BMW 450 enduro (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Max Kool, Mar 4, 2007.

1. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Success
    Part works. Came on at engine temp 79* so earlier than I thought. Runs after the bike is turned off.

part I posted fits without modification.
    DirtyDog likes this.
  2. Sportsbud

Sportsbud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kept getting pissed off at it stalling at lights when putting it into gear... It would even become hard to start in gear with the clutch pulled in... Well pulled the idle switch checked and cleaned it and it was a little crusty... Now bike runs fine lol...
    DirtyDog and cgguy09 like this.
  3. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    What does that switch do exactly?
    It doesn’t stop the bike from starting (without the clutch)
    There is no neutral indicator.

seems like a needless item…
  4. Sportsbud

Oddometer:
    You need it... It tells the computer if you are in N or in gear... Since the clutch always drags it changes fueling down low to add more fuel when in gear mitigating stalling... The bike is running much better overall as well... There is a possibility it effects the entire map as well... I kept dieing at lights when clicking into gear and starting in gear with clutch pulled in was iffy... Now much better.. (Which is good as I do not want to be stalling out in the Lower 9th ward here in NOLA)
    cgguy09 likes this.
  5. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the info!
    I thought about it running a light from the sensor… not sure if they would impact anything or if anyone has done that.
  6. Sportsbud

Oddometer:
    You don't need that look what was done for mine. (Also don't listen to the MPs mall security are more high speed)..
    KIMG2278.JPG
    cgguy09 likes this.
  7. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    hahaha!
    I just ordered those for the back. the bracket I need is for the front.

No real good mounting points for them without that bracket.
  8. Sportsbud

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested I am going back to me OEM exhaust (its not blowing my eardrums out) and am not going to put this back on... Full up-tite racing pipe and header... Obviously needs some TLC but its still solid... and loud... I was thinking $350 shipped... I am just going to get a nice slip on... its located in New Orleans... Sorry international shipping would be a PITA... I know someone who wants to be heard 2 counties over at WOT.....
    KIMG2298.jpg
  9. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a torque limiter laying around?
  10. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope. Yours bad? Or looking for a spare?
    Max BMW has them. $275
  11. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Howdy!
    Mine may be going....I "tested" it by going up a steep hill at low speed in 5th gear & something was slipping and it wasn't the rear tire.

That one is out in the Holy Roman Empire somewhere, Ideally I'd like to get it sooner than September. So, I figured if an inmate had one I could snag it.
  12. Sportsbud

Oddometer:
    Yes but it actually in stock? Max BMW does not use a live inventory system... Been burned on a couple things for my Xchallenge by that...
    cgguy09 likes this.
  13. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    I called up a couple places...none are state side, some are in Germany. That's what they all said. So, I'm sure they all use the same system...but. Again, I'd much rather snatch this from an inmate vice Max in Connecticut ;)
  14. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    I haven’t had any supply issues, but I haven’t ordered many parts from them. Lucky me, I guess.

Are you in the Facebook g450x owners group? And on the G450x forum? The former seems more active regarding parts availability. Good luck.

Also, if I’m in 5th gear climbing a steep hill (off-road?!) and something is slipping… I probably have bigger problems. :lol3
    cgguy09 likes this.
  15. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    In the process of changing out chain & sprockets. Found my left swingarm bearing and seal were shot. Luckily the right one was in great shape with clean grease. I think the damage was likely initiated when I submarined the bike a while back.

Last time I replaced them, I went with 2-piece unsealed bearings from FAG instead of the custom sealed ones made for BMW ($50 and $75). Did the same this time, but feeling a tinge of regret. I've really gotta make greasing them part of my maintenance routine.
  16. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Hey team,
    I’m just about the pull the motor and swap out the torque limiter. I’m looking for a “how to” guide. I have reprom, but it’s not the most detailed.

I have a 300 lbs motorcycle floor lift/back.

This is what I know:
    1. Remove oil &coolant
    2. Jack up the bike
    3. Remove all wires and lines connected to the engine. Remove the lower air box. Loosen the throttle body.
    4. Remove the rear brake system
    5. Remove the wheel and the chain.
    6. Remove the swing arm
    7. Remove engine bolts.
    That’s where my knowledge ends!

On a typical bike the swing arm, frame, subframe would be in tact…. But on our modern machine, the engine is an intractable part of keeping the rigid from. It would appear the engine thing would collapse without the engine.

how do I stop the frame and forks from falling on the ground?!

thanks guys!

-cFogs
  17. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    perhaps lift the bike onto a pair of jackstands using the footpeg brackets? When I've done this (with other bikes) I'll put a strap between the jackstands so they get a bit more stability. Maybe see if you can fasten the jackstands to the pegs. I've also read before where someone removed and flipped the pegs upside down so they could be used as a lifting surface. Not positive if the brackets on the G450X would accommodate this, but something to consider for a wider, more stable platform.

If it were me, I'd do a lot of the ancillary part removals first, just to lessen the likelihood of having to put much muscle on the motor when it's not attached to a rolling chassis.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck
    cgguy09 likes this.
  18. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Finally got out today!!
    I figured the bike would feel undersprung for my 200lbs butt, but it felt good. I’m thinking maybe previous owner upgraded the springs on the shock and fork… I’ll need to look at the numbers on springs!
    Update-I’ve got the stock spring. I think the preload has just been appropriately adjuated
    ( anyone have reference numbers?)
    8861EDAA-9731-4FF8-998A-00C6926659BF.jpeg 55885C85-7D47-45A3-A41E-EFFC91E92254.jpeg 001D7DCF-EA12-4346-8268-083A263E071F.jpeg
    DirtyDog likes this.
  19. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Got my torque limiter today… allegedly the last BMW had in stock world wide.

It appears to be the older A model. With only 223.9 NM limit.
    A78B8BEA-F670-434B-8011-4F0F2A85BCF6.jpeg

I was looking at the numbers and trying to decipher What the numbers told me. But couldn’t make sense if it. Any thoughts?

977154AA-6E10-478B-9E3E-70C152CAC6DB.jpeg 0DA63087-F2D6-4C32-882E-9899A891F207.jpeg
  20. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd guess the number stamped on it means that's the 5th one made on 7th of August 2018.
    cgguy09 likes this.