Black Dog Cycle Works - Ultimate Skid Plates for KTM, BMW, Honda, Etc.

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by BlackDogCycleWorks, Apr 2, 2018.

1. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Black Dog Cycle Works (BDCW) - Skid Plates

Whether you're just getting into adventure riding or a seasoned pro, choosing the best armor for your bike may not only save you thousands of dollars in repair related expenses, but can ensure you make it out of the backcountry. The BDCW skid plate is the highest rated, indisputably best engine guard on the planet—we don't call it the ULTIMATE skid plate for nothing! Why ride with anything else?

All Black Dog products are proudly made in America.

[​IMG]

We offer BDCW Skid Plates for the following bikes!

HONDA

Honda Africa Twin (2016+)
    BDCW - ULTIMATE Skid Plate

[​IMG]

BMW

BMW R1200GS (2005-2012) / R1200GSA (2006-2013)

BMW R1200GS / GSA (2013+)
    BDCW - ULTIMATE Skid Plate 2.0

BMW Scrambler / Urban GS

BMW F650GS Twin (2008-2013) / F700GS (2013+)

BMW F800GS (2008+) / F800GSA (2013+)

[​IMG]

KTM

KTM 1290 S (2017+) / 1290R (2017+)
    BDCW - ULTIMATE Skid Plate 3.0

KTM 1290 Super Adventure (2015-2016) / 1290 Super Adventure T (2017+)

KTM 1190 (2013-2016) / 1190 R (2014-2016)

KTM 1090R (2017+)

KTM 950 (2003-2006) / 950S Adventure(2003-2006)

KTM 950 Super Enduro (2007-2009)

KTM 690 Enduro (2008-2017)

KTM 500 EXC (2017+) / 450EXC (2017+) / 450SX-F (2017+)

KTM 500 EXC (2012-2016) / 500 XC-F (2012-2016)

KTM 450XC-F (2012-2016) / 450SX-F

[​IMG]

HUSQVARNA

Husqvarna FE701

Husqvarna FE450 (2017+) / FE501 (2017+)

Husqvarna FE450 (Pre-2016) / FE501 (Pre-2016)

- Black Dog Cycle Works

www.BlackDogCW.com
    IdahoRenegade, squid61 and MtnRider2 like this.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    ADV discount?
  3. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
    Sorry we don't. Since most of our customers are on the forum we think it would be disingenuous of us to raise our prices then make our fellow riders enter a discount code to get the "real price".

We try to keep our prices fair from the start and provide top quality parts, advice and customer service that will EARN your business.

Thanks for your support
    Kurt
  4. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been going back and forth between the BDCW Africa Twin skid pan and the AltRider. Can you tell us why the BDCW is the better option? What are the major differences between the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
    Our Skid Plates are 3/16" 5052 Aluminum offering great protection. We selected this grade of aluminum to give you complete protection with enough absorption to keep your mounting points intact. Another popular feature is the very durable two-stage powder coat. The skid plate is powder coated and then clear coated giving you a very durable, long-lasting, finish for many adventures to come. As always, we wanted to make maintenance like oil changes very easy. This skid plate can be removed and re-installed in just minutes.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to contact us directly. We are always happy to chat about our products:
    http://blackdogcw.com/send-us-a-message/

BDCW - ULTIMATE Skid Plate (Honda Africa Twin)
    [​IMG]
  6. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for the reply. It is good to see a company willing to detail their product directly. I appreciate the time and the consideration. I will let you know if any other questions come up when it is time to buy.
    IdahoRenegade likes this.
  7. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
    Anytime - Happy to help!
  8. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 F650GS (twin).....only question. How involved is the installation? I know my limitations. LOL.
    THX
  9. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
    We designed these to install and remove very easily if needed. 15 minutes... maybe 30 if you're taking your time.
  10. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ktm 1090 Adventure question:

A few people have stated the opinion that the BDCW 3.0 skid plate system is “overbuilt”. When I look at the materials and parts it actually looks pretty weight efficient. I was wondering if you have a weight for the system? It’s kind of apples vs oranges here as your kit includes the sidestand relocation, but I still think weights would be interesting.

Thanks for the great products!
  11. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
    (THE LONG ANSWER)
    I guess we should take that as a compliment. I think "overbuilt" is a matter of perspective. Yes, our skid plates are built extremely tough. That is not an accident. It should also be the last skid plate you purchase for your bike.

Plates that are often less expensive don't provide near the protection as the Black Dog designs, so if you find yourself in a situation where you NEED more protection, lesser units often fail and can result in damage the bike, which gets expensive in a hurry (the header pipe alone on most models is $1600+), not to mention if the bike is not ridable, now you have an extraction do deal with and depending on environmental conditions, availability of drinking water, etc. things can get serious quickly.

Not trying to create fear, but the reality is that riding in the remote areas that we often find ourselves, sometimes 50+ miles from a paved road and even further to civilization, outfitting a bike with less expensive equipment that doesn't provide real protection just doesn't make sense to us. The risk is just not worth it.

