BITTER END DUAL SPORT NOV. 1,2020 (No IL)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Mad Jack, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Mad Jack

Mad Jack TOYS IN THE ATTIC

Oddometer:
    Ya 2020 has been crazy and to add to it we danced with our date around to try and be kind to another event which ended up cancelling ! To help clear up some confusion wanted to post we are indeed having our DS on the traditional date of the first Sunday in Nov.
    Only big change will be no food stand.
    Here is a link to our web site flyer. https://timthedork.wixsite.com/brushpoppers/media
    Ask any questions you want here and I will try to answer them.

Roost On
    Mad Jack
  2. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a question. How much single track will there be? I like single track.
  3. Moose Dog

Moose Dog Mr. Nice Guy

Oddometer:
    Will it be KLR 650 friendly?
  4. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    There is never enough.
  5. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    No, but it will be 990 friendly. But you're not coming anyway.
  6. Moose Dog

Moose Dog Mr. Nice Guy

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is true, but my heart will be there, Mad Jack and the Brush Poppers M/C put on a hell of an event, it has always be my favorite.

IMG_5225.JPG IMG_5237.JPG IMG_5238.JPG IMG_5242.JPG IMG_5258.JPG IMG_5261.JPG IMG_5240.JPG IMG_5256.JPG IMG_5244.JPG
    dtysdalx2 and Critic like this.
  7. Mad Jack

Oddometer:
    How much single track? Super "G" you know how much is out there. But to try and answer that as much as we can find in our 45~50 mile loop. If you take out the fields, tractor lane 2-tracks,and connector roads maybe around 50% true tight single track.

KLR650 friendly ? Moose good to hear from you and nice pictures! I would not want to ride something that big and heavy out there but it could be done with enough skill and strength. Hell my DRZ400S weighs 318lbs. Only know this because after I got my ass wore out and beat up at the Ellsworth Wi. dual sport I weighed the turd......then cried ......I miss my "E".

Some more trail comments: that nice trail in the tree rows picture is a whole new world thanks to the DERECHO, Brush Popper member Ray Ray does that section and as we were working trail yesterday he stated most years it takes about 3 hours to lay out that trail, this year he has over 8 hours in there !! This seems to be the norm for 2020. Lots of trail changes and chain saw work. Some trail work days end with many people in the I hate Mad Jack fan club......example "we could go that easy way but if we cut a hole over here and though all of that crap over there we'll gain some more single track"........"what you jumped out in the field instead of cutting those 6~10 logs? we've got 5 chainsaws with us today lets go open it up" OK maybe I know why I'm not everyone's favorite but I'm in there with them and meat eating riders should love all of us.

Roost On
    Mad Jack
    Moose Dog likes this.
  8. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I propose if the logs are 4' or less in diameter just leave them in the trail and we'll ride over them. Less chainsaw work that way.
    andrewgore likes this.
  9. Moose Dog

Moose Dog Mr. Nice Guy

Oddometer:
    It was a comment directed @ a couple of guys that showed up about 10 years ago on DR650's with 50/50 tires and were bitching about how impossible the route was and claimed "this ain't no dual sport ride" well no shit Sherlock, maybe you should have left your top cases & panniers @ home. Those of you who that are not aware of what most midwest "dual sport rides consist of" they are basically hard core enduro corses, knobby tires are a must and nothing bigger than a 450 has any business signing up for one of these events IMHO and even then it shouldn't be your first time riding your bike offroad, you will not have a good day. With that said, Bitter End is an awesome ride given you have the right bike, tires and skillz. I wish I could make it this year Jack, but we moved to Michigan a couple years ago and we have plenty of local DS rides here to attend, besides I sold the toyhauler this summer, so I really don't do the big events anymore. Good luck to you and the hard working Brush Poppers M/C, hope mother nature smiles upon you this year.
  10. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    All you need is an old CB550 with a worn out knobby on the back...
    andrewgore and reveille like this.
  11. Gerken

