BMW Atlantis suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bly, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was caught in a gullywasher last summer wearing my Atlantis 3pro jacket (with rain pants over regular leather pants) for about half an hour with rain heavy enough to limit visibility and i was going 20MPH past pulled over cars on the highway. None of the seams or zippers leaked a drop, even without the liner. I did have a gouge on my chest from a light crash and this area leaked a small patch, but i assume it needs to be retreated.

It sounds like manufacturing defects for the OP. I've just upgraded to an Atlantis 4 jacket and am hoping the manufacturing quality did not drop when they moved production from Romaina to Bosnia. I doubt i have any recourse having used an ebay auction. I'd be very surprised if the OP, having bought from a dealer, couldn't take the complaint up the chain of command to get a refund if it didn't fail under very extreme circumstances. Too bad he seems to have been a one post wonder.
  2. BazBro

BazBro Aching bones...

Oddometer:
  3. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    Yep it is definitely "more" waterproof- gore-tex laminated to leather - But with 2 layers materials which dont flow air too well and no vents like Atlantis 4 - the ruka is more suited to colder climate than warmer climate compare to Atlantis

All Ruka Logos - you have got to be a very proud owners to wear any ruka gear.
  4. BazBro

BazBro Aching bones...

Oddometer:
    Ha! Welcome to my world, AceRider! Snow here at the moment...

I DREAM of riding in your climate!!! :thumb I loved Perth when I was there - beautiful.
  5. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pride comes before a fall, so they better not take the gear off...
  6. BazBro

BazBro Aching bones...

Oddometer:
  7. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    while i can understand one might like to show off the brand of gear sometimes - more subtlety is called for - well maybe not Ruka owners i suppose:D
  8. tundra61

tundra61 I wish I had a title

Oddometer:
    In the end - i think it is worth recognizing that there are only degrees of water resistant - nothing (other than maybe a plastic bag (if sealed correctly) are truly waterproof.
  9. tlwood99

tlwood99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Atlantis 4 suit and it has served me well in all conditions, including keeping me dry in a heavy rain. Still I would never consider it waterproof. Its leather. Sooner or later it is going to leak. If I recall correctly, you are suppose to send it back periodically to have it treated, as over time, the "hydrophobic" (or whatever) treatment will wear off.

So in the end, it is a great looking, extremely well made, highly protective and practical bit of kit for the street. But it is still leather and despite the chemistry, under the right conditions it will still act like it.
  10. Simplyred

Simplyred No longer active on ADVRider.

Oddometer:
    We should be aware of the fact that the OP, "Bly", has since his initial post not reacted to any of the responses.
    Looks like he is just dumping critics around here but is not interested in the responses, merely in the effect his post would do to the manufacturers sales in the long haul. I see that almost as a form of abuse of this forum.
  11. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW recommends taking care of heavy soiling by throwing the article in the washing machine, and after 3 such washes returning it to the dealer to be treated.

The Atlantis suit has shown to be overall competitive or better than any other comparable kit i've seen offered, and water resistant enough for almost everyone. I don't know that the OP would even be intellectually capable of mounting a concerted defamation campaign, it looks to me like some juvenile venting. Agreed it would be fortunate if this thread were allowed to sink deep into the old thread landfill...
  12. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie Rider Supporter

Oddometer:

It's true, I am proud and like the big R on my back, it's very reflective and makes it safer at night. It matches my R1200R too. :rofl

I'm also proud that my Rukka has never leaked one drop of water after well over 100,000 miles or after 10 hour wet riding days, much more than I like the logo I never have to look at because it's on my on my back.
    In addition the R logo makes it easy for the few other riders who are "in the know" to distinguish who's completely dry and comfortable when riding down the road in the rain when traveling. :lol3
    The rest of the public just sees an abstract reflective shape that resembles the letter R.

To each their own, though I appreciate the complete lack of branding on the BMW gear we also have. :D
  13. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    just so there isn't any confusion about the different "waterproof" leathers.

1. bmw Atlantis 3 had hydrophobic nubuck leather (and atlantis 3 pro) and used a separate gore-tex liner worn inside the leather jacket. the 3 pro had zippered vents.

2. the Atlantis 4 has hydrophobic nubuck leather, with taped seams, but no waterproof/breathable membrane --its ability to shed water is entirely based on the leather treatment.

3. Rukka's Lancelot, Rukka's Merlin, Aerostich Transit (and the defunct Alpinestars 365 gore-tex leather jacket) all use Gore-tex Pro Shell Leather --the leather has been hydrophobically treated and has a gore-tex membrabe bonded to it.
  14. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    You might like the Rukka with the giant 'R' on the front (the whole jacket looks like one big 'R') even more...

Seriously though, it's not like the Atlantis 4 is completely without branding; it's just that it is done black in black. 'BMW Motorrad' is embossed in about one inch letters on the left sleeve. Plus there are the little metal propeller rondels attached to both the jacket and the pants. Which you could take off if you wanted. And replace with a giant 'R' spray-painted on the back. Or front. Or both..:freaky
  15. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    correct.

1) is probably most versatile overall, but using inner liner to achieve WP can be cumbersome. But additional ventilation stretches its usable temp range esp if u are in warmer climate.

2) is great in light shower and in cooler months.

3) is best in cooler weather - while this setup is the most WP, it must be said that it will flow less air than the 2 previous setup.
  17. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would be some of their bikes...The gear is all pretty well-made, and priced that way.
  18. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    and of those in that group the Rukkas are the most cold/wet weather oriented as they have storm cuffs, snap on storm collars, and no venting. The Aerostich Transit has regular cuffs and a rear vent.
  19. tundra61

tundra61 I wish I had a title

Oddometer:
    I went through the decision last year of the best weatherproof suit (for cold and/or wet weather) and decided to stay with textile (BMW streetguard) for fall - spring and leathers (BMW prorace pants and BMW perforated kushitani jacket) for summer with oversuit if raining.

Maybe I am a pessimist but it just seems like the "one suit for all conditions" is just to good to be true.
  20. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    it is probably true for riders living in places where the variation is mild between summer and winter, where humidity is not an issue, where they have yet to experience monsoonal downpour!

Back to the subject, i have now a few experience of Atlantis 4 in heavy rain - i kept riding for 20 minutes until i got home. I stay mostly dry- a little wet around the neck and shoulder area - this is due to the collar being a design not good at keeping water (running down the neck) out rather than the materials or seam itself- The outside of the garment did drip a fair bit - hanging it on the porch - checked about 40 minutes - it looked dry enough. A towel would have probably been enough to clean the surface water off immediately and allow you to walk around without making a mess!