1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Bike wanted in kuala lumpur

Discussion in 'Asia' started by thecanoeguy, Jul 4, 2011.

1. thecanoeguy

thecanoeguy just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer:
    Hi , if anyone has a cheap little bike for sale in kuala lumpur in mid august , or even knows of a bike please drop me a message , not fussed about what bike just reasonably cheap to get me around for 5 weeks, or if someone has a suggestion of best place to look
    Cheers Dave
  2. griffin146

griffin146 Coming in Hot.....

Oddometer:
  3. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    I have question about registration for a scooter, if a plate on the bike starts with KD does that mean it's from another region , if so, can I change to my name in Kuala Lumpur
    Thanks Dave
  4. griffin146

griffin146 Coming in Hot.....

Oddometer:
    ''k'' reg usually means one of the northern states i.e Kedah. If its only 2 alphabets in front of the number that usually means an old vehicle or an old reg on a new vehicle. If there is another alphabet behind the number that means its from Langkawi.
    Either way there should not be a problem changing the reg to your name in any RTD office.

Just to be 100% sure you can contact the RTD here -http://portal.jpj.gov.my/index.php , click on the British flag above for the English version.

If you are going to be riding/touring for 5 weeks , are you sure you want a scooter and not a small motorcycle with 6 gears ?

hope this helps.
  5. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    a small japanese bike with six gears would be smart and sensible ,i don't seem to be either, thats why i want to do it on a vespa plus i want to take it back to australia with me when i finish
  6. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Registration is a big deal in Malaysia. On small dual sports (XR250 for ex) the plate is at least 1/2 the value of the bike. 2 identical 8 year old XR250's for example - the going price of one with a legal plate is about 15,000 Ringet and without a plate is about 7,000 Ringet.
    If you're a smooth talker and riding more than 1/2 off road and in small towns you could probably get away with an unplated bike for 5 weeks. Just make sure to get it muddy in the jungle first and don't clean it up after that :lol3.

Under 150 cc the above rules don't apply - they are all pretty cheap!
  7. 'Dicko'

'Dicko' Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you're only here for 5 weeks I'd just roll the dice and not worry about rego. I've been living in Penang for two years and riding all over the country I've never been stopped on my bike. I've been stopped in the car and all the cops wanted was some "coffee money", so at a guess, even if you did get stopped and playing the dumb tourist didn't work, a couple of Ringgit will.

If you make it up this way give me a yell. I'm always keen for a ride.
  8. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    have some work to do now, and busy until the 19th ,so unfortunately i have to change my arrival point and that is now bangkok ,the birthday party i am going to is now at pattaya not phuket,so i am on the hunt for a bike in bangkok,thanks for the tips guys ,i may even ride down to KL ,not sure just yet
    dave
  9. bedoqstar

bedoqstar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    why dont u try a bike rental.. for a small moped easy to get
  10. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    rental is a pain ,too may rules and i never know where i will end up ,i have pretty much always bought some sort of bike for these trips ,i have rented a bike up in chang mai for a shorter time ,but that was years ago
  11. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I'm curious ... I know you can buy something like a 12 year old XR250R for about $1,500 Australian in Thailand but that would cost about $4,000 in Malaysia. I'm wondering if you buy one in Thailand what it will be like to bring it here into Malaysia?