1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW Atlantis suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bly, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    The BMW leather kit is Part# 72607673861. Max BMW said they have it available but would have been back ordered so i cancelled to avoid delaying other parts.

I just took my 3Pro to a local cobbler because the main (#8 plastic) zipper was separating from the bottom. It took him about 2 minutes to pop off the old slider and pop on a new one to fix the problem. I showed him the zipper on the 4 i was wearing and he had no comment on the relative sizes of the zippers, but blamed the failure of the 3Pro zipper on the pull tab i had added to replace the original metal tab that broke off. He said the greater (longer) the leverage applied to the zipper like that, the more torsion will pull in the wrong direction and ruin the operation of it. I did not think to ask if he thought a larger gauge zipper would resist those forces better but will do so when collecting my other items next week.

The next thing i'll have him work on is the waist straps on the pants. The zippers have yet to bother me personally, but having these shitty velcro straps fastening the waist of $900 pants has been boggling my mind lately. Never have i felt the need to adjust them, but they don't fasten tight enough to fit well and as they are keep catching on things and pulling loose. Why would crap like that fail if it is never needed or used? Total fail in my book.
  2. AlwaysRolling

AlwaysRolling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new ATlantis Suit will be out this month. I am very happy with the one I have, but please post updates if anyone sees or purchases one.
  3. cruisincruzan

cruisincruzan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It would be nice if the NP2 armor is less temp sensitive than the NP. When I am riding in cooler weather i bring my suit indoors the night before to avoid the wearing the suit with armor that has the flexibility and comfort of granite because of the cold.
  4. AlwaysRolling

Oddometer:
    I have a heated liner, so I have not experienced what you are describing. Having said that, the big orange back pad is very bulk, but I believe, provides excellent protection. -In the new suit they will replace the back pad, but continue to use the orange pads on the other positions.
  5. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are changing the shape of the back pad or using new material?
  6. AlwaysRolling

Oddometer:
    At the very least, they are using new material (the same material being used in all the BMW suits from now on). -From what I read, in the Atlantis, only the back pad will be getting replaced, the other padding will stay the same (material wise, at least).

Other updates to the suit include:
    1. New cut for the jacket.
    2. New reflective piping.
    3. Bigger leg holes for the pants.
    4. New, less chemically harmful approach to waterproofing the leather.
    5. New zippers.
    6. Two buttons at the collar.
    ?
  7. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I mentioned this before, but the new wrist zippers are much needed. I'm now on the third repair of those for my 3pro which i wear in winter and always try to pull tight to seal over glove gauntlets. However, i think they will be fine from now on as i recently bought the Atlantis 3 gloves. These are a huge improvement over the 2s, which had a Goretex liner that made them a pain to put on and about as bulky and clumsy as the winter gloves. The 3s have a nice leather palm that has good feel and are almost as comfortable as my Helds (wish BMW did the gloves in 'tall' sizes also). Plus the Atlantis 3 gauntlets have a cuff/zipper system which is superb, eliminates the need to jam them inside the jacket and are just as warm/windproof as the winter gloves. I imagine they are just as waterproof but haven't had above freezing weather to ride in yet...
  8. AlwaysRolling

Oddometer:
    Hello there, I also have the Atlantis 3 Gloves. I like them a lot, and this is my second pair -one point to be aware of is to remove them gently. For the left one, one time my hand was damp when I put it on (and mine fit very tight), then when I removed it, I yanked hard enough and seperated in glove interior from the exterior. Over time that glove sucked to have to put on, because the inner glove fingers would not align with those of the outer glove.

As for the sleeve zippers, I wear the gloves on the outside. I have never had a problem with BMW zippers, after I began grasping from the base of the zipper handle (where it meets the slider) -I learned that after breaking two zipper handles on my Comfort Shell suit (I also broke a third zipper when I overstuffed one of the jacket pockets).

I think the Atlantis 3 glove is an excellent glove, and yes, it is water proof.

Really, I think one of the best BMW gloves is called the 'Pro Sport 2' glove which is black and grey, and with boxy knuckles. The successor to it is just not as good (the palm pad is not as thick, the knucke protection not as large, etc).

