Bike Project Build Table

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JagLite, Sep 30, 2014.

1. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I should have build a metal one like DiggerD and you to start with. Of course I had the lumber kicking around so the table was free, right? Then I found this thread plus realized I needed a different surface to work with. I got bearings and nuts to make the next two adjustable castors today but worked on the other sidecar today. As I said, lots of projects.
    JagLite likes this.
  2. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any build table is better than none. :thumb
    What we want our build table to be, and/or do, may change over time, and with the size of our work area. :jkam
    MGV8 likes this.
  3. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    PC300001.JPG PC300006.JPG PC300007.JPG PC300008.JPG One of my favorite moto journalist, Peter Eagan, had never had a bike table to work from until he had serious back problems from working on his bike sitting on the concrete floor 5-10 years ago.

I believe his wife bought one for him not long after his misfortune.

I took some photos of race stands from Laguna Seca Race Track last century, that I modeled my stand from.

Let's see if I can dig them up..soon. :D

Found a couple...after going thru more than half dozen photo albums from camera film....

Took the forks off the XRR project after work. The wheel chock moves out of the way when the bolt is removed and the chock rotated out of the way.
    Extra points for photos of the track, photo taken out my tent of the cork screw.
    Enjoy. See below.
  4. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    And in some cases it depends on what your skills are and what you have on hand. I already have a HF lift for the big girls, but a smaller rolling stand for the dirt bikes also works for a variety of things including the wife painting or refinishing furniture. This stand is typical pine stick wood with a stainless top panel that was destined for the dumpster at work.
    JagLite likes this.
  5. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Huh? :scratch

How often do you paint the wife?

:hide

Could be fun I guess... :hmmmmm
    griffo1962 and Fast Idle like this.
  6. worncog

Oddometer:
    LOL

"...wife REpainting or refinishing furniture."

Guess that's what I get for typing and posting without at least a casual proof reading. And I probably could have tried the wife painting in a time long ago, but now I would just get 'the look'.
    MGV8, JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  7. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    I have been know to attend BMW rallies.
    There was a guy in the 90's that would follow the rallies across the states, supporting himself by changing oil, adjusting valves and the like.
    His work table was two loading ramps .
    One used as the loading ramp and the other supported at each end by the old steel wire milk crates.
    He bolted a 2 x 2 x 1/4 x 5 foot angle iron centered to one of the wire milk crates with holes on each end to attach tie downs which held the bikes upright.
    Worked for him, plenty of room to access oil drains.
    He would work all night long.....I think he had a helpers of sorts keeping him awake.
    Found it hard to believe riders would let him chance oil on their bikes hundreds of miles from home by the likes of him.

Then I did not see him around anymore.
    Rumor had it he was pouring the used oil down the shitters.
    JagLite likes this.
  8. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    PC300008.JPG PC300009.JPG PC300010.JPG PC300011.JPG

Got to walk the track with racer Miguel Duhamel.
    What a nice sight to wake up to, the cork screw.
    If you look at the photo of us walking the track down the cork screw, the hill in the bck ground is where my tent was.
    So I get there, put my tent up and go for my walk about the track for the day.
    I get back and there is another set of leathers and an extra skid lid. WTF ?
    I keep looking, yep this is my tent, sleeping bag, my Langitz leathers...….er?
    Then I recognize the brown set of brown Langitz leathers...oh..it's Al.
    Clever guy to pick my tent out when my bike was not real close.
    MGV8 and JagLite like this.
  9. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had to add a mod. Smooth top plate accepts Mojo’ed Harbor Freight tire changing stand. All my bikes will sit on a moto stand for just tire changes.

Attached Files:

10. JagLite

Oddometer:
    That's an excellent mod! :beer
  11. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    I'm really happy with the addition of the build table to my shop. It has proven to be a valuable tool and frees up the space on my handy lift.
    The bus tubs have been really nice for keeping stuff organized as the build progresses.
    Here's a picture of my most recent project. Just waiting on parts to arrive at the moment. I painted the tank and bodywork a few months back so it should finish up pretty quick once the parts arrive. Thanks again for this thread for pushing me off the fence on the build table.
    [​IMG]
    I should mention that on the left side of the picture is a stack of the bus tubs on a small furniture dolly. The stack was twice as high a couple weeks ago. It a handy way to keep parts organized and mobile during the build.
  12. Damian_74

Damian_74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Left over from some house reno's (new stairs and landing) I had a length of 75x75x4mm RHS. For a bike work bench it is absolute overkill but I can't see myself having another use for it in the foreseeable future - best use it rather than constantly tripping over it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bunnings (local hardware warehouse for those not in Australia) had sheets of 2150x600x30mm Soft wood pine ply for $65, add some Heavy duty 100mm Casters and 20mm leveling feet from eBay, I will be all finished for under $200.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Completely over-engineered but happy with the result!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nervous transfer of the almost finished resto from the fixed to the lift bench!

[​IMG]
    DiggerD, Pezz_gs, worncog and 10 others like this.
  13. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work!:thumb
  14. sruss67

sruss67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So having read through this, and a gazillion other threads I thought I should probably write my first post in this forum as you all inspired me to build a rolling table to work on my new project bike.
    Started out with some pine 70mm x 35mm and a post 100mm x 100mm, cut and mitred the external frame pieces and cut noggings between, cut the top of the posts to sit snugly in each corner, worked out a height (which was too high to start with) screwed everything together and then fitted form ply to the top and bottom.
    Mounted 4x movable locking castors to be able to wheel it anywhere in the garage and keep it out of the way when not being used.
    Also fitted some hooks for tie down points to secure the bike, and made a temporary wheel chock until I get myself a decent steel one and mount it.
    It worked out perfectly to be able to fit some 200mm x 500mm containers underneath to place parts in from the bike.
    I had to cut the height down from my original overall height as being a short arse I would struggle to wheel the bike up and hold it.
    Pretty happy with the outcome, and how much nicer it is to work on a bike at a reasonable height.
    IMG_20200531_110904.jpg IMG_20200531_142846.jpg IMG_20200531_142858.jpg IMG_20200531_145136.jpg IMG_20200531_150920.jpg IMG_20200607_164812.jpg IMG_20200614_141757.jpg

Attached Files:

15. worncog

Oddometer:
    Holy crap! That is some serious long term lurking. Great first post though.

Mitered corners, beefy, blue racing stripes, and a canine quality control inspector to boot!
    JagLite, AK650 and Tanshanomi like this.
  16. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    I bet you were glad you used screws instead of nails ! :lol3
    Nice looking bike stand.
    Looks like it could double as a table for you bear parties.:D
    JagLite and AK650 like this.
  17. sruss67

Oddometer:
    Hahaha, seriously long time lurking indeed, I have lusted after a few different bikes that never happened and found this site to be invaluable for researching :)
    The K9 inspector checks most of my work whilst the other K9 runs around the yard without the slightest interest.

Thanks for the kind words guys, and my next major post will be about the bike on the work stand, my new to me project bike, 1985 DR250S or SP250F for you folks in the USA.
    JagLite and AK650 like this.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome table, and well built!
    I think he should pass on bear parties, they tend to get out of control! :-)
    JagLite and DiggerD like this.
  19. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    So much for sneaking in and fixing my typo....kind of like how it turned out tho...:photog
    JagLite and JimVonBaden like this.
  20. sruss67

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much Jim, and DiggerD, if we were to invite the terrible Aussie drop bear it would get extremely messy :-)
    JagLite and JimVonBaden like this.