BMW Atlantis suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bly, Nov 2, 2011.

1. DP55

DP55

Oddometer:
    In the original 2020 BMW Motorrad RIDE Catalogue you find some information.

Here you can do a download:
    https://www.bmw-motorrad.com.au/en/wear/ride.html#/filter-all

There you'll find this:

Functional washing detergent, 250ml For high-quality BMW Motorrad clothing, outdoor apparel and sportswear, and microfbre fabrics. Especially suitable for suits with membrane technologies (as either laminate, liner or insert), which retain their water and wind-repellency and breathability even after multiple washes. Waterproofng agent for motorcycle clothing, 300ml Water and oil-repellent, for large fabric surfaces made out of natural and synthetic fbres. The agent wraps the fbre in an invisible, hydrophobic monomolecular flm.
    Peanut_Buttery likes this.
  2. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    The instructions for the Atlantis 4 seem to differ from the instructions for the previous Atlantis jackets. The leather/construction might be a little different or it may have been decided somewhere that the new method is better than the old method. Or maybe BMW just wants the profit from their over-priced detergent. The many differences in methods between people and from the manufacturer have left me not really knowing what to do for my Atlantis 3 Pro. I guess the advice I've seen that makes the most sense is to use Nikwax Tekwash and then follow up with some kind of Nubuck conditioner.

Comments? Thoughts?
  3. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s treated leather. Wash with a gentle detergent (either machine or in the tub, your chicks), condition well as it dries. Techwash is primarily aimed at ensuring no residue on membranes, which the A4 doesn’t have.
  4. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't use any generic waterproof detergents, even the BMW one listed by DP55 above- they are going to be designed for textile fabrics, who knows what they would do to the leathers. I have the number for the BMW Atlantis treatment kit somewhere, can't find it at the moment. If nothing else I think the warehouse sticker is on the box still and can find it next week when back home.

But, even with liberal spraying of the waterproof treatment I've never achieved a perfect barrier. If the crotch folds over in a seating position and is allowed to gather water, it leaks there a few minutes after left that way despite my liberal application of the spray to the area. If I lay down on the tank bag or vacate the water there every few minutes, everything that isn't crash damaged holds out water. I bought my pants used so YMMV, particularly if they are new from BMW.

To me the hydrophobic elements mean that I don't have to worry about the suit soaking up water, becoming heavy and staying wet for days after being in the rain. It also doesn't get brittle and crack if left untreated for years. Sure it costs thousands (hundreds if found used), but to have top notch crash protection for the better part of a decade makes it worth the investment.
  5. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    Thanks! So like, Woolite. But I do have an A3 Pro so I do have membranes. And I do have some Techwash.

What kind of conditioner do you recommend? I have some Anthony's One Step spray on conditioner. Or should I use something Nubuck specific?
  6. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    To quote myself:

*shrug* the other folks who make treated “washable” leather (Kushitani / Hyod) just say to wash it with a gentle detergent. Barnacle Bill, the professional leather suit repair guy who’s been doing this for ages, machine washes and conditions with a gentle body lotion all leather suits that come to him. If you have the membrane one, I can see using Nikwax’s tech wash which is made to not clog ePTFE pores, but otherwise should be identical.”
  7. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    At one time, perhaps still, the NikWax Tech Wash was said to be a soap rather than a detergent. That was supposed to be its advantage over other wash products such as the BMW branded detergent mentioned above. So, is a soap really generally better than a detergent for washing our riding gear?
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For items that have an ePTFE membrane (Gore, eVent), the pores can get clogged over time with surficants used by normal detergents. Non-laminated synthetics don’t care - although getting the stink of sweat out of nylon / poly can be a pain, so “sports detergents” can help there if the lining isn’t treated with an anti-odor / bacterial coating.
  9. sbeadg

sbeadg Found in Fogo Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's pretty challenging for "waterproof" pants to keep standing (or rather sitting) rain out of the crotch without getting through. My Latitude pants do a decent job however I recently installed a "sit-n-fly" seat cover on my bike. This mesh material provides "drainage" aka a place for water to go. I'm hopeful this approach will eliminate the need to pull out the frogs togs in the middle of a downpour. No relation to sit-n-fly.
  10. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the functional difference between a soap and a detergent beyond the ability to work better in hard water?

Working with leather, the key to suppleness and durability is retention of oils in the fiber network of the dermis. Most leather relies on acid bonds to do this, any detergent or soap works to destroy this. Any idea what process is involved in tanning the leather of this suit?
  11. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    Here's a link (in german, but google should offer to translate it into funny english...) about the manufacturing of the Atlantis 4: https://www.motorradonline.de/bekle...-der-lederkluft-atlantis-in-der-firma-meindl/
    Unfortunately it doesn't say exactly how the tanning (german: Gerben) is done. Google found another page (keywords 'meindl gerben') describing how leather for traditional bavarian leather pants is tanned using fish oil: https://www.rohn-moden.de/saemische-gerbung/
    No idea whether the Atlantis is tanned that way.
    Peanut_Buttery and Don Coyote like this.
  12. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW part # 72607673861
    Available from MaxBMW for $36.

"When is the last time you washed your riding gear? “Huh? You mean I’m supposed to wash it?” You know who you are and now you have no excuse!! BMW’s own top quality, all natural specially formulated to be solvent-free, biodegradable, and environmentally conscious. Designed to clean, protect, and maintain waterproof ability of BMW Riding Apparel Nubuck and leathers. Kit contains one 150 ml bottle of Cleaning Solution and one 250 ml bottle of Impregnation/Condition Spray, and detailed instructions. 1 kit - for Brushed Leather."
    The cleaning solution says "For cleaning BMW leather clothing,leather gloves and leather boots, as well as leather/textile combinations, leather seats and leather saddle bags and cases in smooth leather appropriate coarse leather."
    Ffor machine washing: "delicate wash at 30*C, fully spin dry. Hang on coat hanger allowing to dry thoroughly at room temperature, do not lay over heating or dry in tumble dryer"
    "Ingredients: tensides, natural, preserving oils, soaps, fragrances. No chemical solvents and no preservatives."

Real OEM lists it as "ending" in 2014. Was that when the post 4 Atlantis came out?