We talk to customers everyday that purchased units with less protection and saved a few dollars, only to have them fail, THEN the customer calls us for a replacement. We feel the motto "buy it right, buy it once" really applies to these situations.

To answer your question:
    Our 1090 Adventure Skid Plate w/ Side Stand Relocation weighs 11.9lbs. What most don't consider is our system removes what I am guessing is about 2-3 lbs of stock parts.

Thank You for the support! Enjoy your weekend
    The_Eccentric and bark sampler like this.
  12. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
    Have a BDCW Skid Plate? We want to see them in action. Post photos of your BDCW equipped ride!

[​IMG]
    The_Eccentric and FarmerKeith like this.
  13. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
    Are you part of our Mailing List? Sign up at www.blackdogcw.com for email alerts on products updates, information, and what the BDCW team is up to. One of our latest updates is the Version 2.0 Ultimate Skid Plate for BMW F800/700/650 GS/GSA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Version 2.0 Ultimate Skid Plate for BMW F800/700/650 GS/GSA

Our original skid plate for the BMW F800/700/650 GS/GSA Twin series has long been viewed by many riders as the absolute best protection available for these machines. It has earned the reputation to take a beating, long after other skid plates have given up and gone home (if they were lucky enough to do so).

It has been over five years since we first released our original skid plate for these bikes, during which time we have learned a LOT and sharpened our skills even more. Given that, we decided to take a fresh look at our design for these bikes and we think many will be pleased with the results!

Our new offering features:
    • Sleeker lines
    • Improved ground clearance
    • BURLY hard-core construction (of course)
    • Still removes with only two bolts for maintenance
    • New improved main bracket system
    • Excellent protection for the header pipe and catalytic converter
    • Unique attachment to frame at rear of bike

Unfortunately this version is not compatible with the Remus header system due to the improved ground clearance.

In Stock and Ready to Ship

For more information and to order: CLICK HERE
  14. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
    Here at BDCW, we strive to make the TOUGHEST most DURABLE products on the planet for your motorcycle(s). Don't take our word for it...listen to what our customers have to say:

We just received a note from Leigh Ainsworth about his recent experience with two unfortunate kangaroos. The stock GSA crash bars didn't fair so well and the skid plate took the brunt of the impact.

I had my wife riding pillion and it was a bit earlier than we should have been on the road due to it being over 40 degrees (C) for ten days in a row. We were on the 2nd last day of a 19 day 15,000 km trip around Australia. We were on cruise control at 125 km hr and I didn't see it until it was about a meter away.
    The roo hit the front left of the front wheel then into the skid plate and crash bars. It really didn't knock us off line that much! The roo and joey weighed about 40kgs so not a big one.
    Damage

• Broken front guard upper crash bar very bent from the top mounting bracket.
    • Lowers crash bar bent back into rocker cover which was moved back off its gasket.
    • Most plastics had to be replaced as a lot of the capture bolts and retaining points were broken.
    • It didn't look bad, and it wasn't, I just removed the crash bars and reset the rocker cover used a few zip ties and we rode home 1500km.
    • Don't get too emotional over the roo they are like flies out here I think the estimate is more than 20 million. They are our worst road hazard.
    • Slight bend on leading edge of the skid plate which I think wore most of the impact and saved severe damage to the exhaust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are VERY glad that Leigh and his wife are OK! Hitting a 90 pound animal at 75mph is no joke. We have to admit we are very pleased with the performance of our Ultimate Skid Plate for the R1200GS / GSA LC. To take that kind of impact with only a minor bend proves once again just how stout are parts are made!

www.blackdogcw.com
  15. Dover

Dover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the BMW 1200 GS V 2.0 what are the changes over V 1.0?
  16. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
    Thanks for asking, Dover

Our new 2.0 design is compatible with stock AND 21" aftermarket wheels which are gaining popularity with hard core off-road GS risers. In addition, unlike our original design, the front fender on the GSA and Rally models do not need to be trimmed, making this a direct bolt on accessory.

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
    Dover and FarmerKeith like this.
  17. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
    Here is a KTM equipped with a Black Dog Cycle Works Skid Plate! Great to see some BDCW bikes at Overland Expo West. Maybe we'll make it out there next year

www.blackdogcw.com

[​IMG]
  18. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
  19. justrider

justrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A482F9D6-B087-487C-88F9-834810902F6C.jpeg I just installed my BDCW skid plate on my 17 690 Enduro R. I looked at a lot of different skid plates before buying yours. Made in the USA means a lot. I have been a Wolfman luggage dealer for 11 years. Eric makes one hell of a product.

I got the same vibe from your product. I love the silver vein powder coat and the clear over it is a nice touch.

Thank you for not outsourcing your product like most companies do.
  20. BlackDogCycleWorks

Oddometer:
    Thank You for the support. We greatly appreciate it

- Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com