1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW Atlantis suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bly, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any feedback on how the new zipper has held up?

The main zipper pull on my A4 had problems a year ago or so and a cobbler popped on a new #5 'locker' for me. It began to fail this fall already and i had someone else repress the pull. I started wearing the A4 in winter this year and it started to fail again almost immediately. I'm taking it in to have an estimate tomorrow. I'm thinking a metal #8 would be enough, but wondering about pros/cons of a #10...?
  2. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took another major tumble last month. Think i cracked a rib, guess all that padding can only help so much. However, it still looks and feels like the suit is plenty protective. I think i would have spent a small fortune in textile gear by this point...
  3. BRuud

BRuud n00b

Oddometer:
    After years of commuting in Rukka gear I 've switched to atlantis 5 since I like leather more when riding for fun.

Has any one upgraded the protection or found a vest you can wear under the atlantis?
    Peanut_Buttery likes this.
  4. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of protection are you thinking of? The included CE armor is top notch. I've bounced up from three hard tumbles (basically high sides) in it so far. I was considering what might have prevented the broken rib (from landing hard on my shoulder), but am thinking something like that would cost close to as much as i paid for the jacket and be very impractical to wear in the situation where i would have needed it.
  5. BRuud

BRuud n00b

Oddometer:
    Ribs/chest mostly.

I also wonder whether the knee protection will stay in place in case of a tumble. The trousers have a lot more loose fit than the jacket

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N915FY met Tapatalk
  6. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never have had doubts about the knee armor, it cups the knees securely. It is the same in the Atlantis and the Summer II pants, which have a much looser fit (on me as i wear tall/long sizes), but i've taken a few tumbles in those also with nothing to show but ripped fabric. The two issues i do have are limited breatheability (mostly with the Summer IIs since i'm wearing them frequently in summer), and that with constant wear through varying temps (sub freezing to 90*F), they started to crack in a few places. I was able to replace the torn one for around $15 OEM from a BMW shop though...
  7. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates

Oddometer:
    Been riding this for awhile. Never felt the need to upgrade or change the armor. Feel pretty stout compared to my other fear. Won't likely work for me in the summer when it's often 90-100 but otherwise works.

On complaint is cold air coming up between the pants and jacket. Better when using the full connecting zip but still can get chilly.
  8. younger06

younger06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Feel the need to get this thread going again........purely because I have just got a pair of brand new Atlantis pants with tags still on for €180 from a dealer who was clearing out some display stock!!!! (they retail in Ireland for €900)

I'm looking forward to being impressed. Going to use them for a 10 day tour of Spain in June and hoping they won't be too clammy!!
    Sailorlite likes this.
  9. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, i will report that i had my cobbler put a #10 metal zipper in the jacket. It looks nice and feels strong, but also porous. I noticed cold air through it immediately. It is difficult to tell with water penetration as i haven't been in too many storms, and will have a tall windshield or tuck behind my smaller one if i do.

Best design would seem to be a larger zipper designed with the waterproof edging, wonder if they are much more expensive or failure prone...?
  10. nikosb

nikosb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Resurrecting an old thread because I am considering getting the BMW Atlantis jacket on sale in a few stores. This thread was started by someone complaining the BMW Atlantis is not waterproof. The BMW description about the suit found here:

https://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/en/wear/ride/atlanits-suit.html

specifically states that "Highly abrasion-resistant, full-grain cowhide leather (thickness 1.2 – 1.4 mm), significantly hydrophobic and water-repellent (not waterproof because no membrane is used)"

Some riders claim that this jacket kept them dry, however it was not meant to be waterproof. I am not sure what BMW was thinking when they were designing this jacket. They made it hydrophobic, taped the seams and then market it as not waterproof?
    Valentino likes this.
  11. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I imagine BMW can’t claim it’s fully waterproof because people will complain it’s damp after a 6-hour ride in torrential rain. However, I’ve heard others suggest the Atlantis is waterproof in real-world light to moderate rain. But I’ve no personal experience and, like @nikosb, I'd like to read owners’ perspectives.
  12. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    That's odd. BMW Canada, eh? If you look at my old posts in this thread, BMW (Germany, I guess) used to use the waterproof symbol for this suit (Atlantis 4, specifically, without the membrane that the Atlantis 3 had), and state that it is waterproof. Mine was waterproof for hour-long downpours at highway speeds in the Chicago area on an R1150GS. Haven't tested it in a while. It's not a dry diving suit, so there's always the chance water gets pushed in by the wind through one of the openings (like between pants and jacket).
    Not sure what else to say about that.

For what it's worth, water absorption is also pretty minimal; I don't really feel like searching through this thread, but I seem to remember I once weighed the jacket soaking wet, and it wasn't much difference, so the soaked surface layer is very thin.
    vincentrapide and Peanut_Buttery like this.