Biker dies after bird hits helmet

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by dieter von hexhead, Nov 24, 2004.

1. dieter von hexhead

dieter von hexhead I made a doodie...

Oddometer:
    Biker dies after bird hits helmet

By Kris Hall

A LOW flying pheasant collided with a motorcyclist to start a sequence of
    events that led to his death, an inquest heard.

David Bone was riding along the A355 Beaconsfield Road, Beaconsfield,
    when the bird hit his helmet. After struggling to regain control, his bike
    clipped a street sign, throwing the bike sideways onto a grass verge where
    it crashed into a large tree.

Amersham Coroners Court heard on Wednesday, November 17, how the
    married 57-year-old engineer had been travelling to work at about 6am on
    March 3.

Richard Wilson, of Cullyn Road, High Wycombe, was driving an HGV to
    work when he spotted a headlight on the grass verge.

He said: "I saw a light. At first I thought it was a fly-tipper. As I closed in I
    could see a person dressed in motorcycle gear, half on the verge and half in
    the road."

A post mortem by High Wycombe consultant Dr Michael Turner revealed Mr
    Bone had died from "several non-survivable injuries", including severe
    damage to his head and spine.

Emergency services were called to the accident but Mr Bone, of Court
    Lawns, Tylers Green, was pronounced dead at the scene.

PC Andrew Bryant, of Thames Valley police collision team, explained how
    part of the victim's visor was found on the carriageway covered with the
    pheasant's blood.

He said: "We know it hit the helmet because it removed the visor. I would
    think it momentarily stunned him. But the injuries he sustained were from
    the impact with the sign and tree.

"He was very unlucky. There is evidence of braking. A second impact. But
    the bike remained upright until it hit the verge."

In recording a verdict of accidental death Bucks Coroner Richard Hulett told
    the court: "He was the victim of the most bizarre and extreme bad luck.
    But anyone who observes the flight of pheasants in the countryside will
    know they don't fly very high.

"To actually have one coincide at head level with the only motorcyclist on
    the road at the time, the odds must be huge."

source
  2. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    That's too bad, my heart goes out to Mr. Bone and his family. Bird strikes are scary. I hit a pheasant but fortunately was driving my Jeep at the time. It flew up from the left side of the road and angled right in front of me, hit the upper left-hand edge of the grill, right next to the headlight, and literally exploded. I was traveling at about 70mph and suddenly my windshield was covered in blood, feathers and gore. I immediately slowed and pulled to the side of the road, turning on my windshield wipers to clear away some of the mess. My first thought at the time was "Wow, I'm glad I wasn't riding a motorcycle when that happened!!" A pheasant is a good sized bird and hitting one at speed with one's head, even wearing a full-face helmet, would not be a pleasant experience.
  3. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    My buddy Brent Watson, quite possibly the unluckiest limey bastard on the planet (excluding Mr. Bone) did the very same thing near London about 10 years ago.

He was doing about 110 MPH down a country road on a Fireblade when a Pheasant flew up and hit him square in the helmet. The impact took him off the bike and he spent 3 weeks in a coma.

A few years later he and I were at a track day at the Dutch TT in Assen, Holland when he crashed while doing about 120 MPH. THey had the whole event from start to finish on video. The back of the bike stepped out under accelleration and the caught and high sided him. He came down on the windshield and tank and the impact with the bike caused it to topple. He endded up sliding, flopping down the track about 300 feet. It was horrible. Broken wrists, punctured lung, broken ankle, broken ribs, abrasions fom when the crappy Fieldsheer leathers he was wearing disintegrated and all the wanker kept repeating to me was to find his cheap, plastic Nike Watch because some bird gave it to him. Sentimental wanker.
  4. Jim Bud

Jim Bud Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is one reason I like to ride with a decient windscreen...I'm using an Aeroflow now......will it help with this kind of impact??? :ear

I figure it can't hurt......it's something to duck behind at least....
  5. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Sad story, poor guy:cry

Riders really need to consider how to deal with the very real possibility of bird strikes; just ask Captain Ron:rofl

I have had a few bird helmet hits and two direct ones. Both of the direct strikes would have taken out my visor but they did not because rather than just duck I looked straight down at my tank and hit the birds with the very top of my helmet. In both cases I could see feathers and bird parts fly by. I even took a full grown Mallard’s body off the right shoulder and the birds head off my helmet last summer head’n to the Ouray get together. Once again I just looked straight down and the Mallard felt like it was gonna tear my shoulder right off. I was bruised and sore for a week.