Really these BMW accessories are very high quality.
  9. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you sure you have Atlantis 3s? Your description sounds like my Atlantis2 gloves. The 3s don't feel like they have a liner to separate, and they've only been available less than a year so "Over time" doesn't sound very applicable...
  10. AlwaysRolling

Oddometer:
    Hi there, yes I just checked the label of the glove and it says Atlantis 3. I have two pairs, one which I bought maybe in 2012, and one which I bought a few months ago at a sale. The ones from (I think) 2012 I pulled to hard on the left one and separated the interior part of the glove from the exterior. This made it a real pain to put on, but I put up with it for about two years, until the one glove got a hole in it (and the interior not fitting was really annoying me by then). I still have the older pair, but only use them to toot around, the good pair I will save for weekends, long trips, heavy rain, etc.

I can not remember exactly when I got them, but know it was before Spring of 2013. I thought I had them in Winter of 2012, but perhaps not. These are modern gloves and have a rubber "windshield wiper" on the left finger.
  11. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure how to comment, but I had never heard of Atlantis 3s before the summer of 2014 and thought they were part of that year's new releases. In fact i'm pretty sure i saw an article from last year that described their release. I've seen many places claiming to sell 3's that show pictures of 2s. The pattern on the back is different, but the telling point is the inner cuff on the gauntlet that extends slightly beyond the outer cuff with the zipper. The only good thing i found on the 2s is the massive, effective windshield wiper, the one on the 3s is less substantial.
  12. AlwaysRolling

Oddometer:
    Hello, yes, I had what's pictured in the first link you provided not the second link. I don't remember exactly when I purchased them, but am certain I had them before May 2013, because I left on a trip without taking my waterproof gloves, then I regretted it. I got a replacement pair last September at a remodeling sale, and by then my original ones were rather worn (though still good except they had a hole on the left finger and that inner glove came loose -this was entirely my fault).
  13. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, did some searching and they were released as part of the 2011 collection. I just never saw them because i watch eBay for Atlantis items and they only recently started showing in the US. Hard to believe there are layers in there since they feel so thin in the palm. How is it you separated the layers in yours exactly?
  14. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    It's partly for this reason that I like to wear glove liners.
  15. AlwaysRolling

Oddometer:
    Thank you, that is earlier than I thought. I really don't remember when I got mine, but thought I had them for about two years. Like I say, the problem was entirely my fault. I have mine a very tight fit -so much so, that if my hands are damp (ie, when I step out and it's raining and I need to bungeee the backpack on the rear seat, they get wet and hard to fit in the glove. Already they were like that, and I stopped at a gas station, and was agitated or something, so I took off the glove roughly, without realizing the wrist velcro was still wrapped. So I yanked the glove hard, but the inside part still stuck to my hand.

This made me very mad at myself, and for about two years that left hand glove was always a pain to deal with, because I would have to align the inside glove with the outside fingers. This got worse twoards the end, where one finger wouldn't even extend all the way out. On top of that, the "friction patch" they put on the left hand finger had worn off, so there was a hole in the glove. Between these two, and the good mileage I got from the glove, when my dealer had a remodeling sale this past September, I bought a replacement set.

The gloves are excellent, but I was too rough with the one. The best suggestion for removeing the glove is to be genltle, and for each finger., lightly clamp on bother the exterior and interior glove and pull together a little bit for each finger, and then remove.
  16. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    That must be what happened to my Atlantis 2s. I bought them used and was never impressed by them. I wasn't sure if i just noticed it more recently but maybe i had wet hands and separated them myself at some point. That is a big detraction to me for them and i really hope it doesn't show up in the 3s for me since i'm not going to baby them...
  17. AlwaysRolling

Oddometer:
    Hello there, as I began to recall the incident, the main problem was not so much the wet hands, but my harshly removing the tight fitting left glove while that narrow (and tight) wrist strap was still on. I did not realize it at the time. It was stupid for me to do, and it made that glove a pain to put on (worse later on).
  18. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    great feedback on winter AT3 gloves .. been using Gerbings heated gloves which are a pita to get on. gauntlets are on the small size trying to tuck in AT4 sleeves.
  19. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't call them winter gloves- they are not insulated like the Prowinters. Don't think i could run them without muffs and heated grips if it was below 45-50F. But the cuffs are a perfect combo that cover where muffs end while still giving good feel on the grips.

[edit: with heated grips but no muffs i could see them working down to 40*, maybe 35*F.]
  20. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    The Atlantis 3 gloves are definitely not winter gloves. I bought them as summer rain gloves. I use different gloves for cold (30s/40s) days in spring and fall.