1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW Atlantis 4 Leathers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jroad, Jul 15, 2008.

1. jroad

jroad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone own the BMW Atlantis 4 leather suit? What is your experience with it?

Thanks,

John
  2. fertscrubs

fertscrubs n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of purchasing aswell. Interested in opinions regarding warmer weather riding.
  3. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    These things are so new I'm doubtful there'll be much experience with them. If they're anything like the Atlantis 3, they're awesome suits. I wouldn't use it for summer riding in the nineties. It was definitely my favorite suit when I had it.
  4. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    Every report I've seen on the Atlantis gear has been very postitive. I think I read somewhere that the AT4 no longer comes with waterproof liners because the leather and the treatment they use does the job very well.

Not sure on hot weather riding in it.
  5. iLander

iLander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got an AT3 jacket & it is awesome! If the 4 is even better than it will be quite something!

In warm weather the jacket is fine: I'm talking into the 80's not extreme heat. Arms are vented and the leather breathes really well.

The waterproofing works great & I use a rain shell if it's really pouring otherwise the jacket is fine on its own.

This jacket is uber comfortable and gets more comments from other bikers/non-bikers than any coat I've owned...most can't believe that it is armoured!

I can't imagine getting an AT4 since this thing is going to last FOREVER!
  6. jroad

jroad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input, everyone. Atlantis 3 sounds like a winner. Am thinking Atlantis 4 should be as good. I particularly like the waterproof quality, as well as the breathability and durability. Looks too!

Anyone actually own one and can report first hand experience?
  7. kevlar930

kevlar930 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW, a member of another forum I frequent has purchased the Atlantis 4 leathers and love them. He is currently riding around Canada to Alaska, so he doesnt know about the warm weather, but has ridden with them in torrential down pours and said they did not leak and were very breathable. I'm very tempted, but the price has me a little nervous.
  8. jroad

jroad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report on the Canada Alaska rider. Both the breathability and waterproof qualities appeal to me a lot, so his experience is helpful. Know what you mean about the price, but I have the sense that these leathers will last a long time.

Anyone else with direct experience of the Atlantis 4?
  9. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone who has had the Atlantis 4 jacket for a while has any more comments, especially about the upper end of the temperature range for this jacket?

Also, none of the write-ups I've seen describe the pocket set-up--how many, how do they close, are they waterproof, etc.? Would love to know!
  10. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    bump. anyone, anyone?
  11. slekke

slekke n00b

Oddometer:
    Early in the beginning of 2000, i bought a atlantis.

Now after several years and a lot of km, it is stil dooing her job.

Last week i bought the samen stlantis but a type 4. I am good now for the 10 next years. :freaky

Frederik
    R1200rt
    R100gs pd
    990 adv
  12. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I have an AT3 jacket.

I find it too warm for summer riding (i.e. over 85 degrees). There is no venting, really. There are a couple of small underarm vents but nothing in the back to flow the air.

It's "reasonably" waterproof but on an unfaired bike in a rainstorm, you're going to get wet (at least I do...certainly wetter than when I wear my Darien. I don't have the goretex liner though).

There aren't any extra pockets - just the wallet pocket and the two hand pockets.

It looks great, feels great, and has nice built-in armor, and lots of people comment on how "nice" it is. It's not the most versatile piece of kit that I own, but I enjoy wearing it. I use it mostly as a spring/fall jacket. Hot humid weather is too much. If you live out west it would be fine.

dc
  13. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    IMO the Streetguard is a better suit. It costs about the same, the temp range is similar as well although I think the Streetguard is a little warmer in cold temp. The SG uses a laminated Goretex liner under the shell just like the Atlantis. You'll be quite warm with either of these suits above 80f degrees. I've been using the SG 2 for over two years now and it has been fantastic. I've been in downpours for hours at freeway speeds and always dry. The new SG 3 should be even better. Here's a review site on both the SG and Atlantis. http://www.pacwit.com/index.php?opt...ategory&id=7:jackets&Itemid=10&layout=default
  14. Zonker

Zonker Plain old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been lurking for awhile without posting but I'll jump in on this one because it was so difficult for me to get ANY info on this suit before sinking my own almost $2k into it! I got the whole AT4 back in January when I heard the prices were about to go from expensive to crazy-expensive – if you haven’t looked the jacket alone it now a grand – ok, $999.01. As much as BMW puts into developing its apparel, you’d think they could throw you a little information bone on their website after doing so, but nope, not their bag. Even when you buy the thing any features it may or may not have are up to you to discover. I know it ain’t rocket science, but still.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    It is as “nice” a suit as could be made. Really just a 10 by every measure of quality. But the points that people want to know; that I wanted to know. It’s completely waterproof without a hassle zip-in liner. How will it do in heat was high on my list of questions. Not great; it’s solid leather, with no vents, none, nada - unless you count the front zip and wrist zips - I don't. I’ve only ridden it up to about 80 degrees and it was fine [moving] at that temp but I could tell I was moving toward the upper range. I’m planning to ride from Western NC down to central <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:State> a couple weeks from now and will know more after I do. I’ll be packing my Venting Machine jacket just in case, and I have a feeling I'll be glad I did. For cold ridding it does as well as what you put under it. It’ll block the wind and keep you dry. Pockets in the Jacket: two inside vest, two hand pockets, neither very big; that’s it. Pants have two zip front pockets.<o:p></o:p>
    It’s very comfortable and just makes you want to ride! Of course everything makes me want to ride… [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
  15. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zonker and others,

thanks for the feedback, very helpful. given the relative lack of pocket and venting, now leaning toward new BMW trailguard, but we'll see...keep us posted!
  16. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found one of these jackets in my size, tried it on, loved how it fit, bought it...

Great jacket, but worried about using it in warm weather. Luckily Moscow is not too hot. Will keep you all posted on how it works out.
  17. mljmd7

mljmd7 Aint No nOOb

Oddometer:
    Got the Atlantis 4 six weeks ago.
    It's the max.
    Very comfortable , good flexibility.
    Keeps me at a perfect temp.

Would like to see hot weather report from someone.
  18. Zonker

Zonker Plain old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I just got back from my road trip to central Florida where I got to try the suit up to mid 80s – 87 was about the highest. As long as I was moving I kept very surprisingly cool. I’m at a loss to explain why that is. I’m NOT a hot weather kind of guy in general. The wrist vents work very well as that’s the natural direction you’d want the air-scoop to be in, but it seemed more than that; it just wasn’t that hot in there? At a stop that changed of course, but I’ve yet to see a suit where that was not the case. Even my Venting Machine is hot at a stop and it’s pure mesh; of course it’s black pure mesh (a suit made for the hottest of hot conditions that comes only in black WTF). Sitting still in direct sun in the heat is hot period. Granted, on this trip it was a dry heat by east coast standards and 87’s not that hot, but still I was pleasantly surprised by how cool the black all leather suit was. I'll be interested to see how it does in the 90s this summer.
  19. seabiker

seabiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    According to the following article the suit has to be returned to BMW after 3 washes for re-waterproofing. Can anyone confirm this? That would be adding expenses I'm assuming to an already expensive suit and BMW doesn't do anything for cheap. Love the suit and am considering it but would like to know what I'm getting into - literally and monetarily :)

http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=1969669
  20. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    so does anyone have actual experience riding in 100f+ with Atlantis 4?