Bike protection recommendations

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by LandofEnchantment, Jun 26, 2020.

1. jimmycapp

jimmycapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Blackdog skid plate. Mines taken a beating and still looks new. For headlight protection, I just bought 3m clear bra stuff and cut to fit. It probably won't stop a big rock being roosted directly at it, but the dings and scratches from stuff I typically run into will be fine.
  2. Dreedr

Dreedr Ready to Roast

Oddometer:
    Not a fan of the Rallyeform Skid plate. I’ve had one for a couple months and it bent, chafed into the engine, cracked, hits the side stand bracket when it takes a hit and rubs on the center stand.

5984A87F-D3FF-4A36-BB7B-C7619425F84D.jpeg BAF7F862-B2C2-4761-BA5C-528E25EA111B.jpeg E8884105-3EC5-42BF-9199-75772F48DBDE.jpeg 4BDA7490-A2B7-401B-9073-19E23A44923E.jpeg 1A200E02-0BA5-4FF9-8224-CCA226ADF7CF.jpeg 762CE551-2CE7-4D31-ACB1-53DA4F9830E1.jpeg
    Antti and LandofEnchantment like this.
  3. LandofEnchantment

LandofEnchantment Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    jimmycapp and cbrxxcess like this.
  4. Kmont

Kmont Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outback Motortek upper crash bars are the best. I proved it on a crash. Slammed down onto a boulder. They held up and protected the bike. My Klim gear protected me. I also have their Pannier rack with Mosko Moto backcountry soft bags. Great stuff. The KTM Power parts skid plate, not so much. It bent and my kickstand bolts came loose along with the rear skid plate brackets. Black Dog Skid plate and kickstand relocation is the way to go.
  5. Kmont

Kmont Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone cracked a headlight? The outer plastic looks like it would remove at the clips. I would hope KTM would sell just the outer from plastic. But I haven't found one. Not needing one either. Hopefully I won't.
    LandofEnchantment likes this.
  6. LandofEnchantment

Oddometer:
    I would hope so too. But you never know...
  7. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for giving us a shout out! It's word of mouth that has helped build our business, so we truly appreciate it. :D

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
    jimmycapp likes this.
  8. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
    Thanks for choosing some of our gear to protect your bike. We truly appreciate the business and support!

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  9. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Black Dog skid plate. Solid mounts and not bolted to the engine. Beat to crap and still working. Fully loaded and bashing stair step descents. No worries about kickstand damaging engine cases. Auction sites for crashed bikes usually look fine but have oil leaks in the side stand area
    BlackDogCycleWorks likes this.
  10. LandofEnchantment

Oddometer:
    I’m really digging the Black dog skid plate.

Seems like everybody is happy with it!

I like the altrider one, but the side stand relocation isn’t sounding horrible either.
  11. DakarBlues

DakarBlues One-everythinged man

Oddometer:
    I have the same, I never knew it was made of cheese. Anyway, I just ride tarmac and fire road, I knew that it was not indicated for hard off-road
  12. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
    Yes! We love hearing these real life experiences. Thanks for protecting your bike with our products!

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
  13. jlmccullough

jlmccullough n00b

Oddometer:
    I would go with the Blackdog skid plate over Outback Motortek if you plan to actually have any hard hits. I have the OM one and it did not really stand up to abuse, there isn't really enough support and the rear welds broke and the whole thing bent into the pipes. Can be seen in the top picture of the link to the review below, just in front of the rear mounting point. Seems likely that it happens to everyone who has it actually take a hit.
    https://adventuremotorcycle.com/gear/outback-motortech-skidplate
  14. LandofEnchantment

Oddometer:
    Can someone post a photo of the hardware that came with their Puig headlight protector?

I swear mine is all screwed up. There is no way to mount it to the bike with the included hardware. Not unless you want an odd looking screw and spacer sticking about 1” out from the mounting point.

I’ve been having a lot of trouble with a Vendor that I have spent a lot of money with over the last month. I think this is the next mixup of package contents from them. It would make 4 out of 5.
  15. LandofEnchantment

Oddometer:
    Just looked around online.

looks like Puig has a new model that is compatible with the pre filters. My instructions indicate such.

I was sent the old model headlight protector that isn’t compatible with the filters. Included with the new models hardware... ugh... so it won’t work.

The box had been opened when I got it. I’m assuming someone pulled it out and replaced or mixed up the actual protectors. I just had this problem with a pair of pants from the same vendor.
  16. Jacobwillingham

Jacobwillingham Adventurer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

17. comradecasey

comradecasey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you don't want to do a return and have some freetime you can absolutely make them work with the prefilters. You'll need to cut the spacer down with a dremel and then make a small slot for the arms to pass the plastic of the prefilter and you'll be set.

Happy to hear they made a compatible version though!
    LandofEnchantment likes this.
  18. LandofEnchantment

Oddometer:

Well, I don’t have the two screws needed to mount it anyways. I received a bunch of spacers and some ~1.25” (35mm) long screws. So there isn’t a way to mount it till I get either the correct screws, or headlight protector.

I could cut these screws down to size. It’s not hard, but I’m still a little frustrated that they did this.

Called the vendor and they want me to send pictures to their parts guy so he can discuss with me what I AM DOING WRONG trying to install this thing. Ugh.

I contacted PUIG. Maybe they can send me the correct lower bracket or screws.