BMW C Evolution Electric Scooter

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Eddy Alvarez, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    How many do you think they'll sell?
  3. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't need an 80mph scooter. 55mph is just right. Something more like a Gogoro S would be ideal (and less than half the price of the BMW). Now if I win the lottery then sure, I could see myself on something like this BMW. Perhaps they'll introduce a smaller, less-speedy scooter in the future if the C Evolution does well. I wish them luck.
  4. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
  5. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish BMW made an electric motorcycle instead but I understand why they went scooter first. I am not trusting of the Zeros for long term battery reliability, the new ones are a big change in the right direction but it will take a few years of longevity reports to build up a good reputation. The BMW is using the newer i3 cells and those have some of the best reports out there. That said, I'm an i3 owner for my daily driver, so I'm biased. I'd trust BMW tech for these batteries, they have sold 100k I3s with this general technology and battery (more 60ah vs newer 96ah in these) but still, great history and large volume (compared to anyone else).

Anyone know what the "fast charger" option is? Seems like its more than the L2 240v, maybe its CSS? That could be a game changer but I dont think these have thermal management? I was disappointed in the battery warranty...
    Shaolin likes this.
  6. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Review from USA - Motorcycle Consumer News
    voltsxamps likes this.
  7. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The C Evo is pretty cool. Rode one for a couple of days. In dynamic mode, it's got some pep in it's step. On the freeway? Not a huge fan but only because like most scooters, it's small-but no problems keeping up.

It comes with an L1 charger and will work with the 240v L2. Beyond that, i'm not sure.

Like many electric vehicles, it's got a short range which is fine for most commutes. It is heavy but I didn't see that as a negative.
  8. cpallen

Oddometer:
    also pretty cool for the techies
    Redoubt likes this.
  9. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    606 lbs!
  10. ian408

Oddometer:
    You could win the slow contest at a rally. :lol3
  11. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:

>> ffwd to 6:50

Reviewers at motorcycle.com felt that it carried its weight very well and that unless you were pushing it, you really couldn’t tell it weighed that much.
    longslowdistance likes this.
  12. ian408

Oddometer:
    It has reverse...no need to push :lol3
  13. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The BMW scooter has traction control. Zero does not. These electrics are torque monsters at zero rpm. The web has stories of unexpected drops of Zeros starting off in minimally slick conditions that would not have happened with much more powerful ICE motos or with traction control. +1 BMW.
    Yo Zero! Are you listening?
    Shaolin likes this.
  14. cpallen

Oddometer:
    IMG_3119.JPG My new C Evolution scooter was delivered on Thursday. There are a bunch of reviews on the interwebs already, so this post is just to supplement those with additional details.

As a replacement for my C650GT, I have to say it looks and feels smaller - never ridden a C600/650 Sport though so it could be comparable to that. There are few electrical amenities not related to the drive train other than the OBLIGATORY (yet optional) BMW Heated Grips. No heated seat. No electromagnetic locks on the seat, fuel door (eh, no fuel door at all unless you want to call the left hand fairing pocket where the J1772 charging port lives a fuel door). Fixed windshield position (there is a taller touring windshield available as an accessory). No Tire Pressure monitors either. There is a Hella/BMW euro-style accessory power outlet in the right fairing pocket. The color display is pretty darn cool. There is an 'Expert' setup mode that lets you select to some extent what parameters are displayed - other than that there are the standard 3 BMW trip meters, air temp, a couple of voltmeters, and some additional electrical data (probably consumption related like mpg in a ICE vehicle) which I do not fully understand yet. There is an available range estimate and battery charge level, and a U shaped graph depicting power flow (in and out).

It does have ABS and Torque (traction) Control. The under seat storage is limited to 1 helmet's worth under the pillion seat, hence my addition of the top case. There is a EVSE charge cable that takes up a lot of room too - which is supposed to fit in the right fairing pocket. It would be tight, and fiddly I'm sure - the top case is necessary!

The side stand still sets the parking brakes. It has a REVERSE! I'm roughly 5' 10" w/ 32" inseam and could use a little more leg room. The seat is amazingly comfortable - I'm shocked. SHOCKED!

I have been happy with the range, and the regeneration must be very efficient because each time I have ridden it over the past couple of days, the net reduction in the range estimate has been less than the total miles driven. Going to start logging it for a while but is it possible that the bike can recuperate more distance going down a hill than it expends going up the same hill? Have not yet commuted to work on it (an ~30 mile round trip) a mix of freeway and downtown surface streets. Put it on the charger last night with 50% charge remaining. It estimated 5 hrs to charge. When I woke up this morning it was done, read 100% with and indicated 109 miles range. Have only operated it in Road Mode which provides a really manageable amount of regeneration/braking similar to engine braking and when you do use the brake lever the regeneration graphic in the display increases so there must an interface between braking system and regeneration. You can precisely control the regeneration with the throttle so it's useful not upsetting or drastic as some people have reported.

The power delivery is very smooth and linear. While it accelerates quickly, i don't feel like its anything hard to manage. I would call it useful power for pulling out into traffic, or for lane changes, etc. I haven't ridden on the freeway yet. Riding along in the neighborhood it's virtually silent except a slight servo-electric whine from the drivetrain. Reminds me of sailing.

I think this will complement my GSA quite nicely.
    Shaolin, rs42sport, RCmoto and 4 others like this.
  15. ian408

Oddometer:
    Change your mode from road to dynamic and try the acceleration from there :evil
  16. cpallen

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda easing into it.....
    ian408 likes this.
  17. ian408

Oddometer:
    Everything about the way the Evo works Is nice. Just remember, the more aggressive the mode, the less regen is available.
  18. cpallen

Oddometer:
    I agree - quality fit and finish; runs and rides great - it's got everything it needs to be a great EV and nothing it doesn't.
  19. cpallen

Oddometer:
    @ian408 - I'm guessing you also are a proud owner of a C Evolution? Are they selling well down there in California? I bought mine in Long Beach when I was down there for a business meeting at the end of May and had it shipped up here to Seattle. It might be the only one in Washington State. I took it up to my local dealer today and it was the first one any of them had seen (sales or service). Exciting stuff, I think they would sell well up here. It has so far exceeded my expectations in every way.

Now looking at options for mounting and powering my phone. Popped the center cover off the handlebar shroud and found the standard BMW GPS connector zip tied to the handlebar crossbar just like on the 650.
  20. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^Any idea what the current limit is on the accessory power connector or is it only for the BMW GPS accessories? I'm thinking electric vest, etc.