BMW 450 enduro (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Max Kool, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Squire

Squire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my cousin's stator case, he managed to have the fix cost-shared: BMW covered for the part (new stator . BTW I have one spare new) but he had to pay for flushing and cleaning the engine. Not cheap but not that bad for an engine that had 175 hours or so. This bike is great, advanced prototype development level IMHO, but has design issues to deal with and watch for.
  2. Squire

Squire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like new BlackBird Seat for sale in Quebec, 200 miles, perfect conditions.
    Edit: Posted in Flea Market - don't miss this opportunity.
  3. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anybody advise the thread size on the fan temperature switch?
    Perhaps it's the same as the temp sensor? is that m10 thread at 1mm pitch?
    My GP450 has the same radiator as the G450x but the fan is ECU controlled, and the switch is not used. I'd like to replace the switch with another temp sensor for a dash display, but I'd rather only drain the coolant once if I can help it...

Many thanks!
  4. Denny Mann

Denny Mann Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a 2009 for 5 years and I had my suspension rewotked byWER with great results. I also have a low seat if you are interested.
  5. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider The Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I passed on the bike.
    The kid was a wannabe go-fast squid and had done all sorts of "performance" tweaks to it, had stripped off a bunch of the stock parts, hacked the wiring harness, etc.

At my 'advanced' age I just want to get on and ride, not deal with a project bike that might leave me stranded miles from anywhere.
    So I am probably going to turn my attention towards finding a non-hacked non-orphaned bike, or just live with the power limitations of my XT225 when on the road. It still does everything I want it to in the dirt.
  6. C Squared

C Squared Now with TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 10 and it came with that seat in a box. But, I don't have the plate that the Dzuz fastener goes into. Can you (or anyone) take a few pics with a rule next to it so I can fab one. Or, where can I get one?

I also need some Safari tank mounting stuff.
  7. Squire

Squire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be happy to do that when in Canada in 10 days.
    In the meantime I'd recommend writing to BlackBird.
    Enjoy your new ride!
  8. Squire

Squire Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. SchillerM

SchillerM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20170806_171133.jpg 20170806_171257.jpg 20170806_171215_001.jpg

Some quick shots for you. Let me know what measurements you need and I can try to draw it out... MM or Inch?
    Squire likes this.
  10. C Squared

C Squared Now with TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll see if I can replicate that. Put about 250 miles of off road on the bike. It is great. I just have to learn how to not be on a 300 2 stroke KTM as that is all I have ridden for 10 years. And, no Recluse option . Now looking for SM options.
  11. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello, I'm looking at a used, obviously, 2009 G450X with around 5000 miles and a non working instrument display. I will be able to ride the bike and was wondering if there is a list of things I should look at particular to this model? This bike will be for trail riding with the only road being getting from trail to trail. I currently ride a F650 Dakar and am looking for powerfull and nimble. I've thrashed around on an XLR, KLR, and now the GS. This bike will not see the track or get it's limits tested. Any advice would be greatly appreiciated.
  12. AndyE_UK

AndyE_UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2009 is on about 5000 miles of similar use and hasn't given me any problems. The display could just be a failed battery, it's run from a lithium button cell.

Other than the usual wear and tear (e.g. wheel bearings, brake pads and discs, fluid changes) I'd ask if it's had the stator recall done, had the torque limiter changed (these wear out), got the service dvd and had the swingarm pivot greased regularly. Chain slack on these is only supposed to be 5mm so a look at that will also give you a clue about how the bike has been maintained. The side stand is prone to breaking if it has any more weight on it than the bike, so check it for cracks and damage.

Lots of people criticise the G450X, and sometimes justifiably, but mine's been a fine and reliable trail bike.
    itsgunnahurt and djroszina like this.
  13. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I'm still looking at a 2009 G450X and was told the stock seat has no seat pan??? Are there any options to getting a slightly wider, more comfy seat? Thanks. Dave.
  14. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    That's correct, there is no seat pan.
    You may be lucky and get hold of a blackbird seat, which has a seat pan, and also quick release.
  15. djroszina

Oddometer:
    What is the number for the "watch" battery that powers the dash display? Thanks, Dave.
  16. mkjdds

mkjdds Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. djroszina

Oddometer:
    Thanks, greatly appreciated.
  18. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I checked for recalls and service bullitens on the used G450x I'm looking to buy. The two are a signal bracket and the other is called a freewheel ring which the service writer had no clue. The 800s have something called this with their alternators... could this be associated with what I've heard referred to as the stator recall? If it is, neither of these recalls were performed on this bike, but since they are recalls when I bring it in it will be on Bmw's dime according to the service writer.
  19. djroszina

Oddometer:
    IMG_0499.JPG Took delivery today and hot rodded some ATV trails. Hard and rocky with occasional sand and puddles of every size. The bike ran flawlessly. I'm still adjusting the suspension for my tastes...and the seat sucks, but I know I can fix it. The bike is so flickable and power is right there on demand. The bike has a Safari tank and a rear Safari tank, Tourtech skidplate, case saver, and the top and bottom chain is fully enclosed with only the rear of the sprocket visable. This bike is a blast and loves to go fast. The only thing slowing me down was the ATV traffic on the 2 way trails, lots of blind corners. I will atttack on weekdays when they should be gone. I can't wait till next year to get this bike out west.
    itsgunnahurt likes this.
  20. sanqhar

sanqhar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I have a CCM GP 450 with the same (but detuned) engine.
    Any chance of a better picture of the chain enclosures. Do you have any idea who made them?

Thanks
    Tom