Bike taken by Customs in Lima, Peru. HELP?!

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Dean74, Dec 4, 2012.

1. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Oh. I thought we were doing motorcycle ride reports. I didn't know it was a travelogue or cultural exchange program. There are blogs for that.
  2. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
    Well for starters on this thread you will be having to stay in Peru for a hell of a lot longer than a week or two doing your ride report. Some reports give a whole lot more than others, mileage/time varies greatly.
  3. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Zaxtly:deal
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Colleen and James decided that Peru was our favorite Country of them all.

Yes we got stopped by POLICE...we DID cross the double yellows :puke1

We didn't pay though...we used the ever useful "no fumar Espanol"......it worked!

What we enjoyed most was the Andes and the Indigenous peoples.

We detoured off the Pan Am to Cajamarca and also to Puno on Lake Titicaca. We were tight on funds and time, but it was well worth it.
  5. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    John. James. You guys are the same. Maybe too similar. Maybe we can all meet in Oklahoma this summer.
  6. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I certainly would not have waited this long to take action. The way I understand the law is that the bike is now considered "imported" and you'll need to pay massive import taxes to get the bike out of impound, unless you can get them to make an exception.

Are you in Peru or back home? If back home, I'd say prospects are fairly dismal. If I were you, I'd try and get someone important to look into the matter. Go to the ministry of tourism or any other office you can think of and see if you can gain the ear of someone fairly high up. Tell them your sad story and don't hesitate to make it appear that the consequences of not resolving the matter will leave your life and future in tatters. Perhaps, you can convince someone in the press to gain interest in the story, call Peru 21 and the other newspapers/media outlets to see if you can get a reporter interested in your plight. If they get the impression that bad press may start to arise, it may lube up the system.

Do you know anyone of rank or importance? A police chief, a higher up government official, a university chancellor, a military commander, a powerful business owner etc? These are the types of people who can get the gov wheels moving. It is likely that the lower tier officials are sitting on the bike and hoping you will lose interest. You need to make them feel like it's not worth the trouble and a KTM 950 is worth a fair bit of trouble down there.
  7. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The op was made over a year ago.
  8. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oops!.... Well, hopefully, the advice I posted may end up being useful to someone else. Glad to hear he got his bike back.

Also, while here, I might as well clear up a little misinformation.
    I was able freeze my permit and store my bike in Peru for 9 mo. The process is quite simple. Go to SUNAT, make sure you have an emergency reason to leave the country. I used "sick mother," a universally accepted emergency in S Am. You will have to show proof of emergency (I used an eMail from my brother) and proof of transport out of the country (I used an eMailed flight itinerary). You then go to the police and let them confirm that the bike is indeed what and where you say it is (sunat will give you a form for them), they check the VIN and confirm where it is stored. Take your papers to SUNAT and you can get permission for up to 12 months. I'd recommend somewhere with a helpful "tourist police" office. I did it in Cuzco.

My permit was reactivated shortly after I returned. They said my paper would work as a temp while I prepared my bike for travel. You are "allowed" five days to get all your paper work going again after you returned to Peru. They didn't seem concerned with this.

Finally, many have escaped scrutiny of their paper work, by leaving Peru through the unmanned boarder crossing North of Lake Titicaca. You can then ride to La Paz and sort out your Bolivia TIP. I've never heard of anyone entering Peru by this route.

I'd certainly not discount the Peruvian Andes, which can be the highlight many people's entire S Am trip. I you like high mountains, glaciers, remote routes, fun tourist towns and welcoming women, the Peruvian Andes are not to be missed.
  9. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    You don't seem to understand how advrider works. Rarely outside of ride reports does any thread stay on track.
  10. Wump

Wump aka Mister Wisker

Oddometer:
    I could easily spend a month up around Huaraz and North. Absolutely amazing scenes up there.
  11. Wump

Wump aka Mister Wisker

Oddometer:
    Spot on description of how it is meant to work. Glad the system worked properly for someone!

Sheltered in that you didn't encounter any of the rampant corruption.
    And I don't dispute there may be corruption and police problems in the US as well. All I'm saying is Peru is ripe with it.
  12. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    I don't believe an extension is possible. Your 3 month permit may be suspended under certain circumstances and after returning back to Peru, the suspension is lifted, allowing you to use what's left on your previous 3 months. If you have already used almost 3 months, you are better off to exit Peru , you won't get more time added to your TVIP.
  13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:

Ok for OK....................

Colleen and James can be there in two days! bmwrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm