1. eNewsletter Sign Up

BMW bike/gear dealers in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Riyadh

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by Proton, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi -

I'm going to be in UAE and KSA in May on business, and while I won't have time to do any riding, I would not mind checking out a few dealerships to see if there's any interesting gear that would be hard to find at home (Canada).

For example I've been thinking about picking up a BMW System 5 helmet with the WCS-1 bluetooth system for audio, which is not currently marketed in North America (this is why I mention BMW dealers, but really any good ADV gear outlet would be cool).

Does anyone know of any good places to pick up gear in the places mentioned in the title (Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Riyadh)? Is selection generally good? How would prices compare to North America or Europe?

Thanks for any info, and looking forward to my first visit to the region.

P
  2. CourtFisher

CourtFisher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html
    -->
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Abu Dhabi Motors

</TD><TD vAlign=top>Crn. Shk. Zayed the First / 32nd Street Khalidiya P.O. Box 46468 , Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
    Tel. 00971-2-6811700, Fax. 00971-2-6813800

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://www.bmw-me.com/me/en/general/ecom_uib/dealer_locator/content.html
    -->
    AGMC Dubai
    P.O.Box 8827
    Dubai
    U.A.E.

Showroom and Service:
    Sheikh Zayed Road
    Dubai

Telephone: +971-4-3391555
    Fax: +971-4-3390880

www.bmw-dubai.com

http://www.bmw-saudiarabia.com/cms/me_dl/ksa_en/dealer/news/news_2008.html
    -->Riyadh
    Physical Address Khorais Road Showroom and Service Centre:

Mohammed Yousuf Naghi Motors
    Dammam Express Highway, Naseem District
    Near Max Discount Centre
    Riyadh 11413
    Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Phone: 01-239 1000 / 239 2000

BUT...
    BMW bikes & accessories might only be sold/ retailed in Dubai. You need to check with above importers/ dealers to confirm availability of anything.
  3. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CourtFisher thanks very much for the replies - I had Googled for dealers, but was not able to get such specific information. Any comments on general pricing and whether the selection is better/worse/different than in North America would also be welcome.

I am supposing that the selection of hot weather riding gear should be good... what gear do people wear in that heat?

Cheers,

P
  4. CourtFisher

CourtFisher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No personal UAE experience. Speculation that selection is worse, and prices higher than NA (simply 'cause the bike & gear market is much smaller, and all needs to be imported). If I were riding in UAE, I'd select & take best (vented) hot weather gear from home/ NA, e.g. BMW, RevIt, Motoport, whatever tickles your fancy.

You'll probably get much better/ more informed feedback by searching/ posting at
    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/middle-east/

BTW, if it's a BMW System helmet w/ Bluetooth that interests you--and assuming BMW Canada is not importing the Bluetooth-version--I think you're more likely to find one at a UK/ Euro BMW dealer than a UAE BMW dealer. BMW has also recently released a System 6 w/ 'upgraded' Bluetooth. Google it.
  5. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks yet again for this very helpful info - I had been guessing that pricing would probably be worse, but selection could be better given wealth in this area.

Will check out the links you mention, and the System 6 helmet. I just tried on a System 5 (non-Bluetooth) helmet at a local dealer and it actually didn't seem to like my head shape that much. Not sure if they offer wide/narrow head variants.

Cheers,

Rick
  6. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    thats the BMW car dealer for saudi arabia. The BMW motorrad dealer is Tristar Motorcycles with showrooms in Riyadh and Jeddah. They do have a respectable collection of BMW bikes and gear. Better check them out in person as i dont know much about the availability of specific beemer items.

they are here - http://www.tristarksa.com/
  7. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that clarification - I'll be going in May, so the info is still very helpful. I also have a stopover in Germany, so may see if I can check some dealers there on the way (but crap I think it'll be on a Sunday...)
  8. deepstar

deepstar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I live in Oman - and ride a 1150GSA and an 11S. Prices here are generally OK, and thwe UAE dealer does have quite a good collection of Gear; Last time they did have some Helmets in stock.

As for Hot Weather riding gear .... well today it is 43C, and I am still wearing a leather jacket. I am off for a 350 km road ride tomorrow, and will be wearing full leathers. But 43C is my limit....

I (and many other bikers here) wear Summer Jackets - I have a Revit, Frank Thomas are also popular. Whilst they do allow the air to get at your skin - the air is still 43C+ and it seems to suck the moisture out from you more than if you just wore the leather.

I always carrier bottle of water in my panniers, but from now, I shall carry a "CamelPack" - re-hydration system.

If you are moving at speed 110+ kph, then you get a bit of cooling, get stuck in traffic for 10 minutes and you are cooking.

Hope this helps and good luck with the shopping - remember even in a posh BMW dealer's you are expected to haggle a bit !!:evil
    Xindusun likes this.
  9. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey this is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for - I wince at the prospect of a Canadian summer (30's, humid) but know that this is nothing compared to what you guys are riding in (on the other hand I get to ride when it's snowing...) It's really cool (pun somewhat intended) to hear advice and specific equipment recommendations from someone riding in that climate.

Also thanks for the info on the UAE dealer (must remember to haggle). Just to make sure I'm not confused, do you have the specific name/address of the dealer you mean? I have done a fair bit of googling, but given some of the ambiguities between the car and bike franchises, my unfamiliarity with the area, and the fact that I'll probably have a very narrow time window to visit the dealer, I need all the info I can get.

I'll be out of Canada long enough for this trip to get a decent customs exemption - I'll also be in UK and Germany and as others have suggested these are likely good places to look for a BMW system helmet, but these will be much shorter trips with almost no customs exemption (meaning big $$$ coming back unless I want to risk seizure of the goods).

Thanks again for this helpful reply,

Rick
  10. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I'm here in Dubai, staying at the Hilton Jumeirah, and none of the web links for BMW Motorrad Dubai seem to work. Not sure I'll have time to hunt for them, but if anyone has the exact address and it's in the vicinity I may have time to grab a cab there and check it out.

Seen a number of intrepid bikers in the heat - getting pretty toasty today!
  11. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, drove right by it, and seems the car and moto dealers are in the same building (although apparently separate franchises).

Was on the way to a meeting, so couldn't drop in. Hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks again to all who replied,

Rick

PS Dubai is nuts!
  12. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    If you are going to be in AbuDhabi, drop into ADM (AbuDhabi Motors) Khalidiya, who are BMW motorrad importers/dealers.

Kamal there is a good fella. ph: 02-6811700

hows u likin the heat ? :lol3

i was once stuck in traffic at noon time, with a quickly heating KTM 990, fully loaded with panniers and my wifey as pillion in Dubai-sharjah traffic, we were bathed in sweat by the time we got out of that shit :eek1