Bike still too loud that I hear ringing in my ears

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by MackenzieHailey, Jun 11, 2019.

1. MackenzieHailey

MackenzieHailey n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Any suggestion on what hearing protection I should buy? I always wear my helmet but I still hear ringing in my ears every time I ride for long hours. My brother said it might be a sign of tinnitus. I tried generic plugs but they don't fit well in my ears and caused some inflammation in my ear canal.

Will appreciate any response from all of you. [​IMG]
  2. Dijkvaneenjoost

Dijkvaneenjoost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are there still people out there riding without earplugs?? Amazing!!

I could not ride withou!!

Get some customer Made for your ears..
  3. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

If you bike has a stock exhaust the issue isn't your bike or your earplugs its your helmet.
  4. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even "silencious" helmets are very noisy at speed (just less noisy than others)

How noisy depends on many parameters (fairing, rider size and position etc). Wear earplugs. Custom made by an audioprothesist are "a bit" pricey but very comfortable and long lasting.
    Alexander B and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  5. Dijkvaneenjoost

Dijkvaneenjoost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Problem usually isnt the bike, its the wind noise..

And even with the most quiet helmet out there you will eventually suffer ear damage without ear plugs...
  6. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a wide variety of ear plugs out there; you just have to expand your search.

I bought Aerostich's reusable assortment and found some that fit my ears. I've been using that style for many years. I recently had custom plugs made at an audiologist, but I'll continue to use the type I found in the Aerostich assortment since they are both quieter and more comfortable.

https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-reusable-earplug-sample-kit.html

They also sell a disposable assortment. (Even reusable ones don't last forever so they're both sort-of disposable. The difference is just how soon.)
  7. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mighty Plugs are a good solution if your ear canals get irritated. Flents silicone plugs available in most drug stores also work for sensitive ears.
  8. zjay

zjay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Feels weird not riding with earplugs. I'll get headaches after if i don't use them.
  9. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    MackenzieHailey likes this.
  10. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I can't ride with earplugs, after about 15-20 minutes I am ready to claw my ears out....which is damn hard with a helmet on.

In my case its alergies that make my ears unusually waxy......but I am used to it at this point.
  11. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    I suggest you go out and buy several different brands and shapes. Learn how to install properly. Find the pair that fit well and block the most noise. An ill-fitting plug will be uncomfortable and will not be as effective as a good fitting plug.
  12. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Wind and mechanical noise on motorcycles , can be hard to determine the exact cause, a good place to start and solve your noise problems is to ride at your chosen speed and stand up on the footrests a little moving your helmet into or out of the turbulence from the screen.
    if standing up reduces the noise your next step is to remove your screen and in fact the whole handlebar area fairings if practical do do so.
    You want to get the bike down to as close to a naked bike as its possible to get and start from there.
    First try the bike with any different helmets you may have see if you can find a notifiable difference in helmets you have re wind noise, then try taping on a diy screen of a smaller or larger hight to put your helmet in the least turbulent position when in your normal ridding position.
    Sometimes depending on the bikes size and other aerodynamic factors can get by with incredibly small fairings/ screens. by way of example in the 70s i had a Trident T150v and i fitted a small over headlight fly screen that despite its diminutive proportions, did actually deflect air neatly over the top of my helmet at 60 to 70MPH and the bike was a joy to ride on long runs it was so quiet but had a loud enough exhaust the wind noise was very tolerable.
    Now this triumph was fitted with straight bars and the ridding position had you slightly over the tank, and leaning forward which put your weigh at 60 to 70mphwell and truly off the lower bars and again was so comfortable to ride.
    If you stood up ever so slightly you could feel the turbulence arrive and with it the loud wind noise. This ancient history highlights the right screen size is not necessarily the biggest, wind is deflected but rain protection is another thing and a bigger screen can pay dividends then.
  13. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can get custom ear plugs made for shooting sports. Go to your local indoor gun range and get the name of a company who does it for them. If you just want to try some get some swim plugs or sleep plugs. Surefire make some different models that may work for you also. You may have to try different style plugs to see what fits you the best. I have one ear canal larger than the other so I need two different size plugs or I just wear my custom Ear Inc ones.
  14. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whole lot of options,as suggested above.
    Try the soft foam plugs first,some have NRR up to low 30's
    Try shooters plugs.
    Can get custom plugs made at many motorcycle shows,events,rallys.
    The trick is to find something comfortable with a high NRR value(Noise reduction rating) and to use it consistently.

If this is recurrent issue,as suggested,then you should see an ENT MD,get full Audiology evaluation.
    This does not get better typically,you need to protect what hearing you have.
    You do not want to get to the point of having constant tinnitus,it is miserable.

Change of helmet,windscreen can reduce the noise causing the issue.

JR356
  15. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first 100ft of not having my earplugs in (forgot to put them in, left them out for off road etc) I hear all kinds of new noises making me think WTF is wrong now.
    perterra, russell44, VonHelm and 4 others like this.
  16. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    Tinnitus sucks. I tried a sampler ear plug pack a few years ago and settled on this style. Can still hear traffic, talking, music, etc. I never ride without. Period.

Howard Leight by Honeywell MAX USA Disposable Foam Earplugs, 200-Pairs (MAX1-USA)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DMLYBM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I buy the 200 pair box (non-corded/individually wrapped) and it lasts almost two riding seasons. Keep extras stashed in pockets, tank bag, etc. Give away to forgetful riding buddies, etc. I use a fresh pair every riding day (will reuse throughout same day ride). Also use them for lawn work (mower, weed whacker, etc.). Search how to properly seat the plug - makes all the difference! Good luck!
    Forty-Won and MackenzieHailey like this.
  17. SeanF

SeanF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hearos brand earplugs make many different types, sizes & softness levels.
    The blue ones hurt my ear canals if used more than about 30 minutes.
    The "Ultimate softness" beige-colored ones are right on, for me. All-day comfortable. 32db noise reduction.
    Buy them in bulk, keep them near your helmet & gloves, chuck them when they start to look gross.
    I have tried the silicone ones, but it hurt to mash them against my ear hole & I never felt like they would stay in place. Possibly user error.

I occasionally look for uncorded, active noise-canceling earbuds, so I can have noise reduction, and also have nav/comms in my helmet without in-helmet speakers. Haven't found that unicorn yet.
  18. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in the 70's I had an annoying ringing in my ears 24/7/365. Read in a med book it could be a zinc deficiency? Bought some zinc supplements and don't remember the time span...couple weeks, couple months(?). But one day noticed whoo the ringing was gone. It's never returned.
    Not saying that's your issue but for $10 it's worth a shot?
  19. randallz2002

randallz2002 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    laser light by howard leight are low pressure versions and are easy on the ears...I can wear all day with no issues...
  20. Pinarretta

Pinarretta Wubba Lubba Dub Dub Supporter

Oddometer:
    JR356 and MackenzieHailey like this.