The other thing riders must be ready for is ride'n blind. Sounds crazy but it can happen for a number of reasons and happen in an instant. Two times I can remember well; once the biggest bug I have ever hit obliterated my face shield so that I had to keep ride'n straight while I messed with my face shield to get it up. The other time I had to look straight down at the road next to my bike in order to stay in my lane and hope I could slow before the next corner because the morning Spring sunlight burst through the trees in the mountains as I hit a switch back and turned due East, I was completely blinded. The early morning sun was very low so there was no way to shield my eyes with my hand and an open or closed visor made no difference.

Daymn, I got kinda carried away there didn’t I :lol3

Oh well, bottom line is; riders need to be think'n and need to be calm 'cause crazy shit happens and it can kill ya. :nod
  6. Superannuated

Superannuated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My condolences to Bone's family and friends.

Birds are a real risk. Riding home from Ouray I got a helmet hit from a mid-sized bird. I saw it coming just in time to look down so it hit near the top of my helmet. No harm to me, but I'm glad I didn't take it in the face shield. I'm really glad it wasn't a larger bird.

Superannuated
  7. Colt03

Colt03 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    During this years Green Mountain 400, one of the riders hit a turkey !

To add insult to injury, a passing vehicle stopped and stole the turkey !
  8. Ostrich

Ostrich Jaded and Happy

Oddometer:
    Poor guy man. That really sucks. I almost hit a turkey Vulture in the foothills, but managed to swerve around it while it took off. It was prolly good that I saw it considering a flock of them were munching on a huge ass dog. If I didn't swerve I would have ridden right over the carcass. That would smelled nice the whole way home. :uhoh

Hope the family is doing well and at least he died doing what he loved. May he RIP
  9. OUtback UFO

OUtback UFO GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer:
    It always sucksto hear a rider go in a freak accidential way. Birds are freaky things to hit since they pop out at all direction other than just on the surface of the road... :cry
  10. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the riders in the BMW club i once belonged to was struck and killed by a parrot, the police on arrival were ready to write the whole thing off as just another speeding biker going to fast for his own good. It was only with the persistence of other riders at the accident site that the police had a good look at the bike where feathers were found, it put a whole different completion on the accident and possibly insurances pay outs
    Ed.
  11. Gordon Bennett

Gordon Bennett Just you wait

Oddometer:
    The first pheasant I hit smashed the fairing on my Suzuki TL1000, then a pigeon hit me on the helmet, but fortunately at slow speed. Six months ago another bloody pheasant lunged at me - this time flying straight between the fork tubes and hitting the lower triple clamp. I'm still finding feathers and guts when I clean it.
  12. osii

osii Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer:
    that's almost as bad as being killed by a banana.
  13. andmoon

andmoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    watch out for those birds. I had an unscheduled meeting with a turkey vulture three years ago. The bird was heavy enough to knock the wind out of me. I knocked the poop out of it but it all deposited on me and my bike. A police car came by but the officer refused to shoot the broken winged bird claiming it was against the law to kill a bird of prey. The darn bird was too big and scary looking for me to pick up so I think it died a slow painful death.
  14. xtphreak

xtphreak from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer:
    silly boy, you need more practice ....
    when you start to choke just take your hand off the back of your head
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  15. xtphreak

Oddometer:
    I've taken out a quail and a dove with helmet hits ... just tucked the sunvisor down on the speedo and held on (goggles & sun visor on openface helmet) in the past.
    This summer we were coming down Old NC105 along Linville Gorge, I was in the lead :D and took a steep hill a little fast.
    Topping out, I was on the rear tire coming down the backside of the hill, when I noticed a bunch of somethings in the road immediately ahead.

They took off like a covey of quail, in all directions including down the road in the same direction I was going.

Then I realized they were TURKEYS.

The one in front of me was flying as fast as he/she could, I was staring up a big turkey ass from 2-3 feet away and trying to slow, thinking
    "I don't want a 35 lb turkey ass in the face"

Luckily, we didn't collide, but my buddies were busting their guts laughing when we stopped.

Wish I'd had one of those helmet cameras.
  16. xtphreak

Oddometer:
    and there's yet another reason to carry a gun when riding besides protection and signaling :thumb
  17. Tiny

Tiny Wonky Eyed Bastard

Oddometer:
    He probably could have shot it. But could you imagine the amount of paper work involved after discharging your weapon? And then there's all the shit he'd take down at the station. And the briefing to your superior...

"Did at any time, you ask the vulture to surrender? Did you consider pepper spray or your baton?"

"I thought I saw a gun."

Probably just not worth it.
  18. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Uh oh......

Since I had no cops or firearms to finish off the dang vulture in my "incident", I used a large rock on the head.....
  19. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    A NJ rider was killed this year by a turkey buzzard. Hit him in the head, and he ended up swerving head on into a truck. Bad news.

Someone on here hit a turkey this year at the GM400, don't remember who.
  20. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    GM400? I'm not sure exactly what that is, but the only Advrider I know of that hit a turkey was Lonestar. Really messed up the bike, too.