BMW acknowledges spoke problem, announces international service campaign

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by dirty_t, Dec 20, 2018.

1. dirty_t

dirty_t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rg sw wa. and AdamChandler like this.
  2. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    See, BMW eventually gets around to doing the right thing.

Well, except maybe for those pesky profile gasket issues in the e30 automobiles with m42 engines, but I digress.
  3. JPCollinsworth

JPCollinsworth Compulsive Spender

Oddometer:
    My GSA was built in July 2018. I had 3 loose smokes on the front wheel that I had adjusted when I took it in for its 600 mile service. So far, so good.
  4. shedman2

shedman2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Having read about the spoke issue here, I checked my 05/2018 build R1200GS. No spokes felt loose but there was a wide variation in tone when tapped. Many sounded very dull. Runout both ways was well within spec. So when I took it in to the supplying dealer for its 10,000 K service yesterday, I asked them to check the wheels. To my surprise ( I have low expectations of any vehicle dealer) they reported 10 loose spokes in the front wheel and 15 in the rear. They are going to replace both wheels.

The article linked above suggests these wheels can go from "checks OK" to failure in a short time. I hope the new wheels don't take too long. I want to enjoy the ride; not worry about wheels failing.
    dirty_t likes this.
  5. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW sheezaminny
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. KHuddy

KHuddy Survivor

Oddometer:
    Not a recall yet, a service bulletin. Will not show on the NHTSA site, but may very well become a recall. Hell they instituted an absurd recall for side reflectors and this is certainly much more serious.
    wasproxy likes this.
  8. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to see BMW stepping up to the plate and doing what's right before some got seriously hurt.
  9. KHuddy

KHuddy Survivor

Oddometer:
    I do not think they have fully stepped up to the plate. A service bulletin/campaign will only affect bikes that are presented at a dealership for service. Some poor sot who does his own work or has it done at an independent shop will not get any benefit from the campaign.
  10. jaystonewee

jaystonewee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW needs to send some engineers to Woodys Wheels to figure out how they work their magic and improve on what they can't seem to get right at the factory or supplier
    nk14zp, ohgood, Jbrjbr21 and 2 others like this.
  11. GSBruce

GSBruce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW needs to diisclose how this debacle came to be.
  12. jaystonewee

jaystonewee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loose QC, specs, tolerances.

It can't just be a bad batch, this has been an annoyance/concern for a while.

To the best of my knowledge, BMW's response has been generally to order new wheels. While this may placate owners, it nearly defeats the purpose of a spoked wheel: the ability to "true" a wheel and make minor adjustments as needed. Seems the engineering and design of the cross spoke wheel leaves something to be desired, hence many riders going to Excel rims and Superlite hubs.

Either the knowledge and skills on how to true/straighten OEM BMW wheels is lacking, or the design is just plain garbage to begin with.
    ohgood and LowOnFuel like this.
  13. Djunta

Djunta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both my brother's bike and mine fall within that date range....:bluduh

EDIT: went to the dealer and all seems well with both bikes as we aren't in the specified build date and our spokes and wheels are still fine! BMW NA is obviously aware of this as our dealer showed us the paperwork and process they have to go through.
    We will keep an eye on things however...:umph
  15. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your perception that many GS riders have opted for custom wheel sets may be a function of your location, being close to Woody's and all, but I'll be amazed if that's remotely true in the world wide market; or even in the NA market, for that matter. Here in the mid-Atlantic I've never run across a single GS riding on custom wheels. Surely they ride through here, but I haven't seen them. Didn't cross paths with a set in deep south or Utah, either.

BMW's spoked wheel design was never solely their own. They licensed the set up to Moto Guzzi, and others for decades. While the design has changed in the ensuing years, the gen. concept remains the same. Regardless, between at least two bike companies selling globally, there are many thousands of these spoked wheels running around the world.

That BMW has recently experienced a relatively small volume problem likely means that they'd changed some component or process, and whatever was altered ain't working well. Now that they've found - or at least admitted to - the issue, they'll come up with a solution. The cost of repairs and replacements has motivated them to fix the underlying problem. Money has a way of focusing corporate attention, after all.

And for those consumers who demand something approaching perfection from these admittedly pricey machines, I suggest you refrain from buying BMW's first year products. A rough rule for decades has been that their last year or two of production tend to the best of a particular model. And specifically as to the spoked wheels, unless you're banging about off-road and need the ability to mess with wheel truing out in the field, then cast wheels are more than sufficient. And forget about having a dealership "true" these wheels. They haven't done that work in maybe this century.
    Grizzler, pistole and JimVonBaden like this.
  16. dirty_t

dirty_t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have stock spoked wheels on my 2012 GS. Haven’t noticed any issues with the spokes over 40k miles, including dirt/technical terrain.

I wonder what was different about this batch? Someone neglected to properly tighten things up? Bad set screws? Stretchy batch of spokes?

Weird.
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because the DOT are a bunch of idiots with an agenda.

I expect that, in their sweet time, he DOT will issue a recall for the wheels too.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably a new manufacturer of parts.
  19. KHuddy

KHuddy Survivor

Oddometer:
    I do not think it is a coincidence that the quality control problems that BMW Motorrad and that German car manufacturers, including Mercedes, have/are experienced followed reunification and their immigration issues. Their work force was flooded with people who were not raised with the traditional German values concerning quality and they were not trained from a young age in the skills required. It is just a hunch, but I imagine German employers were encouraged with both the carrot and the stick approach to expand into the former East Germany and to employee former East Germans. Not trying to make a political statement here.... just an observation.
    bajaburro, wasproxy and Grizzler like this.
  20. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or they guy who just got serviced a month ago and planned on 6000 trouble free miles......