1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW Atlantis suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bly, Nov 2, 2011.

1. I GS 1

I GS 1 I 90S I

Oddometer:
    In the past 50 years of riding I have never lubed a zipper (haven't even had to lube a chain since 1975 when I bought my first BMW)
  2. runpasthefence

runpasthefence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New Atlantis 4 owner here. I got a smokin' deal on a full suit in my size on ebay. I really lucked out. I've got some questions about getting the suit "re-treated."

Tested its waterproofness for the first time today, and while it performed well, I think the suit needs a "re-treatment."

Has anyone done this yet? My dealer doesn't seem to have a clue about how to make this happen. Where do you send the suit? Any ideas on cost?
  3. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your dealer should know! They used to have a leather care kit very similar to this:
    http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=49938

I suspect though, that the product is probably very similar to this:
    https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/suede-water-repellent#36270

The leather is tanned in a special way so it doesn't absorb a lot of water, but you still look like drowned seal after good ride in the rain. If you drizzle water over it and it beads up, then the coating is still good.
  4. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. AlwaysRolling

AlwaysRolling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what I remember, the 'Care Instructions' on the tag for this suit recommend using a special detergent for washing, and a home waterproofing spray to use after each washing. It also said that after three of these washings and home waterproofings, the suit should be taken to the dealer for professional waterproofing treatment. -This is not exact, but to the best of my recollection. I once asked the dealer about how this professional retreatment happens, and he was not familiar with the process.

The washing detergent and home waterproofing spray are sold together as a kit, it looks just like the textile kit which someone postd a link for, but it explictly says it's for leather. (I would provide you with a link, but I am on an ancient web browser, and the A&S Cycles web page is not working properly for me).

When I first got my Atlantis suit, after maybe 30-45 minutes of heavy rain, it would start letting water seep in through specific areas (seat, crotch, chest). I bought the home detergent/waterproofing kit, and sprayed those problem areas. After that, the suit was more resiliant to water, and goes for maybe two to three hours of heavy rain, until water seeps in through those certain areas/

I have worn tne suit for a few years and maybe 20-30,000 miles, but have never washed it, nor given it any more water proofing treatment, than that first time. I do spot wash bugs, I usually where a liner underneath when I wear it, and once or twice I just let it under the shower to try to remove road grime. Having said that, I don't think it needs professional retreatment (yet), maybe just another round of that spray in specific areas. Although really, I should keep the leather clean, by actually washing it with their detergent, because that road grime is likely very bad for it.

It is really a very high performing piece of gear, and an excellent investment. The bottom line is that the home kit may meet your needs, and if you use the home kit, please note the chemicals smell is strong, so do it in a well vented area. What was your test that makes you think the suit may need retreatment?
  6. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Just my opinion, but I think the huge #10 metal zipper doesn't look so great on the expensive suit. I suppose it will last a long time being big and brass though. Good luck.
  7. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    huh .. #10 zipper looks completely at home. brass gets a dark patina and is all but invisible in short order.

brass is more durable but it seems to be used only on custom leather pieces. almost everyone uses plastic zippers which I'd been happy with too. but a brass zipper is what the tailor recommended.

here's a new Bates custom fit made in USA leather jacket with #9 Talon brass zipper, same price range as Atlantis 4
    [​IMG]

#5 brass zipper for sleeves

[​IMG]
  8. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Agreed that looks great.
  9. AlwaysRolling

Oddometer:
    Very good looking jacket. I haven't seen two opposed sliders like that before. What i the purpose, and how do you like it?
  10. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    To interject, two sliders lets you open the jacket a bit at the bottom while still keeping it secured at the top. Nice if you have a beer belly too.
  11. AlwaysRolling

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the explanation, I have not seen that setup before.
  12. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd put performance above aesthetics generally, but agree about #10 metal on the Atlantis. Big and brass looks nice on my Hein Gericke 'Ranger' jacket, but small and uniform black suits the nubuck leather and trim styling better. Probably another design consideration by BMW when choosing zippers for it.
  13. AlwaysRolling

Oddometer:
    I saw they have released an updated version of the Atlantis suit and the Atlantis gloves.

Pics and more descriptions are available at the following link:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...tem=node__6708

Here is the description of the updated suit (not including the gloves).

The Atlantis suit–an upgrade for the luxury touring choice. The Atlantis all-weather leather touring suit for the 2015 season represents aconsistent further development of the successful Atlantis concept, offering the latest in safety technology and sustainable manufacture.

Every Atlantis suit–available for ladies and men as part of BMW Motorrad’s range of rider equipment–is a one-off example made from natural material.

