BMW 450 enduro (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Max Kool, Mar 4, 2007.

1. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    I am considering keeping it. I was going to sell and get something shorter for my son to do Adventure rides with me, but he is so busy with other adventures, I dont hink he will ever have the time to do a 10 day run. I just as well should keep it for myself. I enjoy the heck out of it compared to the 250's I had.

Until I buy the new husky! those are so nice!
  2. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which Husky?
  3. HighTechCoonass

Oddometer:
    FE350 or 450

[​IMG]
  4. Campbell 63

Campbell 63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The above map switching sceanrio is not possible, I take it that the bike is in low power mode given the mentioning of the O2 sensor. In low power mode the efi system is closed loop, max revs are limited and the efi system is using the O2 sensor and running on a pre determined AFR which is quite lean. In high power mode the efi system is open loop with the O2 sensor disabled and running of a fuel map loaded in the ecu and a higher max rpm.

Switching between hi and low power mode can not be done on the fly with the Kehin efi system fitted to the G45X, it requires the ignition to be cycled.

Try putting the bike into high power mode to eliminate faulty O2 sensor/exhaust leak. You can't leave it like this with the std cat exhaust but it won't hurt for testing proposes.

The std TPS voltage is 0.7v, in high power mode the bike will run much better with this increased to 0.8v. While checking the TPS voltage you may pick up a fluctuation indicating a faulty sensor. Voltage should increase smoothly from idle voltage of 0.7v through to 4.7v at 100% throttle. I would perform this test both with just the ignition on and with the bike running.

The link to the Cafe Husky thread is very worthwhile but bear in mind that this is all based around high power mode, it does include a link to the test harness mentioned above.

My set up is vastly different to yours with the bike in hi power mode and a PCV and the secondary butterfly removed. However I don't see a problem with removing the secondary butterfly in low power mode and it is reversible.

Campbell
  5. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are correct when you say it is not possible to switch between the high and low power modes without stopping and starting the engine, but that is not want I was talking about.
    I was referring to the switch between Throttle Position (TPS) Fuel mapping and Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP). The ECU controls that and it does switch between them while running.
  6. Rossland Rider

Rossland Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. E-Jay

E-Jay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ready for Maroc:

[​IMG]
    CRUX, brokerob1, Stagehand and 2 others like this.
  8. HighTechCoonass

Oddometer:
    going to get Husky FE501. I found decent deal on one... so my beloved 450 is back in the "for sale" booth to keep the wife happy.

every time I look at the pics I say, what the hell am I doing because I am a die-hard BMW fan! I have had 7 of them (still have 2) and they have all been 100% reliable!

F650GS , F650GS Dakar, 1966 R50 , R1150GS, R1150 Rockster, F800gs, and this G450x.

[​IMG]
  9. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, new G450X owner here. Seems this is the mega thread... doesn’t seem too active. I’ll try to browse through it and see what I can learn.

Did a shakedown ride today. Fun stuff. Just took out the power up widget so I can do a low-power comparison tomorrow.

Came off a 520EXC, so I’m appreciating this powerful, lightweight bike with a lot more modern tech.

I realize that it’s a rare bike with not much parts/aftermarket support remaining, but it inspired me when I saw the ad. Nothing like it around here. Was pretty firmly in the Japanese 450 search at the time.

4E92957F-D67F-4FDC-BE99-19315200BD79.jpeg B6561E80-5FD9-4BBB-8D23-EDDC4C4CCBCD.jpeg
  10. CRUX

CRUX Unicorn Tamer

Oddometer:
    Dirty, congrats on the purchase, I've got mine for sale currently but am also "inspired" by how wonderful this system is. I've had nothing but wonderful reliability over my 3,000 miles with the bike, and luckily there have been many questions answered, once you get digging in this thread. Enjoy the ride. A68CA1AD-2073-4912-98A7-A6B6930EA149.JPG IMG_5983.JPG Nice tank by the way!
    Stagehand and DirtyDog like this.
  11. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Shakedown ride #2 (aka adventures in low power mode) was a success. Ripped dirt roads over to my buddy/coworker’s place to snag a shock adjustment tool.

Low power mode has plenty of power for 95% of the circumstances, I think. Gonna wire up the switch and make a more informed decision when I can compare in a near-instant fashion on the same terrain.

Rode damp dirt roads with a bit of mud, secondary slab, and major highway tonight. No complaints. Bike is really stable in all conditions. Not buzzy. Brakes are quality. Shifts really smoothly and a pretty comfortable ride.

I likened it to an improved version of the 520EXC. Lots of snappy power, quick off the line, flickable and smooth, but lacking the roll-on power of a bigger DS bike (as expected). Overall fun and comfortable.

Melted the hell out of my blinker, but I’d already ordered some smaller ones.
    djroszina, Stagehand and CRUX like this.
  12. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    01B89EE0-13B6-4F78-B7C0-632793C90E02.jpeg 110FEFA6-2EBE-4411-A3CD-CE3016B80764.jpeg 679AE596-5A24-4BA9-B7BA-115D1D13D209.jpeg Just imported, and got mine legal in Switzerland. Still acting strong, engine wise. With about 5500 k’s on the motor in around 150-200 hours

The current issue is going to be the axle adjuster bolt in the swingarm. It’s froze up again, despite the anti-seize.

That and I don’t have a front wheel chock, Or a proper center jack
    DirtyDog likes this.
  13. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Wired up my power up switch on the dash. I think it came out well.

Wish I had some less conspicuous wire on hand, but it’ll do.
    16CCBC69-8CAF-413E-8A22-E35ECE19DF84.jpeg
    8C5AACFA-8E95-4C62-A000-4411F64AD77E.jpeg
    A50EC3F1-3D0C-4F1F-B8EE-6C240DE9C761.jpeg
    1FBA1CFC-3FC1-4BFC-A1A3-92274F6BA512.jpeg
    Haven’t tested it yet.
    CRUX, NoVa Rider and djroszina like this.
  14. CRUX

CRUX Unicorn Tamer

Oddometer:
    Finally putting that blank dash plug to use. Very nice.
  15. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Yeah, if you want details on the switch or install, let me know.
  16. CRUX

CRUX Unicorn Tamer

Oddometer:
    Thanks dirty. But since purchasing the bike I've always left it in low power mode, choosing the reliability and improved fuel consumption>race ready route. Still stands up on command so what more could I ask for? Enjoy the new ride!
    DirtyDog likes this.
  17. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Agreed!
  18. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Well, my rear brake overheated and now is completely inoperable. Tried to do a bleed/flush, but it looks like a complete rebuild may be needed.

Anyone have insights on a rebuild kit? My typical bike parts sources have struck out so far.
  19. Denny Mann

Denny Mann Long timer

Oddometer:
    All Balls kit same as a 2010 KTM.
    Stagehand likes this.
  20. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I actually emailed AllBalls and they said they had nothing.

I’ll check it out. Same brake setup on all 2010 KTM bikes? Thanks a bunch.