Black Hills: September 19th-21st 2019

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by tannerc, Jan 30, 2019.

1. tannerc

tannerc Pig Pilot

Oddometer:
    (legal preachers keep to yourself)

A couple weeks ago @c-zulu were out in very remote area riding. Before the ride we were going over communications and planned on using Sena helmet coms for the ride. We ran into a suggestion to use Baofeng UV-5R (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baofeng-UV...-Two-Way-Ham-Radio-Walkie-Talkie/202429357103) radios. I already had a radio that would work and C-zulu picked up a uv-5r. We bought helmet kits for the radios, gave them a quick short range test and headed for Idaho.
    These things work AMAZING! The range is UNBELIEVABLE! The battery life is OUTSTANDING!
    The sena cant even compare, not even close..
    I will be running one of these for coms from now on.
    Lutz and c-zulu like this.
  2. tannerc

tannerc Pig Pilot

Oddometer:
    BAM!
    :wings

:rayofThe forecast is looking perfect for the ride!:rayof
    70's & " Brilliant Sunshine " :happay
    We deserve it after last years snow! :vardy

Attached Files:

Lutz likes this.
  3. tannerc

tannerc Pig Pilot

Oddometer:
    So.. I havent put together any tracks for the ride yet. Is there anything particular anyone wants to do? As much single track as possible? Single track day and a double track exploring day? Street bike day?
    c-zulu likes this.
  4. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you can accommodate one more, I'm looking like I could be in. I’ll be hauling in from Michigan (extending a family trip), so I’ll be curious what type of hardware to bring.

I’m hoping to have a new TPI orangesickle, but won’t be in my possession on time. I’ll have to ride something odd again. Perhaps I’ll bring an ATK 2t as I think it is lonely for big rocks and elevation change. Or the old RFS if more 2 track and connecting road work is in the plan. I’m assuming plates are needed regardless of route plan as we’ll need gas and such.
    tannerc likes this.
  5. tannerc

tannerc Pig Pilot

Oddometer:
    Sure :beer
    Bring both.? :deal
    bark sampler likes this.
  6. tannerc

tannerc Pig Pilot

Oddometer:
    @bark sampler there are times when we jump out on the hwy for a bit to get gas or connect trails. We try to keep it to a minimum, people have gotten away with it most the time @toadl got caught last year a ticket was involved, pushing the bike was also involved. hahah!:rofl
    The ATK would probably be more at home on the single track.
    Hard to beat a RFS for a "do it all" machine.
    Hoping that TPI falls into your lap in time.

@Lutz <--- you throwing in the towel yet? :imaposer
    bark sampler likes this.
  7. bark sampler

Oddometer:
    You nailed it on the bikes. I’d like to have both there too but may not have the space. Single track is the fun stuff so I may favor that.

I’m considered trying one of the GPX China bikes, pick it up to build early next week. Then leave it out there with family for fly and rides. May be too much risk as it’s bad enough trusting someone on dated Austrian bikes to not f-up the ride due to unnecessary wrenching! I don’t want to be THAT guy!!
  8. tannerc

tannerc Pig Pilot

Oddometer:
    It usually seems like everyone is ready to Hit the single track friday, and ride as much as possible. Then saturday its like a 50/50 split single track, double track explore mines and such.
    I havent made any tracks or plans yet, but have ridden enough of it out in the hills its pretty easy to improvise.

china bikes? TSE250R?
  9. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    If I were to make it, my preference would be single and double, if based on nothing other than the 13/51 gearing my bikes is stuck with for now. ...I might be able to squeeze in a 14 front, but even with that, it’s no road touring bike.

I don’t even know where my towel is to throw.:lol3 Do you still have it from my throwing it in the last few years?

Not all my stars are aligned yet, but this time it may boil down to whether my bike and I can bum a ride west in a non-junk vehicle.
  10. bark sampler

Oddometer:
    Makes sense on routes. A full day or 2 of the good stuff takes its toll on the body and more easier connections make nice reprieves. For an easier loop I liked the one north of Sheridan Lake, but I think that’s going to be too far south from base.

I rode a TSE, respectable handling but lacked snap and begged for mods. Could eat up $ and hours I don’t want to invest. The FSE250E looks to be as light, same chassis, terminally slow, and a ride it like you stole it then park it bike. If common sense prevails I’ll squeeze something into the truck with proper metallurgy and known trail worthiness.
  11. tannerc

tannerc Pig Pilot

Oddometer:
    So.. This last weekend we got to experience a flood, our basement filled up with about 3 ft of water. It took out my PC that had all of my black hills tracks stored on it. It looks like we will be running off memory and maps. Make it an adventure.
    See everyone in a few days.
  12. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear (and see) about that flood and the damage it caused. I’m glad it’s not ruining this weekend for you.

That said...my (proverbial, because I still can’t find the damn thing) towel is officially thrown in...again. :(
  13. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in for Friday and Saturday! tracks? we don't need no stinkin tracks.......
  14. bark sampler

Oddometer:
    Well it looks like I’m with @Lutz now.

I got the FSE250E delivered today, built it all up, went over a ton of details to make it trail ready, everything looked good and tested fine. Impressed me on build quality over what I saw a year ago. Then went on a longer ride and the suspension started to feel rigid. Looks like the shock lost nitrogen and something is now FUBAR on the rebound.

No point in bringing it to trails with f’d up suspension. Live and learn.

Attached Files:

15. tannerc

tannerc Pig Pilot

Oddometer:

Out for the bike, out for the ride in general?
  16. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Out for the ride in general, unfortunately. The bike is ready to rock; getting it and myself there is the main problem.
    Edit: Ha ha ha I just realized that question wasn’t intended for me. But the message is the same, lest you should doubt the CRF 450 X.
  17. bark sampler

Oddometer:
    For the ride.

I didn’t bring a second bike. Thing isn’t rideable. I can pack the suspension just by sitting on it. It would become rigid in the rocks. I’m not to thrilled, Now I need to haul it home to work on it, exactly what I didn’t want to do.
  18. tannerc

tannerc Pig Pilot

Oddometer:
    Alright folks, hate to do this, but... Ride canceled
    All signs point to me listening to others advice and staying home to do flood clean up.

The good news, there is still another ride going on in the hills with plenty of folks to show people around.
    http://www.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=2660.0;topicseen
    The DDSR ride is this weekend in the Custer area.
    c-zulu and Lutz like this.
  19. tannerc

tannerc Pig Pilot

Oddometer:
    If anyone wants further contact information for the DDSR ride let me know and I can put you in touch with peoples.