Bike purchase in RSA and ride to Zambia

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by AluminumMike, Oct 15, 2008.

1. AluminumMike

AluminumMike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking into purchasing a GS in RSA and riding it back to Lusaka, where I live. I know I could ship it, but what fun is that? Anyway, is there anyone with some insight on what paperwork is required to operate the bike on South Africa highways and cross into Bots? Can I avoid registering the bike and just traveling on sales documents? Will I need a police or export inspection? THANKS!!!
  2. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    i think your best bet is to contact a dealership in south africa. they could conceivably arrange all the documents and arrange your VAT back as well.

Try Mike at Lyndhurst Auto in south africa ....
  3. bluedunes

bluedunes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just brought my bike up from south africa - bought 2nd hand at the KTM dealership. Got it shipped straight to lusaka because I couldn't get the time off work but some of the concepts should be the same apart from the fact that it took 5 months! (because of an extremely slack dealership (a$$4oles)

You'll need a police clearance to take it out of the country as well as the sale documents with company VAT numbers if you want to get your money back.

I didn't need to register it in south africa as it was shipped, but I hear you can get a temporary plate that will allow you to ride it out. I'd recommend a clearing agent when you get it to zambia, will smooth getting it past customs with all the paperwork etc as well as helping register it (another pain in the ass) I used customized clearing in Lusaka.

I was also told that I needed an export permit for the bike, however on much painful investigation was told by customs that it wasn't needed for motorbikes only for cars and bigger.

There is a tone of people at work who have driven vehicles up from South Africa to here, so if you have any specific questions I can find out the answers as needed

good luck! - Shaun
  4. AluminumMike

AluminumMike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I flew down to Windhoek two weeks ago and bought a 1999 R1150GS with 31k on the clock on consignment sale from Danric BMW. They had all the paperwork ready. I rode up to Lusaka through Katima/Sesheke.

I was held up for a day at Katima b/c the SARPCO police inspection noted RSA as the destination, rather than Zambia (so much for the idea of a SADC customs union). I had to wait a day and go Monday morning to the regional police h
  5. OXO

OXO n00b

Oddometer:
    If you doing nothing this weekend why not join four of us on a road trip to Shiwa. The plan is to Leave Lusaka a five in the morning Saturday the 7th were I will join the other riders in Chisamba before riding on to Kapiri and the rest of the trip. We plan to spend the sunday as a rest day and tour the place and then leave on Monday for the trip back to Lusaka. The trip should be around 1500 kms. Cheers The other riders are Andy Theo and Mark..Cheers:freaky

6. Navel

Navel Omphaloskeptical

Oddometer:
    Hi OXO, I would love to read some report on that trip you plan to do, would you share some pictures here, please??:lurk
  7. OXO

OXO n00b

Oddometer:
    Starting a new trip on Monday the 13th July 2009.
    Leaving the farm in Chisamba for Shiwa this time with three other riders. Two from Northen Ireland and one from Kitwe in Zambia. This time we have one XR650 Honda a Suzuki 400 and a Honda XL 400 and then of course my BMW 1150 GS. The plan is two nights at the Hot springs at Shiwa ( Mark Haveys place) about 700Kms day one. Day two rest and then day three to Isanga Bay Lake Tanganika for two days (450Kms) Day five to Mbeya Tanzania for one day ( 320Kms) and then down to Lake Malawi. Two nights at Nkata Bay (480Kms) and then down to Club Mack south of the Lake.(450Kms). Day nine to Bridge Camp in Zambia on the Luwangwa river (700Kms) and then back to the farm on Day ten (320kms) Ten day trip and approximatly 3500kms..Will get some pictures posted when I get back.
    Back up this time is my double cab with trailer and the four wives for Comfort!!!! after all it is winter here.:freaky
  8. Hbdc

Hbdc Honey Badger Dont Care

Oddometer:
    Howzit,

I see this thread is quite old but thought Id give it a shot. Im living up is Solwezi and have recently bought a ktm 640 ADV. Looking to meet some other riders in zambia and maybe plan a trip or two.

Cheers
  9. GavinG

GavinG n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I'm possibly relocating to Solwezi. Would also like to meet up with other riders. Need to find out about taking bikes into Zambia or purchasing there.
    Cheers