Blew my rear in Yellowstone

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Spindr, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Spindr

Spindr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all!

New to the site, my brother is a long time user who recommended I post in here as I'm looking for local knowledge/help

Currently on a 48 state solo motocamping adventure and got into a pickle in Yellowstone today. Blew my rear tyre - totally shredded. Got towed to West Yellowstone (sidenote national park tow truck monopoly is no joke at $675 and they won't even tow you to a mechanic!!! They dump you in a car park )..i digress. I'm concerned about my prospects for getting a tyre in this small town and am on a time pinch, does anyone have recs on where to start?

I'm riding a 96 Suzuki Savage.

On another note I'm finding it v hard to find a mechanic able to help me with maintenance like valve adjustment etc while on the road. Everyone seems to work exclusively on Harleys or be booked until oct. Any advice?

Much appreciated fam

Attached Files:

2. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Finding shops with immediate service ability might be hard in this environment. A shop I work part time at is booked for at least two weeks, and though the city is off of I-20, it's no hot bed of cross-country motorcycle travelers doing business here. Getting service in popular tourist areas will be even worse, I'd think.

We have sold nearly every motorcycle, ATV, and UTV in stock and sold the stuff that was ordered and have deposits on others. This C19 thing has driven people to buy all manner of entertainment items at a rapid rate. I also work part time at a bicycle shop, and it's been the same there. Frankly I'd be leery of heading out on a trip where I couldn't support my own service requirements, and yes I realize that can be difficult.

Surely some shops may try to accommodate cross-country travelers on short notice, but this buying craze has probably limited that to some degree.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rocky Mountain ATV has really fast delivery of tires. I just got one in two days with standard delivery.
    I would search online for any nearby motorcycle shops.
    patrkbukly likes this.
  4. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    What size rear tire? I don't think I have anything that would fit but you never know. Also, the closest motorcycle shop that would probably have a tire is Rexburg Motorsports, about 75-80 miles to the west.

edit: @icebox may have an idea

edit #2 Rocky Mountain ATV usually takes 3 days to here with standard shipping IF IF IF is ships from the Utah warehouse
  5. Rocky Mountain Motos

Rocky Mountain Motos On a long leash

Oddometer:
    Post ads up on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace looking for a new/used tire. You never know what people have in their garages. Do you have tire changing tools?
  6. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. tigerman22

tigerman22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try calling Performance Motor Sports in Ashton, ID. Also post in the North American Biker Rescue group on Facebook.
  8. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 here. Todays Thursday you can pay for overnight and their prices are good so probably net out to regular price for the tire.

Sucks on the tow price, thats robbery.
  9. Spindr

Spindr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Thanks for the info! The standard re
    Thank you!! Appreciate the info. My current (standard) are 140/80-15 but I've seen online that I could fit a 140-90-15, or in a pinch a 130-90-15 or 150-90-15. Any chance you have those kicking around?

I have changed my dirt bike tires before but road tires are beyond my strength (140 pound lady here) so I was hoping to rely on my roadside assist (fail). My plan for this situ will be to track down a tyre and tube, pull the wheel off the bike, then rent a car or somehow get that to Rexburg MotorSports who can help get it on the wheel. It seems to be my best option. Appreciate all the comments here very much
  10. Blakebird

Blakebird ran when parked

Oddometer:
    norton(kel) likes this.
  11. jonz

Oddometer:
    If Rexburg Motorsports has a tire, I could pick you up, take you there to get the tire (I have to make a quick stop at a cabin in Island Park anyway), come back to my house (I live 7 miles west of WYS) where we could change the tire, and give you a ride back to town.
  12. Spindr

Spindr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh that is super kind of you, thank you. Rexburg has a 5 day wait but I have a set of tires waiting for me in Boise (where I thought I would make it to get the change....alas!). I can get that shop to post me the tires. I wonder if I could get them posted to my motel in West Yellowstone and then we could fit the rear at your house? I'd be very happy to pay you for your assistance.
  13. jonz

Oddometer:
    You could also mail them to me if that won't work. ADVrider's version of private messaging is called a conversation. I'll start one with you
    Donkey Hotey and ogklx400 like this.
  14. Spindr

Spindr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you to everyone suggesting places I can try get help. For the record I've visited all the ATV / snowmobile places in West Yellowstone but no one is able to help with on road motorcycles. Appreciate all the suggestions!
    Blakebird likes this.
  15. Malamute

Malamute Low speed adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best of luck in the tire ordeal, it sounds like you have a good start on getting it squared away.

Your trip sounds like an interesting one, you could post in the epic trips section on your progress, Im sure many would enjoy hearing about it.
  16. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way to be helpful in this situation @jonz!
  17. Spindr

Spindr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh cool I had no idea there was an epic trips section (new to the site)...I'll do that! Thanks!
    Malamute and handensco like this.
  18. Spindr

Spindr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jonz is an absolute legend!!!!! The kindness of an internet stranger is incredible. This community is truly awesome. Tire(s) arriving today!
  19. Malamute

Malamute Low speed adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool.

I followed you, not sure exactly how that works, but assume it will let me know if/when you start a thread. :)
  20. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    @Spindr Welcome to the asylum!
    Spindr likes this.