeeeeeee

Cold ride today. Heavy frost last night. Bird baths froze over.
    Should of tried harder to get the modified by me power cord to my heated jacket to work.

Worked fine when I was showing my bud how it did not work after I was home after the ride. :baldy
    I think the plastic was too cold to form around the plug and socket.:lol3

https://www.amazon.com/Workbench-Ca...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795262141067&psc=1
    JagLite, MGV8 and layzrider like this.
  13. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks DiggerD! Need something like those for my tablesaw stand. Has a beefy rolling stand but only one sided swivel wheels.
    DiggerD likes this.
  14. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aren't we all, my friend. Aren't we all...
    JagLite, bbrz and MGV8 like this.
  15. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Progressed a little. We've had the Money Shop closed for the week so every one can enjoy the Holidays. Means I get to Putter in the home shop:D. Any ways made progress, Got the metal top installed and the bike mounted up again. Now I can jig things up and weld them where I need them. I left the lifting eye in place as you never know when I will change my mind again:lol3
    The Castors work " not so bad " as I can roll the whole shebang around with the bike on the table. It's heavy though, don't think those Castors DiggerD showed us would work for this lump. I might order up a set for my other table though.
    YSo1T%dwQ0yioc%GOsGerg.jpg
    8264JKnaQsqDtjU6Iuq3CQ.jpg
    02FDUXy1RpqsEDkKvGsR3A.jpg
    I just have to come up with a better wheel clamp but of course most of this build is going to have the front Forks off the bike, hence the need for the metal top. I'll eventually start a build thread over in Work in Progress, Maybe! :rofl
    JagLite, DiggerD and AK650 like this.
  16. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool wheels on that Honda!:thumb
    JagLite likes this.
  17. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We need more info on the CX, looks like a white CX650E ?
    JagLite likes this.
  18. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Yes, a 1984 CX650E. Got it as a none runner 10 years ago. I was going to restore it but changed my mind. Most of the parts are obsolete or Europe only as it was a Canada only model. Just sold some bits to a guy in Poland. One side was badly sun faded and the other had some road rash from a low side. I rode it around a bit and was using it as a teaching bike for my Daughter. She never did get her endorsement but we had some good rides while she was trying. Then I found a Ural Car for cheap but that is a Story that takes us away from this thread. You can follow that idea here.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/what-the-frig-do-i-do-now.838648/
    Now that the build table is sort of ready I can really start on the next vision, but I'll post that up in a different thread.
    JagLite, Tytan and AK650 like this.
  19. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    I see you are from the " When in drought, make it stout " club.
    Better safe than sorry. Yea, keep your stout wheel feet with that load.:-)

Here is my wheel chock. Comes off when it gets in the way for tire changes / fork removals.
    Will have to say loading a tall adventure bike on this work bench solo is not for everyone, but doable. Ride Fast ~ Take Chances. Words to live by. :D:D[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JagLite and MGV8 like this.
  20. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    When I built my bike table, I was working in a rural Honda shop, and we got the quad bikes (from North Carolina) in a metal cage, which flat packed down. I narrowed one, and cut the legs down for my bike table. It's no problem getting small bikes like the DT230 here up, but it takes 3 people to get my Airhead up the ramp. I've always planned a winch with cable remote...still on the ''one day...'' list. Wheel chock is a bike stand that goes in my trailer, or on the floor to park a bike. Oh, the shed is so clean and spacious !!! Back then, no room to move now.

biketable004.jpg
    JagLite likes this.