Bike storage in Anchorage

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Emasen, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Emasen

Emasen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks,
    This year my plans have been cut short so I am going to need to store my little Vstrom for approx 10 months from the end of my trip to Alaska, 5th Sept 2019 till May/June 2020 and my return.
    Last year I was fortunate to find a kind fellow biker in Oregon that let me use space in his garage for the price of some rare Irish Whiskey through this forum after completing the PCH.
    Ideally, I would like to find a similar soul where we could work something out between us....
    Otherwise, I would be grateful for your assistance to find suitable reasonably priced storage that you would recommend in the area.
    Thanking you in anxious anticipation.
    Mike

PS. I'm from Ireland so if any of you need help planing a WAW (Wild Atlantic Way) trip from your bucket list, I would be happy to help in any way.
  2. jeepmedic

jeepmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know the motorcycle shoppe and the Honda shop both in Anchorage store bikes. The motorcycle shoppe is storing and shipping my bike for me back home to WI. Great experience with them.
    Emasen likes this.
  3. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    The Motorcycle Shop 907 561-1165, will serve you well. I stored a few bikes there last winter.
    Emasen likes this.
  4. Emasen

Emasen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks folks,
    Having the motorcycle shop as a backup plan is excellent and knowing they will take good care of it is very reassuring.

Ideally if possible I would prefer to leave it with a fellow biker so that whatever deal is struck between us is: a/ not commercial, b/ a reflection of one biker/traveller helping out another...... payin it forward so to speak....... maybe I am being nieve in my hopes on this, but I would like to try. It worked for me last year as I met a great guy/biker and his family and a good connection between us has now been established. Trust is a big part of this for both of us.... has to be.

Am I mad or just innocent to consider this approach?
    And
    Why would this approach be any different to any one of us helping out a fellow traveller stuck on the side of the road if we could. Many even go out of their way to help....just take a look at any of the posts seeking help on this forum..... multiple replies.
    AKDuc likes this.
  5. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    I once stored a bike for a traveler. It was supposed to be for 8 months. He didn’t come back for 5 years. During that time I moved to a different house. Had to find room for his bike at a location. Life happens!!
  6. Emasen

Emasen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, the nightmare senario.... I spoke about a situation like that last year with my space provider. The relationship while not commercial is based on trust and understanding.
    Our agreement was if I didnt turn up within the year I said I would or communicate with him a change of dates or plans that was agreeable to both of us then he was perfectly correct in selling my bike, taking any expenses he incurred in selling it and send me on the remainder.
    What happened you was very unfair and would colour your judgement on offering help to another traveller, which is a pity as all travellers lose out as a result.
  7. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have space for storage but, I'm in Fairbanks.
  8. Emasen

Emasen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for your kind offer. I am trying to Finish this year in Anchorage only because its the easier airport to fly out of and into for me. The following year God willing its Fairbanks and all points North.
    I will hopefully reach Fairbanks this year too around the 3rd of Sept so if your around and interested I would love to buy you a beer or something to thank you for your offer. I never cease to be impressed with the kindness of strangers when all we ever get to hear on the media is about the badness and hate in the word.
    Thanks again.
    Mike

PS I have currently got 2 offers of storage in Anchorage that I am trying to finalise one of. Again the kindness of strangers in action.
  9. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mike, OK, good to hear you have a place. I'll be out of town on the 3rd but thanks for the offer. Good travels! David