BMW 1800 cruiser

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by dutchie, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    They look like Sahara Hwy pegs from CCmotorcycles...
  2. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm!

I have about 750 miles on my R18, and the dealer can't get to its 600 mile service until next Tuesday.

I would really like to be able to ride the bike more between now and then, and was thinking about just doing at least the engine oil and filter change myself today so I could keep going this weekend, then taking it in at the scheduled time for the 'other stuff.

In perusing my new bike's 'Rider's Manual' (Note: not 'Owner's Manual') for this machine to see what's involved with the R18's oil and filter change procedure, I couldn't help but notice that any such maintenance information is (to me) glaringly absent, though there is a page or so showing how to "top up" the engine oil if necessary.

If I decide to do the engine oil change myself, I guess it's going to be 'Youtube to the rescue', rather than expect any help from BMW.
  3. CdnGS

CdnGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it’s anything like it’s smaller boxer brothers (1200/1250), hopefully it’s a 20 minute job but you may need the “special” BMW filter wrench. Good luck.
  4. nielsm

nielsm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Biggest challenge is the special wrench and which oil filter is used. I don’t have an R18 yet, but each of my 3 BMWs (1972, 2012 & 2015) have different oil filters and different wrenches and of course oil specs.

I’d imagine given the larger capacity, the filter on the R18 may also be larger than other common filters, so thus have yet another wrench size. Your dealer’s parts dept might not have the wrench in stock, so getting it quickly might also be hard. I would suggest ordering at least the wrench, 1 filter and enough oil for a full change just to have in your garage even if you have the dealer do most service. This way if you have another dealer delay you could do it yourself. A GS-911 is also good to have to reset service reminders, especially for simple ones like just oil changes.
    Backlund likes this.
  5. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://www.r18forums.com/threads/oil-filter-service.127/

The oil fill port is under the RH "valve cover" sounds super convenient. :baldy Almost as convenient as the old V-Stars having to remove the exhaust to change the oil. :baldy:baldy
    Backlund likes this.
  6. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    Changing the oil is pretty straightforward. You will need the proper filter wrench. I adjusted my valves and it’s a piece of cake.

IMG_5859.jpg
    The R18 is in the trailer. We have a cabin in the Adirondacks for a few nights.

David
    Oilhed likes this.
  7. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    If you're familiar with '05-'13 R12GS/RT/R/ST previous Hex/Camhead air/oil-head R boxers, you'll feel right at home w R18. Almost identical set-up for recessed oil-filter and rest of the fluids...

From parts fiche [MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Parts & Technical Diagrams - R18 (K34)]

upload_2021-7-15_18-52-30.png

P#...541 filter (same as previous R boxers) listed above is made and sold by Mahle w/o BMW logo and readily available on Amazon: Amazon.com: MAHLE (OC 306) Original Oil Filter: Automotive

That filter does require special oil-filter wrench that isn't that readily available everywhere but can be found: MAX BMW Motorcycles - OIL FILTER WRENCH - MAX BMW

The rest of maintenance is easy with minimal mechanical aptitude...

:thumb
    Backlund and rc51owner like this.
  8. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    Staying in Tupper Lake.

Heading for Tracy Road, then Ensign pond road. Never been on Tracy road.

Sprinkles here and there.

Great day to ride.

David
    Oilhed and rick danger like this.
  9. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    What the hell, might as well post a photo from yesterday morning's ride to Deadwood...
    IMG_20210715_093424866_HDR.jpg
  10. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Must have been a hell of a good day
    Backlund likes this.
  11. Rakthi

Rakthi meanwhile,

Oddometer:
  12. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
    Backlund likes this.
  13. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:

Nice efforts, but I wouldn't take any of those custom bikes over my humble 'stocker' R18.
    KingOfFleece and Deans BMW like this.
  14. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll ride the fifty mile backroads from our place up to Deadwood at least four or five times each week, leaving the house at 6:00 AM, and arriving in Deadwood at 7:00 AM, just when the coffee shop opens. I'll return on the same road and be back home around 9:00 AM. It's almost a summer ritual for me.

My destination is the patio deck tables at The Pump House coffee shop in Deadwood.
    IMG_20210619_082241931_HDR.jpg

The R18 might be a little short on lean angles, but I think it's a lot of fun to hustle down those roads, and 'cruiser' or not, it's a hoot to 'push it' a bit out there.
    Doug Fremder, Bors, msahern5 and 7 others like this.
  15. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    'Trixie' riding my new R18 home from the Sturgis dealership last week. We rode the GL up there to get the BMW, so, being too small to manage the Goldwing, I put her on the R18...
    IMG_20210710_135003988.jpg

IMG_20210710_134953002_HDR.jpg
    Bors, HuntWhenever, motu and 2 others like this.
  16. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Fixed it for you. Should have never let her ride it. :nah

:lol3
    rc51owner and David R like this.
  17. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think she's 'ok' with the R18, but she's more comfortable on her Speedmaster, which is a much better match for her, weight-wise, etc. Just getting that R18 off it's side stand is an 'iffy' maneuver for her small frame.
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  18. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hit 1000 miles on the R18 this morning, picked the bike up yesterday morning after it's 870 mile, '600 mile', service. All seems well.
    mtwillyman and Suncoaster like this.
  19. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:

Full Dresser coming July 29th?
  20. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    D#mn it BMW... Stop making me want a new bike!!!
    HuntWhenever and AdamChandler like this.