bluetooth communicator or headphones

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by redrider7202, Feb 6, 2020.

1. redrider7202

redrider7202 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stumbled across the thread about replacing the battery in the f5mc the other day and got all excited since mine hasn't charged for crap in a while. Order up a battery, and now I can't find the thing. Thought it was in my jacket but no matter how many times I check the pockets its just not there.

Anyway, onto the whole point of this, being a little fed up with the F3whatever I finished out last season with I started looking at replacements. Maybe something thin like the Sena 10r. Can't say I've ever really noticed the interphone on the side of the helmet but whatever, thin is cool right?

Looking around I stumbled across a thread here about bluetooth headphones. Tech is getting pretty good these days with those, they seem to last a while, or at least long enough that I'll need a break long enough to recharge them a bit before they die. Heck you can even get them with noise cancelling... though I'm not sure that would be the best idea really.

So, question is, has anyone made the switch one way or another? I've literally never used the communicator for between bikes, the KTM has handlebar controls for music anyway, and I don't have a microphone mounted in the current lid as it is, Bell Mwhatever adventure if it matters. That being said, having the thing on the helmet is convenient. I did the headphone thing before and it can get old. But when I'm doing highway I'll use ear plugs anyway so is it really any worse?
  2. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a random Chinese clone and I cannot find any issue with it (ok buttons are unusable with gloves but I don't care).
    If you want mesh, buy something with mesh. Otherwise absolutely go Chinese, 100%
  3. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't ever want to receive/make calls on the bike, read texts or anything else that connects me to the world. The point of riding to me is to disconnect... :photog

I've also never been able to understand the idea of spending big $$ for a light, quiet, aerodynamic helmet and then sticking some big appendage on the side.

But I do want directions "in my ear." So I use s-plug isolating earphones with an inexpensive BT receiver paired to my TomTom Rider sat nav. Works perfectly, little BT goes in the jacket pocket. Lasts b/w 4-5 hours; bought 2, just switch it out at lunch or when the first dies. S-plugs are very comfortable, block out all the wind noise, durable and so small there's no chance of helmet interference.

https://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_stereo_earbuds_s/67.htm

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUXYVOA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

YMMV...
  4. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Took my communicator off. Using bluetooth earbuds now. I thought I'd talk to my wife when she rode pillion. Don't need it...2 rides in 3 years. The BT buds have triple flange tips so they work as earplugs also. Much better than an in helmet comm unit turned up the whole way to hear through my earplugs too!
  5. Booghotfoot

Booghotfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you post a link to the one you got?
    Does it have choice activate to answer a call.?
    I've been looking at some knockoffs too but it looks like a crap shoot.
  6. Booghotfoot

Oddometer:
    Can you post a link too? I'm interested in that option. I've tried some but have trouble with them working their way out. I'd you have a set that works it might save me the trouble of trying some that might not stay in.
  7. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
  8. Booghotfoot

Oddometer: