Bike still too loud that I hear ringing in my ears

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by MackenzieHailey, Jun 11, 2019.

1. S21FOLGORE

S21FOLGORE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, first, let's check out if you are wearing ear plugs correctly.

If you value your ability to hear, it is worth spending five minutes to watch this video.

Are you inserting your ear plugs correctly?

Don't twist and insert foam ear plugs like this video

Oh, BTW, I use the Moldex Pura-Fit 6800, the ones that are shown in the video.
    [​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Pairs-Moldex-6800-Disposable-Uncorded/dp/B01M33YAYJ

Second, about inflammation in your ear canal.

Do you wash your hand before inserting the ear plugs?

Never, ever, roll the foam ear plugs with dirty fingers and insert them into your ears.

I carry Motul M4 hand cleaner and wet wipes in my Aerostich R-3's front pocket.

[​IMG]
    The real advantage of Motul hand cleaner is that it is truly waterless. You don’t have to rinse your hand with water. You don’t even have to wipe it off with paper towel.
    You don’t have to carry the whole tube. You can move it to smaller (sealable) container, as you can see in the photo.

Also, DON'T reuse the disposable ear plugs. Never wash them and reuse.
    You don't have to throw away them every single time you stop.
    But, discard them at the end of the day, or if you drop them on the ground, floor.
    (You never know what kind of germ the ear plugs pick up.)

And, about this ...
    Motorcycle helmets are, not designed to protect your hearing.
    Some are quieter than the others, but, really, they are not mean to be the hearing protection.

The very basic rule of "quiet helmet" is, that it has to be air tight. (Especially around the neck roll area.)
    Look at the photo below.
    From left to right, Schuberth C3 Pro, Arai RX-7-X, AGV GP Tech (Most quiet to the loudest, in that order.
    Also, hot to cool (in warm/hot weather) to wear, in that order.)

[​IMG]

GP Tech looks HUGE, compare to C3 Pro and RX-7, but it is acutally S size. (C3 Pro size M, RX-7 size S )

[​IMG]

GP Tech has best air flow, and it's one of the loudest helmet.

Look at the C3 Pro's neck roll. Notice how small the opening is?
    That makes this helmet so quiet (and air tight). And, HOT in summer.
    [​IMG]

RX-7 (This helmet is also pretty loud.)
    [​IMG]

GP Tech
    [​IMG]

So, don't expect your helmet to protect your hearing.

Aerostich's sample kit is a nice place to start.
    They have both reusable and disposable.
    (I like disposable ear plugs, for obvious reason.)
  2. MackenzieHailey

MackenzieHailey n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know it's all my fault. LOL!
  3. MackenzieHailey

MackenzieHailey n00b

Oddometer:
    Yup, mine is stock. I hope I just need a pair of plugs because I bought my helmet and it's a bit pricey. I know it's not about the price but I have a good quality helmet IMO.
  4. branthopolis

branthopolis Long time lurker Noob

Oddometer:
    Been using Hearos "Ultimate Softness" plugs for some time... 32db and plenty comfy in my ears.
    MackenzieHailey likes this.
  5. MackenzieHailey

MackenzieHailey n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clearing this out. I think I should look for good quality hearing protection. I don't wanna end up deaf just because I didn't take care of myself.
  6. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    You should definitely check first, if you're using your plugs right. It is unbelievable, how often I see people doing it wrong.

Bose QC20 earplugs work for me. There is a bluetooth version QC30 available, but somewhere here people describe the battery case interfering with their jacket collar.

Pip
    SeanF likes this.
  8. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    The constant loud noise also creates stress. It's impressive how much more relaxed you will be after hours of highway riding, if you've used earplugs. This also applies to flying, by the way.
    VonHelm and Grinnin like this.
  9. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Howard Leight plugs.

I buy a case every couple years. Seriously. Just don't ride without earplugs.
  10. Dijkvaneenjoost

Dijkvaneenjoost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Read somewhere that at highway speeds you will suffer permanent ear damage if you ride without earplugs for 15 min..
    Your not instantly deaf, but the ringing you mentioned could be the start of tinnitus.
    So keep rising without earplugs and someday you’ll have this sound your head 24/7!!!

You only get on body, threat it with care.....
  11. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great, thanks for starting yet another ear plug thread.
  12. seaduck100

seaduck100 You just got smoked by an old guy on a cb500x

Oddometer:
    What?
  13. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would contact a hearing aid place and see about custom earplugs made for your ears. Crazy to ride without ear plugs, you are damaging your ears.

Sena has a noose canceling helmet. I have not used it so not sure how well it works but looks interesting for sure. Still think you would need ear plugs though if you ever ride with your visor open.
    https://www.sena.com/product/momentum-inc
  14. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use 3M E-A-R and some similar ones (-39db) from my local hardware store. It is funny, while they are expanding in my ear, how the traffic noises die down. You could also try custom ones shaped to your ears but they are in my opinion too expensive. Many music instrument stores also sell inexpensive custom molded earplugs kit. Then there are active noise cancelling in ear headphones. Check the Bose CQ20 thread on here. https://advrider.com/f/threads/bose...long-term-south-american-ride-review.1157477/
    If you have loud exhaust, replace it with a quiet one. I recommend system helmet, they tend to be quieter because they close around your neck. Your Goldwing 1800 probably has a windscreen so you are not in clear air, buffeting caused by that screen can create different noise issues.
  15. Dijkvaneenjoost

Dijkvaneenjoost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was about excessive bike noise
  16. GerGa

GerGa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use Howard Leight Laser Lite foam ear plugs.
    How to install foam plugs: I just realized I am not installing my ear plugs properly because I don't pull on the ear to straighten the ear canal. I have just been rolling them up.)

I won't ride without them and always carry an extra pair with me because once you wear them they don't roll up as easily.
  17. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    First thing to do is make sure the aerodynamics of your bike are ok so you aren't getting turbulence on your helmet.

Once that is fixed, get some Bose noise-cancelling earbuds. I rode for years with foam earbuds but I don't like them, I think the problem is they block high-frequency sounds better than low. But, they will stop you from going deaf.

Either way, don't do nothing. I remember rides after which my head would just be buzzing the rest of the day. Now I have no hearing above 2.5 khz, and hearing aids.
  18. Sundude901

Sundude901 n00b

Oddometer:
    I too would recommend the soft, disposable type. Hard to beat those. I sometimes stuff with solid, reusable ear plugs. They then to build pressure up behind them and cause discomfort after I remove them.

I just picked up some Earpeace plugs and have been very pleased with them so far. They are a double flange instead of the normal triple flange style that hurts my ears. They have the “filter” that allows some noise through...I’ve always felt that was kinda gimmicky , but I’m pleased so far. I’ve also tried Eargasm plugs and can not recommend those.
  19. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    you are correct however as you can see these types of threads always turn into an ear plug thread.
  20. amboss87

amboss87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just started this year riding with earplugs. I first didn`t like it as it is one more step to start the ride, but now i absolutely love it. I have the Alpine Moto Tour- and Race Kit for ~30€, re-usable, good voice understanding and so much more comfort.

Only problem is that I think I will loose one of them sooner or later while taking gas, having a coffee etc., they are so small...I know myself...:doh