Blue Ridge Parkway

Discussion in 'Americas' started by sibyrnes, May 5, 2020.

1. sibyrnes

sibyrnes Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    With its 45 MPH speed limit the Blue Ridge Parkway seems like the perfect trip for my TW. I'd like to start the trip June 6 but so far camping doesn't look very good. All the Campgrounds are either closed or booked up. Any suggestions for some primitive camping sites in N.C or Tennessee say 30 miles or so from the Parkway?
  2. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are actually 2 motorcycle campgrounds along the parkway.
    Willville MC campground in Meadows of Dan Va. and Blue Ridge MC campground in Cruso NC (north on hwy 276).
    Both are excellent places to stay.
    There are also 2 other MC campgrounds close to the end of the parkway at Cherokee, Kickstand and Iron Horse. Both are located in Stecoah NC and are also great places to stay.
    Sonny S. and Davidprej like this.
  3. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Long timer

Oddometer:
    As mentioned in previous post Willville in Meadows of Dan is a good place. If you start at the beginning of Skyline Dr, obey the speed limits and transition (cross the street!) to Blue Ridge Parkway it is a solid one day ride to Willville. If you're starting from W PA I'd include the Skyline Dr, speed limits actually lower than BRP and nice scenery. It's another, easier days ride to the end of the BRP near Cherokee NC.
    I live at the intersection of the BRP and Hwy 52 in Fancy Gap VA (another 45 minutes from Meadows of Dan). Private campgrounds and cheap ($40) overnight cabin rentals are available now, cabin rentals seemingly at every crossroads . At the intersection of Hwy 18 and the BRP near Laurel Springs NC are Freeborne's and Stations Inn, quite popular motorcycle stops with camping.
    There are just so many places to camp around here within 20 minutes of the Parkway its impossible to list all of them, try google maps and expand the view along your route to find some of them. All the VA State Parks have good camping.
    You'd have a blast on your TW, the backroads around here are most comfortable at 40 mph. If you get bored of the BRP just get off and wander to some of the small towns in SW VA and E TN; great winding roads, good scenery, no people.
  4. sibyrnes

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips. I will trailering my TW to Fancy Gap and starting my trip there. My mother in law has a home on the Parkway there. I will probably be camping somewhere south in N.C. or Ten depending on how far I make it the first day.
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    The unanswerable, covid 19 trick will be if you can camp where there are showers vs. stealth or no facilities camping.
    TW=MC?
  6. sibyrnes

Oddometer:
    TW = Yamaha TW200. Primitive camping is good for me, no stealth unless necessary.
  7. PrkChps

PrkChps Mirth Is King

Oddometer:
    Great place to pick up the BRP. I came through WV (2 up) in 2018 and headed south. Easy slab access if you need to use it. Fancy Gap has gas and food, but I haven't camped. The bride does not tolerate such nonsense. Best of luck on your trip. My friend in NC told me yesterday that the BRP is not open. Even if it isn't, the local roads are amazing.
  8. stravis

stravis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I read where the southern portion of the BRP isn’t currently open, as PrkChps mentioned, but they are expect it to open any day, so if his trip isn’t til June 6th, he should be in good shape. Kill boy updates road and facility closures pretty regularly on his facebook. Might be a good source of information leading up to your trip.
  9. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am also riding the BRP June 6th. I am planning on riding it all the way to Cherokee and picking up the TAT.

I am riding a R1200 Gs. I am 42 and plan on camping unless it's raining.
    John
  10. jstyles

jstyles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Covid.. I stopped by Smokemont Campground Sunday. Which is in the area you speak of 30ish miles from Clingsman's Dome. It was closed to camping.
  11. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the I info
  12. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, Misty Mountain Campground in Charlottesville, VA is 3 miles off the BRP and open.
  13. sibyrnes

Oddometer:
    Been a little change of plans. I am concerned about the camping situation so instead of the TW, I will be riding my Multistrada to Fancy Gap and use that as my base of operations for local touring. Leaving this morning!
  14. EngineerBill

EngineerBill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a little campground in Elk Park, NC not far from the parkway called Mountain View Moto Campground.
    Not real big, but very friendly Couple runs it. Check it out if you get a chance.
  15. sibyrnes

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a great trip down the Parkway. I'm the one without reverse on my bike!

NW Trading Post-0001751.JPG
    DittyBag and Ginger Beard like this.
  16. sibyrnes

Oddometer:
    A great highway built by The Greatest Generation!
    Yonahlossee Overlook-0001765.JPG
    DittyBag and Ginger Beard like this.
  17. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

Sounds like you had fun!

By the way, unless they used an aftermarket kit, none of those HDs has reverse. Hope that wasn't an uphill parking lot! :lol3
    DittyBag likes this.
  18. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  19. sibyrnes

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I didn't know that. It was enough of an uphill that I turned my bike around before parking!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  20. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Oof ! Did you camp at all?

Love that elevated road pic!