Oddometer:
    I call that the Geneseo method.
    SnoPro753 likes this.
  12. Moose Dog

Moose Dog Mr. Nice Guy

Oddometer:
    20201013_121305.jpg
  13. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    The one time I rode this event was on my KTM 690 Enduro R.
    It was a lot of fun on that bike.
    Maybe this year I can get down there again.
    reveille likes this.
  14. Moose Dog

Moose Dog Mr. Nice Guy

Oddometer:
    I literally used to have nightmares about the old snowmobile cable swinging bridge you had to cross, first year I rode Bitter End, I came up on a traffic jam halfway through the ride, I patiently waited in line as the bikes piled up behind me, when I realized what was going on and first laid eyes on that bridge, I was like "you've got to be kidding me", there was no turning back at that point, probably the most scariest thing I've ever done on a motorcycle, damn near fell off it on my first crossing.
  15. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    I waited for you once back in 2012. I think the video may show I didn't wait long. :lol3 I get antsy when it's roost time. :ricky

Unfortunately I've got a family obligation for November 1st, so hopefully leaf river stays on. :thumb
  16. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    When you ride with Moose...you get used to waiting.:1drink
  17. Moose Dog

Moose Dog Mr. Nice Guy

Oddometer:
    I think 2012 sounds about right, that's the year I bought my 2500HD, you slept in your dad's pickup truck that night, I showed up around day break, you had a rough night trying to sleep because the winds were howling all night and the door on the port-a-potty was unlatched and beat itself to death all night. We took off together that morning but ran into huge back ups because off some big log crossings that were pretty intimidating to some newbies that couldn't get over them. The club scrambled to chain saw them out, 2 Wheels cheated and cut across a field around them (actually was a smart move, wished I had done the same but was too late once we were jam packed in the woods. I followed Jeff Fredett for a while that day, up until we came to the cable bridge, he went around everyone, crossed the bridge and disappeared (imagine that), was a great day, we got back to the trucks, had lunch and did another loop, if memory serves me correct, good times indeed.
  18. Smudge!

Smudge! Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you waited till after Nov 3rd all the Covid restrictions will be gone, no more need for them.
  19. Gerken

Oddometer:
    UPDATE for October 26; A few field and road connections to make but trail work is nearing completion. We have not had near the moisture as in years past and even the swamps are firm. The weather guessers tell us this week and event day appear very favorable. We are expecting a large crowd and COVID protocol will be in place so pay attention. No food stand so be prepared. Pro tip; I like string cheese. A rider meeting replacement sheet is available at the gate but you all have phones so how about just let Ray hold it up while you take a picture to avoid contact? Everyone needs to sign the AMA release and I'm sure you have a pen with you right? If we use a building for any purpose inside attendance will be limited. As per the AMA referee (that's me) report we will need your name, full address, AMA number, email, motorcycle brand and year. Be prepared to easily convey this to the signup crew so we can enter it in our computer system. We have an AMA card reader that really speeds this process up so have that handy if possible. You can join the AMA here and they would prefer you handle this electronically; https://americanmotorcyclist.com/join-the-ama/ We highly encourage membership. Entry fee is $40 so please have exact change if possible, no credit cards and checks payable to Brushpoppers M.C. If society ever wants to slay the virus dragon we all have to work as a unit so please, let us all do our part this weekend.
    reveille and reedski like this.
  20. Mad Jack

Oddometer:
    The meeting just ended and here is the update: The start has been moved about 2 miles south, the address is 18418 Spring Valley Rd. Morrison Il. 61270 Please have your mask on at the gate when you sign the release and get the rest of the ride info. Also where it at the sign-up table. Bringing your own pen would be helpful.
    I want to thank the helpers who came out on the 18th. the timber i was in charge of went very well and we managed 2 + miles of sweet single track. It was great to be out bullsh*t'n with the men all day in the woods even if it got a little chippy at the end of the day.
    Roost On
    Sunday Sunday SUNDAY!
    Mad Jack