Black Dog Cycle Works Skid Plate Install

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GPHusky250, Nov 15, 2013.

1. GPHusky250

GPHusky250 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wanted to forward a few photos of the BDCW skid plate. Took about 20 minutes to completely install it. Easy Peasy. Take a look at the size of the stock PLASTIC skid plate compared to the BDCW.

Why BDCW... (1) It covered the catalytic converter (2) two bolts and it's off (3) easy to get ahold of a human at BDCW and (4) American made...I like when our guys are getting the work, not built and assembled in China.

Any questions, just ask.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    crunk
  3. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice unit!
  4. J&K

J&K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kurt at bdcw is a class act and all about great products. Good choice thanks for sharing.
  5. matt.the.ogre

matt.the.ogre Fair-minded Villian Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll jump in here to mention that I cracked my OEM skidplate (F800GS), replaced it with a BDCW skidplate and never looked back. I've hit some big stuff, including dragging the bike over a berm and a tree, and the BDCW plate shrugs it off.
  6. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    To me it appears that that it covers the complete oil cooler. Maybe its just the angle of the photo?
  7. rsmith2786

rsmith2786 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It does fully cover the heat exchanger and you want it to. This is a plate heat exchanger that is water cooled.
  8. jttele

jttele Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've also enjoyed the BDCW, but had a couple of fitment issues that were fixable. First, the stock center stand spring on the left side hits the plate pretty bad. I was able to bend the plate to fix that. The other issue that was more of a problem was the fit with the Remus headers. The Remus uses springs to join the three pieces together, and the bottom springs hit the plate pretty hard. I ended up milling a recess in the plate to clear that. BDCW says this plate works with the Remus exhaust, but my experience has been different. Still love the plate overall, just think they need to tweak it a bit in a couple places to fit right.
  9. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    Ahhh
  10. GPHusky250

GPHusky250 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had to go and look, but my left hand side spring contact the skidplate, but not to the point where it impedes getting the bike up on the center stand. Next time I have it up on the lift I'll clamp the front wheel and cycle the center stand a few times to see the extent of the contact. I think the owner of Black Dog would be amenable to any feedback to make the unit fit the GSAs.
  11. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just installed the BDCW yesterday and have the same issue. In the pic below it looks like the plate just barely contacts the spring. Mine makes solid contact and a noticeable noise when putting up on the stand.

I wonder if it could be ground down a little. I need to figure out over what range it's making contact with the spring as the stand is operated.

12. jttele

jttele Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I just took a pair of vise grips and clamped them on the plate and bent it in a good bit in that area. It took a bit more bending than I thought it would to completely clear it. I still noticed recently that it was slightly touching as it was moving down. Guess I need to do one more bending session next time it's off.
  13. KTMforget

KTMforget Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. We will look into this when we return to the shop next week.

one suggestion I have in the mean time - there is some adjustment in the mounting points where the u-nuts are located. If you shift the u-nuts to the right side of the holes, that may improve / resolve the rubbing issue with the spring.

Thanks again for the support. We love to hear our skid plates are taking a beating from our customers!!

Kurt
  14. KTMforget

KTMforget Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. Please see my suggestion above about the adjustability of the mounting points.

As for the Remus spring - we had to balance giving up ground clearance and some contact with the Remus exhaust spring. Given that relatively few riders will do the full remus exhaust, we did not want to loose significantly more ground clearance in order to clear the spring enough to avoid a possible rattle. While we understand that rubbing on exhaust spring is not optimal, we believe it is not detrimental to the bike either. The main area we had to engineer around the Remus exhaust was the front part of the Remus header, as they extend quite a bit further than the stock headers.

As I said, we will take a look at the center stand spring when I return to the shop next week.

Thanks again for your support
    Kurt
  15. rplo

rplo n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone do an install on a R1200 GS/GSA LC? If so, any photos/notes etc. of the install?