Blue Ridge Parkway - Just checkin' for info

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by GString, May 22, 2002.

1. GString

GString Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to talk to anybody who rode the Blue Ridge Pkwy. through VA. We're planning the ride from MI to NC ( Biltmore Estate )
    Any good camping spots on the way? :):
    Any info would be appreciated. Is this a twisty fast one or just scenic:confused :confused

Thanks
  2. Hankth

Hankth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GS,
    Skyline Drive starts at Front Royal VA, goes 102 miles to the start of the BRP. Skyline is all a national park area. $5.00 for two days, camp sites and other accomodations up there. Speed limit is 35 on Skyline Dr. and there is no straight road longer than a couple hundred yards, a hoot to ride. Lots of deer and some bear too. The BRP is a must ride. 45 mph, and no straight longer than about an eighth of a mile, lots of up and down and curves you can see all the way around, like the road was designed by a biker! All the roads up and down the mountains are great too. Do a search, plenty of web sites to look up accomodations. Some B&B's up there too. Good luck.
    Hank
  3. FormerInmate 081920

FormerInmate 081920 Guest

Oddometer:
    the Willville Bike camp is a great camping spot:thumb mile marker 177 info at http://www.willvillebikecamp.com Mile marker 0 is at Waynesboro, VA

there's a camp ground at Montebello, VA off route 56.

the BRP is more of a scenic run, but you can make it interesting :): the Shenandoah National Park from Front Royal to Waynesboro is 35 MPH and the Rangers enforce it. South of W-boro the speed limit is 45 and you can cruise at 50 to 55 with no problems.

do a search here and you can find all kinds of info on the BRP
  4. Hankth

Hankth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, there are a few passing zones on the BRP, but there are also plenty of great sweepers and a few tuns marked as low as 25 MPH... The strategy is to go 55-60 on the straits [The cops will give you 55; 60 is iffy; 65 is nailed every time], and speed up in the turns, where you're less likely to encounter a cop [Most park and shoot]... I love the friggin road!... Scenery?... What scenery?...

:darth Pep <>< [/QUOTE]

Yep, I just love it there, and I haven't even been to Deal's Gap! It is a goal of mine though. I gotta have that tee shirt.