Bird Strike

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Hookalatch, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does if he just ate chicken.
    zoid and CaptCapsize like this.
  2. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in '93, when I was living in Australia, I got hit in the chin part of the helmet, by large parrot. It nearly knocked me off the bike.
    A moto cop on his way to work, had a crow hit him straight in the visor, killing him. This was only days after my incident.
    I've had few bird strikes since then, but they all connected with fairing or the forks.
  3. Moto Fix

Moto Fix n00b

Oddometer:
    Killed a large turkey vulture yesterday with my windscreen and my helmet. 2013 Multistrada. Was like a baseball bat to the head and I saw double for a moment...., was able to stopped the bike after a couple seconds of stunned riding. Hwy 128 west of Lake Berryessa in Norcal at a brisk pace. The bird (and his partner) went from high on my left to diving in front of me @4 feet off the ground. The birds’ reaction to the bike noise was similar to airplane vs bird...., they dive. The bird smelled horrid, probably because he was enjoying a lunch of dead skunk. 7EE02E45-6DF9-47B2-82E8-851783A76E08.jpeg 42F96395-57B5-498E-A417-E9D847D3B800.jpeg Quite happy it’s just sore shoulders and neck.
  4. zoid

zoid Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer:
    I hit a turkey vulture a couple of weeks ago on my way to Wisconsin. I was on a roller coaster highway in Missouri and was having way too much fun with the weightless feeling at the top and the compression feeling at the bottom that you get when you are riding about 20 to 25 mph over the limit. I had just topped the roller under acceleration and was starting down the coaster when I spotted movement off to my left. I grabbed a handful of brake about the same time that I watched it hit my left handlebar. Watched it roll up my chest and smacked the left side of my helmet hard enough that I had tunnel vision temporarily.

I kept thinking "don't pass out". Got pulled over to the side of the road finally, slid off the bike, and sat on the ground drinking water for awhile. I thought the smell of the feedlot I had stopped near was horrendous until I recovered enough to check out the damage to my bike and realized the stench was buzzard guts on my handlebar and all over my jacket. I wasn't near a feedlot. Those vultures sure do explode when you hit them at 75.

Five dollars later at the car wash and my jacket no longer drew flies. I thought the headache and upset stomach were just the after effects of vulture strike on my helmet and the stench. A nurse friend told me that I more than likely had a concussion.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  5. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a very close call with a Blue Heron riding into work last week. He was coming in for a landing in a creek that the road crossed. He was coming in from the left and was planning on landing to my right. I didn't see him until it was almost too late. I'm always watching for deer, dogs, coyotes and fox through there but not for birds.
    I hit the brakes , he hit the brakes by backflapping his wings and he landed on the road beside me.
    I knew a guy who was killed on his 1st day of retirement. He was knocked off his bike by a low flying Canada Goose which was taking off from a field.
  6. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may want to reconsider this "gods" concept. I think you were on the right track about being told something but maybe a little off base on how many. You made your ride and survived and given another chance.
    gen1fizzy likes this.
  7. kavallerist

kavallerist Alltid hästens fel

Oddometer:
    Hade a good friend who was a motorbike courier, rode all weather rain, hail and snow -when winter came they chuck on dubbed tires and keep working. He was fearless. Only thing he said he was truely scared of was a bird strike.
    Moto Fix likes this.
  8. runpet

runpet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For what ever reason I have been seeing a lot of Sand Hill cranes this year. A couple weeks ago I almost hit a family of cranes as I came around a sharp curve. They are pretty big when you see them that close in the middle of the road. Last week it happened again on another road. See them in the fields now all the time. Heard that the state is thinking of making a hunting season for them. [​IMG]
  9. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had one of those standing in my way on the bicycle path on my way in to work a few years ago. His head was slight taller than mine when on the bike. I passed slowly to one side, and he stared at me from a foot away. I felt like I was encountering a dinosaur.
  10. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had three bird strikes. Two were small blue jay sized. One to my knee, armored pants exploded the little guy, I barely felt it. The second was to the front of my 1200 Bandit. Didn't even know until I got home and found a bird in my oil cooler.
    The third was a blue heron. I was riding down from Monitor Pass toward Markleeville. The heron came out of the brush on the right side of the road and turned right into me. I was on my 1100 GS. He hit the beak of the bike and the headlight, slid up the windscreen and went right over my head. Scared the shit out of me. I had to pull over for a bit until I stopped shaking.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  11. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Inactive User

Oddometer:
    Those things are the worst, and when you do a lot of rural riding, you learn vigilance. The problem is that it takes them a long time to get airborne. Around here, because the area is so treed, that almost always means they take off across the road rather than away from it if you interrupt their dinner.

Surviving a turkey vulture to the head is something... you should have bought a lottery ticket that day.
  12. East End

East End Bilge Rat

Oddometer:
    Impact force of a big bird strike: A hen turkey flew off the shoulder and struck the left front pillar of my 94 Suburban @ 70mph. The impact bent the pillar and broke the windshield.
  13. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Sum of forces = mass x acceleration.

A big, heavy bird is gonna fucking hurt no matter what happens.
    Turkey vultures are not very agile or smart birds -- when I see them in the road ahead, I slow WAY down. I almost hit one with my car a month ago because the damn things just can't get out of the way fast enough. Crows and other birds seem a bit smarter to move out of the way for traffic but the vultures seem to constantly underestimate how long they need to get away.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  14. otto

otto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last year I was pulling away from the Costco gas pumps doing about 10 mph in the parking lot when it felt someone smacked me on the back as hard as they could with both hands. It was one of those big-ass Canadian Geese, I don't know what he was thinking but, after the hit he was laying off to the side looking dazed. I wouldn't want to hit one of those bastards at speed.