BMW 1800 cruiser

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by dutchie, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Indeed... Reminds me of that purple-blue-ish-hazed Ti Akrapovic headers on other R bikes, after few heat cycles (LC headers pictured below) - awesome color choice and kudos to BMW for going bold in color options for R18... :thumb

[​IMG]
  2. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    SilentRay and AdamChandler like this.
  3. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even a downsized version of the new R18. Not just some sleeved down version.
    Kevm likes this.
  4. ARiderX

ARiderX Long timer

Oddometer:
    2000?? I'd guess 500, and that would be pushing it. They can't move these. All the signs are obvious. Heavily discounted new ones (17k? Versus 22k early on?). Super low mileage (200-500 miles) at 13-14k? A triumph tiger 800 would cost you more, as would any other bike such as a husky (as was mentioned), or some KTM dirt bike or something.

And some posts above there's a mention of 500+ bikes sitting in inventory, not moving? In the middle of summer?

The good thing here is that whoever bought one, did so because the bike really speaks to them in a very direct and personal way. Probably long term keepers for riders looking for a unique ride. They won't be looking at selling on, as it's probably a very motivated and deliberate purchase of a niche bike. But if they would, they'd be looking at 10k+ depreciation in a year, easy. If not more.

That said, if I were a betting man, they'll keep this bike around for max. 3 years and call it a day.

Me, not even really into cruisers at the moment, not looking at one, and not a fan of HD in any special way (HD's are 'ok' I guess), I'd have a HD every day of the week over this bmw.
    lazos 990 and AdamChandler like this.
  5. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    That 500 number has been consistent for a while. We have roughly 150 dealers in USA which means every dealer only has about 3.5 on their floors for sale. Not a LOT of inventory but by comparison, only 800 GS bikes are on show floors at the moment.

It does say a lot that HD is selling ADV bikes and here’s BMW with their cruiser :) I’d like an R18 one day though. I think they’re gorgeous bikes.
  6. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango 1*

Oddometer:
    I'm quite the opposite; although I tour, sport tour and ADV ride - with bikes designed for those modalities, I'm a Harley guy. That being said, even as a Harley guy, I like this bike and but for the fact that it's a BMW, I would be interested in one.

I had a couple BMWs, both GS models of separate eras, nt a fan of the company and their dealers make the Harley Stealerships look like the Red Cross!

I like the bike and do think it's cool; just won't own another BMW.

As cruisers go - it seems like a good one though.
    R3T likes this.
  7. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sat on one at a dealer. Spooky just to hoist off the side stand. Way too heavy. They need to take 100lbs out of it. Maybe thats what a Harley bagger feels like to hoist off the stand...but ill never own one. Cool looking bike, and I like the flat twin engine (I own a couple). However, if its too spooky to handle now in my early 40s....it sure isn't happening later in life.
  8. gusable

gusable Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw one in person at bmw store today. It’s totally badass!! Pictures DO NOT do it justice. Very low seat. It’s just too much price for me. If it were 14k I’d be scheming...
    Prmurat and AdamChandler like this.
  9. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    I don’t think they’ve sold many here in Australia either.

sat on one, didn’t fit but I’m just slightly less large than a mountain.

the open drive train troubled me. As a farmer I couldn’t run an open shaft or universal without facing the wrath of our occupational health and safety people - indeed it easily/rapidly becomes a criminal matter.

Troubled me enough I immediately walked and kept walking.
  10. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    My gold wing is much worse to get off the side stand.

It drives like it’s much lighter.
    David
  11. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    This bothers you more than the the minimally covered chain drives on swaths of other motorcycles? This also isn't the first production motorcycle with an exposed drive shaft. Every motorcyclist who's ridden more than a few days knows to not have loose items dangling off their person while riding. If the shaft or chain doesn't grab it, the big spinning wheel right under you will.
    KingOfFleece, Fred Gassit and gusable like this.
  12. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    I might buy an R18.

I was at the dealership yesterday looking at their 190 mile demo R18, and BMW just came out with a new incentive program for this almost unsellable $22,000 model, that along with an additional $1000 discount for the demo, I believe had the price at a bit over 16G's and offered at a very low interest factory financing that had the payment at about $175 per month for 48 months, then a buyout balloon (refinanced at my credit union, if kept beyond that time) for around 9G's.
  13. David R

Oddometer:
    Which model?

I have the classic.

David
  14. Stasher1

Stasher1 Long timer

Oddometer:

The low payments sound like a good idea until you realize that you'll be making payments on that bike for 8 or 9 years.

Financing a toy is bad enough. No way in hell I'd do it for the better part of a decade.
  15. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm not a financial advisor.

but balloon payments are generally a bad idea. New Hampshire doesn't allow BMW's 3-Easy-Pay financing because a lot of people see "$99 a month for 48 months" on a GS not realizing that they're going to owe $15,000 in 4 years or lose the bike.

If you have the cash in hand, go for it. It's much better to wait for BMW to do a 0% interest for 48 months deal or do 2.5% through your local credit union.
  16. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are aware and reasonably savvy, no big deal. You know going in what the balloon is. Plan accordingly.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. David R

Oddometer:
    Got zero percent from BMW for 60 months. I put a good down payment on it too.

David
  18. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Not necessarily so - it depends on the bike model, its desirability, market value ie. condition of the bike after 3-4 years when balloon payment is due etc, etc...

Depending on the bike model, the balloon payment at the end may be lower than bike market value at that time (equivalent of lease for a clunker and its buy-back value) thus it makes sense to trade-in, collect "equity" as down payment on a new model/different bike or even pay the balloon and flip the bike, pocketing the difference...

It doesn't work for every bike model and it's hard to predict R18's value few years down the road but for those w guts, it may pay out... I'm not financial advisor either so ymmv... :thumb
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    The balloon after 48 months is about $9400.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. Stasher1

Stasher1 Long timer

Oddometer:

Assuming $0 finance charge, you're looking at $200+ month for 48 months, or about $170 a month for 60 months...if you can qualify for 2.49%.

In order to keep the payments around $175, you'd be financing that bike for 9 years.

I just bought a little commuter car for work, and financed roughly $9600 for 48 months @ 2.48% Monthly note is $216