Bike Rental Thailand - Bangkok

Discussion in 'Asia' started by ULELUZE, Dec 16, 2010.

1. ULELUZE

ULELUZE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to Thailand landing in Bangkok and looking to get a bike for a week or so. Does anyone have any experience with www.bangkokbikesrental.com They have ER6N bikes for a fair price, but would feel much more comfortable if someone had experience with them.

I am going with someone else who rents from www.siamwheels.com and I had planned to use them as well, but it requires a yearly membership which I would never be able to take advantage of.

Any other thoughts and opinions on places? I am looking to reserve this before I get there so everything is arranged.
  2. Frankko

Frankko Midnight Rambler

Oddometer:
    Good luck with you rental. I rent / own in Chiang mai.

I have not had any experience in Bangkok.

Maybe one of the Bangkok gang can chime in for you.

Frank
  3. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer:
    Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about your plans while in the Kingdom. If you're just going to be in Bangkok, sorry, but renting and riding a bike in the Big Smoke is probably not a very good idea. Bangkok is a city of some 20 million people with mad traffic, unpredictable drivers and greedy corrupt traffic cops. I live in Bangkok and avoid riding in the city most of the time. I prefer to get around in my car, or by taxi or sky train or subway.
    If you're coming to tour Thailand then why not get OUT of Bangkok before you rent a bike? Easy to rent big bikes in places like Pattaya and Chiang Mai. Other parts of Thailand you can always find scooters for rent but finding bigger bikes can be difficult depending on the location.
    Ride On!
    Tony
    [​IMG]
  4. ULELUZE

ULELUZE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am meeting up with someone else in Bangkok who travels to Thailand regularly and has a membership at Siam Wheels. I will not be riding in Bangkok, but just starting there and instantly driving out. Will be on the road for about 1 week, then returning to bangkok.
    I had thought about starting elsewhere, but the other rider is starting in Bangkok and my flight is in to Bangkok, so if there was a reputable shop it would not make sense to travel somewhere else on the sole purpose of picking up a bike.
    If there are not any good rental places I will leave Bangkok to get a rental, but it would be inconvenient...
  5. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer:
    Happy Holidays!

This is the only reputable rental shop I know of in Bangkok: www.bangkokbikesrental.com
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
    Tony
  6. flubberchicken

flubberchicken n00b

Oddometer:
    Tony, any recommendations for bike rental in Chiang Mai? A friend and I are planning on the Mae Hong Son Loop.
  7. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Check out Mr. Beer right in the old city or Tony's Big Bikes. To be honest just walk around the old city for 10 min and take your pick. Just got back from doing the Mae Hong Son loop 2 weeks ago and a 250 dual sport would be perfect. Be sure to pick up a Gt-Rider map and enjoy. Give a shout if you need more info.

Canoli
  8. black_bess

black_bess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canoli mentioned Tony's Big Bikes in Chiang Mai & I would recommend him. But make sure you do a check and a test ride on the bike first.
    I rented a Honda XFM(?)400 which was a great bike to tour 2-up for a few days. In 2008 it cost approx 400Bht per day.
    http://www.chiangmai-motorcycle-rental.com/

The roads and scenery is fantastic - except when they're being dug up!
    But don't get caught out riding after dark when in the sticks - I found out the hard way - no street lights, no cats eyes, vague white lines and oxen carts with candlelight at the side of the road!

A great highlight near Chiang Mai is to ride to the top of the Doi Inthanon National Park (some fantastic waterfalls on the way).

Enjoy Thailand!! I love it :clap
  9. Ranti

Ranti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regarding CM, never tried Tony's myself but has good experience with Mr.Mechanic. My favorite is POP which is a minute walk from Tha Pae gate. KLX/DTX 250 should serve you well but if 2K Bht/day is not a problem you can try their one month old Versys.

If you're armed with dirt bike the Chiang Dao route is highly recommended!