1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW Atlantis suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bly, Nov 2, 2011.

1. rustydude

rustydude Zannu

Oddometer:
    My experience of the Atlantis Pro suit has been super fantastic!!! I bought it a few years ago. My first experience in the rain was on a trip from Columbus, Ga to Atlanta. It was an absolute downpour but not a single drop got through to the skin. Further, I've ridden through many a storm since then with the same result. I guess I got lucky, huh? :clap:clap:clap
  2. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    It's pretty waterproof, not really windproof (u will get cold in the cold), not that breathable - best for touring in temp between 15c-25c (with only one long sleeve shirt) in drizzle to moderate rain. Protection should be pretty good for for suede leather, but no independent test to verify. looks very well constructed though - and very comfortable in touring mode.
  3. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    has anyone else experience zipper failure on Atlantis 4 jacket?

zipper used is just too small ..
  4. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    Nope, but I read one other post about it. I agree, that zipper could be bigger. I'm very cautious, and have not had any problems so far. Once it fails, have a larger zipper put in.
  5. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had numerous zipper pull failures with the Atlantis gear. On my 3Pro jacket, both wrists and the chest zipper pulls broke and were replaced by a cobbler, and this winter one of the replaced wrist pulls broke. I was actually glad to see the Atlantis 4 had pulls that look and feel beefier, but have had one of those on the wrists break also.

I've read complaints about how the main zipper looks too small and frail, but not an actual problem. That said, i do still wear the 3Pro in winter to take the abuse of temperature changes, the zipper being one area in particular i'm watching...
  6. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    got an Atlantis 3 pro that's got a new #8 brass zipper installed ... just had main #5 zipper come apart on Atlantis 4 jacket. Aerostich Transit and Roadcrafter comes with a #10 zipper. the tailor recommends switching to a #10 metal zipper.

Atlantis 4 only comes with a 1 year warranty .. zipper failure from being too small should not be happening on a product this expensive.

[​IMG]
  7. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, but i'm wondering why there aren't higher quality zippers out there. I imagine that with two zippers, a storm flap between them, and the outer flaps, beefing up the zippers is going to make the area pretty crowded. Let us know how it feels.

Does the transit have anything beyond a single zipper to seal the front?
  8. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Atlantis 4 jacket is at the tailor with best reputation in Tulsa getting a #10 YKK brass zipper installed. local cost to install zipper is $66 ... Rainy Pass repairs wanted $150 + shipping both ways.

tailor claims to be able to install new zipper using exact same stitch line. most shops in town refused job due to thickness of leather. will post pic's of new zipper on Atlantis 4 when I get jacket back next week.

feedback from Aerostich is some RiRi #10 waterproof zippers are failing .. Aerostich is switching back to YKK. wanted to install YKK waterproof zipper but it only comes in #8 for now.
  9. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems like a waterproof zipper on the Atlantis 4 would be overkill- never had a leak with the regular ones. Unless sizing up the zipper creates more room for water infiltration...?
  10. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    came to same conclusion .. water proof zipper is not needed with two zippers, storm flap and outer flaps.

#10 brass YKK fits perfect for outer zipper, doesn't get in the way at all .. #10 YKK gives all sorts of extra strength. #10 is two sizes up from #5 original zipper. which is way too small.

my 90's BMW Kangaroo jacket by Stadler uses a #8 YKK zipper. going down to a #5 zipper combined with a one year warranty was not by accident. IMHO BMW did this on purpose to make sure Atlantis jacket works well when new. but doesn't last too long to accelerate purchase cycle. hmmmm does that sound familiar to R1200 folks with final drive issues?

pretty piss poor installing a tiny #5 main zipper in an $1800 leather suit. anyways .. my Atlantis 4 jacket is fixed permanently .. up next custom tailor deeper pockets for Atlantis 4 pants.

inner zipper is #5 YKK .. new #10 brass YKK for outer .. old #5 YKK zipper shown for size comp

[​IMG]
  11. blsexton

blsexton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Frozen Minnesota Tundra, Western Minneapolis
    Throwing this out for folks subscribed to this thread- where can a fellow purchase a Gore-Tex Liner for the old style suits? Can't seem to find them for sale anywhere...specifically for a used Atlantis 2.
    Thanks
  12. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    any close fitting breathable liner will work fine ... liners from other brands work fine as does bicycling breathable rain gear.
    preference is to use BMW one piece rain suit/coverall for extended downpours.
  13. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks frail, and is frail. Mine failed after a couple of years of light use. Installed a #8 vislon, so far so good.
  14. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    just found your failed BMW zipper thread .. this will sound like tin hat theory but IMHO installing tiny zippers on Atlantis 4 suit was not accidental. NO more than engineering major components to fail on R1200 series after warranty period is expired. accelerating new purchase cycles.

how could BMW not know that tiny zipper will die an early grave??? perhaps that's why AT4 only has a one year warranty?

beefy metal #10 Ykk was installed at tailors recommendations. multiple tailors recommended metal zippers for some reason.
    this picture shows original tiny zipper that was taken out on left compared to new #10 zipper
    [​IMG]
  15. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    How cold of weather do you wear it in?
  16. I GS 1

I GS 1 I 90S I

Oddometer:
    Not sure why a brass #10 is necessarily better than the original. I don't notice too many of them fitted to the leathers worn in MotoGP and WSBK. (10 is a bigger number and bigger is best I suppose) Wear is always a problem with the slider and I am not sure that metal teeth necessarily help that.
  17. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not cold at all...usually about 50-60 degrees fahrenheit, probably never below 40 degrees. I only wear the jacket in the spring and fall because it is too hot to wear in the city during the summer.
  18. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    a metal zipper was recommended by all three tailors in Tulsa that I spoke to so that's what got installed. most all my other suits has #10 YKK plastic zippers .. exceptions are BMW Kangaroo jacket and Rallye which both have #8 YKK plastic zipper.

I'd been fine with a #8 YKK plastic zipper too .. but since tailor has to guarantee his work. he's going to recommend the most durable zipper, which was #10 metal YKK.

here's the zipper lube recommended by Aerostich ..new zipper feels super strong and butter smooth with this non-staining lube. Dupont Teflon Chain Saver lube

[​IMG]
  19. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have any shots of what came apart on the zipper? The bottom looks good in the picture you posted with it.
  20. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    sorry didn't take pictures of failure ... what happened was zipper came apart with AT4 jacket on in the middle of a cold/wet ride. zipper pull was in top position, so naturally I tried to unzip by sliding pull downward.

got about 3/4 way down when zipper pull stuck hard .. ripping teeth apart .. so replacing entire slider was not an option.
    yes I was cussing BMW's choice of a tiny main zipper on a heavy weight leather jacket.

it was no fun riding home in wet/cold winter conditions with no way to zip up jacket :eek1