Bike still too loud that I hear ringing in my ears

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by MackenzieHailey, Jun 11, 2019.

1. VonHelm

VonHelm corona ring

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Howard Leight MAX Lite. I buy the corded version by the case on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-LPF-30-Disposable-Polyurethane/dp/B0752MHRB4/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=max+lite+howard+leight&qid=1560723246&s=gateway&sr=8-8&th=1

I have small ear canals and these are very comfortable. I just loop them over the mirror when I stop.

[​IMG]

The really weird thing is that I hear better with the plugs in than out. I'll also second how much more relaxed and focused I am riding without the constant roar of wind noise.

And I also discovered these at Academy Outdoors, over by the firearms and shooting supplies section. I take a box with me when I travel both on the bike and the truck.

I give them out to my buddies if we're sharing a room or cabin, and my wife on the rare occasion we are trying to sleep in the same room because we both snore like old bears. :lol3

It's the only earplug I've ever found that is truly comfortable enough to sleep in.

[​IMG]
    Speed Wheeler likes this.
  2. Speed Wheeler

Speed Wheeler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd say this is worth investigating
  3. Andy_L

Andy_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another top tip: if you have trouble inserting foam ear plugs, lick them first. They'll slide right in.
    russell44 and KingOfFleece like this.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Knowing that noise damage is accumulative the main thing is that the OP is taking action. matters not so much as to where blame is placed as coming to a solution of protecting what hearing you have(left in my case) and know when to use protection too. Many common devices in our lives will damage hearing. I hope it's obvious there is no all inclusive solution. I use ear muff styles when possible as they are best first choice much of the time in tool or equipment operation.
    Knowing how sound is measure will be instructive to many here! Read via google about how loud horns are measured for sound level to see the dynamics of the physics of sound. It is not as we would think, e.g. opening a water faucet and volume grows as you open the valve.
    Ringing, i.e. tintinitus is a daily life thing for "noise induced hearing loss" people like myself.
    It never goes away...:nod
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  5. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    Ummmm, no thanks. :eek2

Intentionally introducing bacteria into your ear canal may not end well...

Simply compress them tightly without twisting them. Pull up on your ear to open the canal and they’ll fit right in easily.
    MackenzieHailey likes this.
  6. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    This
    I use/reuse those red foam ear plugs, and the key to comfort for me is I shorten them up by cutting off the rounded/bullet shaped nose.
    Another way to reduce wind noise is to plug up the helmet vents from the inside with extra ear plugs.
    You will be amazed at the noise reduction from this simple mod.
    jmo,
    :lol3
    MackenzieHailey likes this.
  7. MackenzieHailey

MackenzieHailey n00b

Oddometer:
    This is the first time I got this much response. I really appreciate all of your help. I haven't been active the past few week because I'm busy at work and at home.

Well, around the time that I posted this I met a guy (a fellow biker) who owns a company that makes custom hearing protection. He lives about half an hour away from where I live and decided to give him a visit. I thought he only operates within South Carolina but I was amazed when he told me that they also have service providers all around the U.S. Their business seems legit and the products look high quality... so I had him mold my ear impressions.

They are going to deliver my hearing protection on July 3rd and I'm really excited. Here's what I ordered. https://www.bigearinc.com/product/filtered-motorcycle-earplugs-legal-in-all-states/

I almost forgot... his business is called Big Ear Inc. and they also go to local and international motorcycle shows regularly.
  8. sdbeck

sdbeck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked to see if I missed something but what kind of noise are you getting? Is it just clean air or are you dealing with? Buffeting, exhaust? How fast are you going? Maybe knowing what you ride could help. After years of dirt bikes I ventured into my first street bike. 2013 VStrom 650. I had no idea how noisy it was going to be. I rode it with stock windshield and no earplugs for awhile and it was stupid loud. In fact, I couldn't see any fun in riding a street bike. By the time I started wearing earplugs I had already damaged my hearing. Funny thing about that bike is I could stand up in the clean air and the noise level was so nice. Sit down and it was like riding in my car at 100mph with only the back windows down. It was terrible.

I finally changed the windscreen and started wearing earplugs. It was better but the turbulence around the helmet just made it seem like I had plungers over my ears and someone was pushing them in and out. I would still get ringing ears after riding. Oh, and also tried 3 different helmets, different earplugs, etc..

I dumped the bike and now have an FJR1300 and WR250R. With the oversized, electric windscreen on the FJR, life is good. Still wear earplugs but don't get the turbulence and is so much quieter. Even the WRR is so much better at highway speeds than the Strom was. The wind is there but it's clean air so it's much quieter and tolerable. My point is that depending on your particular experience, hearing protection may not completely resolve your issue but you still need to use it. Noise is a strange thing. It can travel through your bones to your inner ear.

Some people will claim they don't have any issues with hearing loss after years of riding without protection. Those are the people you have to repeat everything to three times.

I've also learned that the earplug debate is almost like an oil or tire debate. Just try different types and find what works for you.
    kantuckid and AdvNener like this.
  9. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen the "molded for you" ear plugs at MC rallies but (takes all kinds?:lol2) dislike the idea of a pricey plug when on the road living out of my pockets, sidecases and a tank bag, etc., especially when I can buy Walmart plugs cheap and thrown them away, if I don't lose them first.
  10. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    I may be being putting on my tin foil hat here...
    New member asks about riding noise/ear plugs/yada yada as his 1st post, gets 3 pages of good informative responses.
    His come back response contains a link to a Ear Plug Company owned by a guy he just met :hmmmmm.
    Seems like an info-mercial too me, but I'm paranoid.
    just sayin'
    :lol3
    edit: all that and linked company's headquarters is in the same town as in his profile...shocking I know.
    I don't expect him to be back anytime soon...
  11. x_hog_ridr

x_hog_ridr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    HMMMMMMM Good point.
  12. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Skeptics abound.

JR356
  13. MackenzieHailey

MackenzieHailey n00b

Oddometer:

Nah, man. I'm just busy with work the past couple of days and I'm really stoked about the response here. Sorry if my story seemed sketchy. LOL. But that really happened. Me and the guy just had a casual talk about motorcycles in a parking lot.
  14. MackenzieHailey

MackenzieHailey n00b

Oddometer:
    Don't worry guys. I read all your comments and suggestions and I'm still thinking if I made the right decision of buying custom-molded earplugs.

I should have tried other alternatives first.

It seems like the skeptics are uniting. This is not an infomercial. I repeat. this is not an infomercial. LOL!

It just so happened that I met the guy. I didn't even know that there's an earplug company near me.

Again, thank you for all the help.
    kenstone and JR356 like this.
  15. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    I find your experience to be normal. On ALL rides (except little jaunts in town), I wear ear plugs, modified by:

1.) Cutting the outer 1/3 to 1/2 off with scissors.
    2.) Sometimes cutting a ~20% slice off left-to-right.

Usually this makes them tolerable inside the helmet.

Without earplugs, at speed on interstate, or fast offroad riding is far too loud amd easily in the permanent-hearing-loss volume.

Ive been doing this for 15 years and will not stop.

Recently boight a good Sena Bluetooth noise-cancelling helmet intercom but I still use the earplugs. It makes it just right.
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw no reason toward a concern for anything commercial except the OP's hearing? When we lose face value here it becomes a poor place to hang out.
    At the point you get ringing, you are then damaging your hearing, it's that simple. We might think it has bounced back but it IS!!! accumulative.
    kenstone likes this.