Premium-quality young bull nubuck leather has been used to create a motorcycle suit from the top drawer. The handpicked leather used for the Atlantis suit is finished in a German tannery, which strictly adheres to German standards and uses mineral technology to create an environment-friendly product that is kind to the skin. For example, an extremely long soaking process replaces the use of large quantities of chemicals, while a preference for low-nitrogen agents protects the environment and harmful solvents containing PCP and AZO dyes are nowhere to be found. The sophisticated construction of the Atlantis provides outstanding body-climate comfort. The hydrophobic process which gives the suit its water-repellent qualities treats the fibres of the leather but not its pores. This allows the leather to retain all its natural breathability. Special tape keeps the seams waterproof,the zips are all rubber-lined and water-repellent, and the optimised front zip for the jacket and the trouser slit have inserts made from a waterproof
    membrane.

Its excellent workmanship and specification ensure the Atlantis suit will rise to the challenge of touring in any weather conditions. The material also has all the answers when it comes to safety features. The full cowhide leather is 1.2 to 1.4 millimetres thick and stands out with its extremely high abrasion resistance. With immediate effect, the Atlantis suit is equipped with the new and outstandingly impact-absorbing NP2 generation
    of protectors for the shoulders, elbows, knees, backand hips, while a
    coccyx protector can be easily retrofitted. The reflective print on both shoulders enhances visibility.

Among the other upgrades displayed by the Atlantis suit
    are a revised fit and improvements to the cut. To provide greater freedom of movement the sleeve hole has been optimised at the front and the legs of the suit have been lengthened. Reducing the width of the sleeves and lower legs minimises flapping while on the move and the cuff bands now also come with zips. This allows riders to pull their gloves on easily–either over or under the suit.

The range of ladies’ sizes has been significantly expanded. For example, the ladies’ Atlantis all-weather leather touring suit in Anthracite and Comfort Fit is now available in sizes 34–48, 72–88 and 17–22. The men’s version can be specified in sizes 46–66, 98–118 and 24–32.

Attached Files:

14. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    It looks like they added a second zipper at the jacket cuffs, got rid of the collar tab, removed the reflective piping at the front of the shoulders (replaced it with reflective print on the shoulders?), toned down the daytime appearance of the reflective inserts on the gloves (dark grey instead of light grey) and changed the outside finger seams to inside seams. There's probably more. It would be interesting to see whether they also changed the width adjustment at the ankles; that's the one spot where my Atlantis 4 is a bit wide and could use a bit more reach of the velcro flap.

According to the text, other changes are that the new gloves allow touch screen operation, and have reflective print. On the suit, the lower legs and the forearms are supposedly cut tighter.
  15. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Collar tab is still there - with two male snaps. Can't tell from that picture if there are two females on the tab or if it is meant to be adjustable.

Also difficult to tell, but looks to me like they might have gone back to a single, larger main zipper?

The sleeve zippers were in need of a little tweaking, wonder how these work?
  16. stoke

stoke ocean minded

Oddometer:
    I had an Atlantis suit in 2008 and part of 2009. It's a beautiful piece of kit, very sharp looking and solid as hell. Rode in the rain a few times for under an hour and didn't experience any water intrusion, but probably wasn't long enough for a real test. Water did pool in the crotch significantly.

One of my favorite things about it was I could basically wear a t shirt under it for most of the year and I was comfortable. Others have reported similar about the Transit. Some guy off of craigslist got a killer deal on it, as in 2009 when the economy took a nosedive, I had to sell it fast for pretty cheap. I now have a Held Carese for adv riding and a Roadcrafter two piece for commuting/street touring duty. The RC is hell above 85F and clammy until you get to 75F and below. Waterproof as hell and thoroughly tested. The Held is great with the removable liner as it has tons of venting for hot summer conditions, and then in the winter when the predictable and infrequent rains come here in socal, you just zip in the liners before you go.
  17. AlwaysRolling

Oddometer:
    Excellent summary of the updates. Also, I believe they have updated the type of armor and the way the jacket is cut/fits. Possibkt the interior liner has also been updated, but that is a guess.

18. JohnHB

JohnHB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would be looking on Ebay Germany (ebay.de) http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-Atlantis-GORE-TEX-Insert-Jacke-/130823021162?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item1e75a8e26a

Atlantis 2 and Atlantis 3 both use the popper, rather than zip-in, insert.

Hope this helps,

John
  19. Arthurwg

Arthurwg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been wearing my Atlantis suit for 10 years or so. It's the older style with zippers under the arms for ventilation. It's amazingly comfortable and good in light rain, but when it really comes down I pull on my rain gear. If it gets hot I open the zippers, including those at the wrist, and let some air in. It needs a good wash so I'm trying to find the detergent/waterproofing mentioned, but so far no luck.
    When it's really hot (over 80F) I wear my BMW "Venting Machine" outfit, and if the temperature cools down later in the day I add a BMW wind shirt under it.
    I really do love BMW gear and am planning to buy a StreetGuard 4 suit when I can convince myself that I can afford it.
  20. AlwaysRolling

Oddometer:

You might want to try calling up the parts/apparel department at one of those flagship dealerships -for example the Max BMW in Troy, New York might be able to get you the detergent and waterproofing kit.

The TourShell is also a very nice textile suit.