BMW 450 enduro (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Max Kool, Mar 4, 2007.

1. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Riding west? Well if you make it out to Western Washington give me a shout. I've got a garage & tools for any repairs/oil change you need.
    ...Plus you can always just leave the bike with me! :rofl
  2. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may take you up on that. My other dualsport is a F650gs Dakar that has reworked forks with monorate springs and Race Tech Gold Valves and a Hyper Pro on the rear. She is still on the heavy side, and that’s why I snagged the 450. The 650 is now being setup for Alaska next year. 65B37EA6-1C10-4F9A-9E85-567BC79C080D.jpeg C0CA943B-BD76-4BAA-9C8C-29CA8DD0414A.jpeg
    cgguy09 likes this.
  3. Denny Mann

Denny Mann Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had WER rework my shock and I ran the fork compression all the way out for east coast woods riding. The suspension worked good in the rocky single track but the motor and ignition mapping were a hand full at low speed. After a year of trying to make the 450x something it wasn't made for I rode it on thousands of miles of dirt and jeep roads. I had the bike for 5 years and put 16500 miles on it. I only weigh 155 lbs and I did not change any springs. With all of the fuel your bike will hold you should not need stiffer springs in my opinion. You might want a 2010 ignition to smooth out the bottom end.
  4. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    So to re-ask my question...how much do these bad-boys go for? Lets assume it's stock, not a garage queen, with reasonable hours on it. (I don't have a bike in mind, just throwing out the hypothetical).
  5. djroszina

Oddometer:
    3500 to 4000
    cgguy09 likes this.
  6. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I looked on bike bandit and all the bikes share the same ecm 2007 thru 2010... what am I missing and should look for?
  7. Denny Mann

Denny Mann Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 09 was not programmable but 10 is. Even with the 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket the bike would flame out in the tight rocky trails. It would jerk and lunge so much it would tire me out on a long trail ride. I replaced it with a more mellow DRZ which is not as thrilling to ride but more controllable. So for the wide open 2 track the 450X was a blast and I rode it that way for years saving the technical riding for my Beta 2 smoke.
  8. Denny Mann

Denny Mann Long timer

Oddometer:
    $225.jpg If anyone is looking for a front wheel, sub frame and/or fuel injection system. I am cleaning out the garage. Just PM me if interested.
  9. ErwinE

ErwinE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi - this is my 2010 G450X I purchased recently, and which is technically brand new: no kilometers and only a few running minutes. Not sure what to do with it: ride or not. Will decide early spring.

Attached Files:

cgguy09 and djroszina like this.
  10. djroszina

Oddometer:
    Nice score. If money were no object I would run out and buy a Beta 390 RR and keep the G450X pristine with zero miles. If not, then ride it, they are way too much fun to not experience.
    ErwinE likes this.
  11. ErwinE

ErwinE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The BMW is the third in the garage, so I am not going buy another one, even if it were a nice Beta. Generally, I think motorcycles are for riding, so that is probably what I will be doing with the BMW as well. I bought it because I feel very attracted to it.
    djroszina likes this.
  12. ErwinE

ErwinE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the future, historians will call the era we're living in the "aluminium age". Mounted the bash plate and hand protectors today.

Attached Files:

djroszina likes this.
  13. djroszina

Oddometer:
    My bike lacks the barkbuster style hand protectors. How were the Acerbis to install, any mods required?
  14. ErwinE

ErwinE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The cables on the handlebar might need minor re-routing, but nothing serious. On the left hand side, the handlebar grip needs to be cut. On the right hand side the same, and end of the plastic tube (throttle) needs to be sawn off.
    djroszina likes this.
  15. decafe

decafe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My new to rear bag hard to find this stuff on eBay IMG_4065.JPG
    itsgunnahurt and ErwinE like this.
  16. decafe

decafe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a gel seat pad over stock cheap and greatly improves those longer rides

Attached Files:

17. djroszina

Oddometer:
    Who makes that gel pad?
  18. decafe

decafe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i got it at Cycle Gear on rt70 in cherry hill nj but pretty common look for one that fits your butt i think $39.00
    djroszina likes this.
  19. Louv

Louv nerd with knobbies

Oddometer:
    Riding fire roads, and some single-track near Stonyford, CA.

31232236_10155350214206835_4494535116072157184_o.jpg 31154355_10155350214901835_7057372054697279488_o.jpg
  20. CRUX

CRUX Unicorn Tamer

Oddometer:
    Okay guys. I need some help! I’ve got an intermittent surging (hiccuping?) happening at low speeds, just barely cracked throttle. It’s like someone is repeatedly twisting the throttle very quickly, creating a jerking motion. If I roll on more throttle, go through the gearbox or use that same throttle position at high speeds, no issue. It basically makes slow in town riding terrible and is obviously an issue that needs correcting. It’s an 09 with only a couple thousand miles. Bike is flawless and very well maintained. Perfect really. To thicken the plot, it will go months sometimes without this issue. Sometimes on trips it will develop after a restart, occasionally I can shut the bike down, let it shut down then restart and issue is gone. This is extremely inconsistent though and in no way have I seen a pattern here.

Here’s my thoughts. Could this be a TPS that is wearing out in this certain position? Butterfly, fuel pump, efi? My best guess is that it is stemming from an exhaust leak at the mid pipe connection that I can’t seem to shake for some reason, and that is effecting the O2 sensor there? I’m already ordering a replacement mid pipe exhaust gasket, but not confident that will fix this leak.

Any ideas?