BMW C Evolution Electric Scooter

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Eddy Alvarez, Jan 12, 2018.

1. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I actually like the low original screen when it's above about 55 degrees, and the touring screen when it's chilly . In fact I could probably live with the tall screen year around. I find with most bikes I have owned with an adjustable screen that I tend to find a sweet spot turbulence-wise, and just leave it there. The solid mounted C Evolution screens don't really create any turbulence so I'm pretty happy with them where they are. If they had to make it adjustable I would be happy with a manual method like on my GSA.
    Shaolin likes this.
  2. cpallen

Oddometer:
  3. cpallen

Oddometer:
  4. Larry295

Larry295 n00b

Oddometer:
    I went on a test ride yesterday. I tried the 18 Zero SR and 18 BMW C evo back to back.
    So sure, the SR feels faster and a little more stable than the C evo. But overall the performance of the C evo was more than adequate, and it felt more sophisticated, and better built/put together than the zero. Overall I liked the BMW better.
    But I have a few questions for people that own the C evo here:

-the brakes: the left lever felt like the main brake (more powerful). Does it act on both front and rear mechanical brakes at the same time?
    The right lever felt less powerful, and also showed some increasing level of regen the harder I squeezed. Does this lever ONLY work on the regen, not actually actuating the disc brakes?

-BMW app. Does the C evo connect to the BMW app, where it shows your level of charge, vehicle location, ride efficiency ect… like the i3 does?

-BMW Navigator VI. Can it be installed as an option? Does it integrate well? where does it mount? Photos?
    Does it offer additional data, like it does when installed on a regular ICE BMW bike?

-Tire Pressure Monitor. Can it be added as an option?

thank you!
  5. cpallen

Oddometer:
    I have owned the C Evolution since last summer and so I tried to answer your questions to the best of my ability. With respect to the brakes - if you do buy the C Evo you'll quickly modify your riding style to incorparate the regen in lieu of using the brakes in most situations. The throttle really becomes the speed control and you'll use the brakes in an emergency (of course) and to hold your position at a stop, but seldom otherwise. It's a heavy bike (606 lbs) so you probably won't be doing any stoppies. The Reverse is one of the bikes best features.

-Brakes:
    The left lever actuates the rear brake and the right lever the front brakes. As far as I know, they are not linked. Regeneration can be triggered by the application of the brakes. Eco Pro and Dynamic automatically apply regeneration as you roll off the throttle; road regenerates only with the application of the brakes, and (as far as I know) there is no regeneration in Sail mode.

-BMW app:
    Nope - the electronics are pretty basic. A new version is due and there has been some talk in Europe that you can no longer order a 2019.

-BMW Navigator VI:
    BMW has a mount that attaches at the center of the handlebar - it's the same parts as used on the C650 Sport/GT. There is the standard BMW GPS power connector under the handlebar cover, and there is no integration with the bike's system.

Does it offer additional data:
    No (see above)

-Tire Pressure Monitor:
    Not OEM BMW but Garmin and some others have marketed add-on systems. The wheel castings allegedly include the TPMS mounting boss.
    Shaolin likes this.
  6. Larry295

Larry295 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this detailed response.
    Quick question though. What do you mean by: "a new version is due and there has been some talk in Europe that you can no longer order a 2019"
    Are you saying 2019 is the last model year before the C evo is updated?
  7. cpallen

Oddometer:
    I personally don't know anything - but - there are a several things going on here that supports that theory
    1. BMW has a new battery cell being used in the i3 that is 120 Ah (up from 94 Ah currently used in the C Evo). So far, the C Evo battery has tracked with the i3 (60 Ah, now 94 Ah).
    2. The new C400X scooter has a user interface that does utilize the BMW Connect application and smartphone/gps integration.
    3. The current C Evo was first marketed in 2014 and a revamp logically could be in the works based on age alone.

The C Evolution is much more popular in Europe and especially France/Paris (search for the 'BMW C Evolution' Face Book group if you do Facebook). The dealers can't keep them in stock so they have to be ordered, with around a 3 month wait. It was there that I read that the dealers have stopped taking orders - speculation is that they are switching to an updated or entirely new model, no one thinks it is being discontinued. If you have read through this thread (or done independent research) you will know these are built in Germany in the same plant that is manufacturing the i3 (not in China/Thailand/India like some of the other BMW motorcycles) and that BMW was considering increasing capacity with a second shift for the C Evolution assembly line. Even if they do come out with a new model it might take a couple of years to show up over here so I wouldn't let that stop you from buying one now. My Washington State dealers don't carry them so I don't know if they are selling the 2017/2018 (green panel) scooters or the 2019 (black panel) elsewhere. Presumably if they are 2018s there are some great incentives (discount and/or financing). I for one would buy another in a heartbeat - it is probably the first bike I have ever bought that entirely exceeds my expectations. I bought mine in California and had it shipped to Seattle.
    Shaolin and Mofrid like this.
  8. Larry295

Larry295 n00b

Oddometer:
    Got it. Yes, I go to Paris all the time being from there originally, and I know the C Evo are big there.
    But I agree with you. The updated C Evo may not be in the cards for US dealers for maybe another 2 years. So we'll have to see if I snap one now, or just wait.
    Thx for the info.
  9. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Good luck with your decision!
  10. cpallen

Oddometer:
  11. johngault

johngault Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Going to start logging it for a while but is it possible that the bike can recuperate more distance going down a hill than it expends going up the same hill?"

ahhh -- no
  12. cpallen

Oddometer:
    :jack
  13. Crilly

Crilly Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If that were true you could ride up and down all day.
  14. cpallen

Oddometer:
    I'll have to try that in a more structured manner.
  15. timblanch

timblanch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Test Rider Impressions and Deliberations

Yesterday i went to Bob's (Jessup, Mary-land) and put 30 miles on the C-Evo. Immediate impression was "this is pretty quick and really really really smooooth." Got it on the highway and the short windscreen was killing me with turbulance and noise so i pulled over and inserted the ear plugs. ahh, much better. but i still could not ride with my c3 pro open, either the chin bar or windshield. probably did 3/4 highway running on the higher end of the indicated top speed of eight six. so hit it pretty good. tried the different modes. dynamic was real quick but regen too strong. road was a great compromise and similar to how i drive my volt in low. toward the latter half of my ride i started noticing the ride was stiff and harsh, even. that didn't go away and left a negative impression on me that balanced out the smooooth powertrain somewhat to the negative for overall comfort. handling seemed great. low speed turning was not as "floppy" as my c650gt so i would rate better. but leg room was less, no electric screen, no heated seat, no passenger floorboards, and half at best of the underseat storage.

overall i liked it and wanted it. but the cost after trade was more than i wanted to pay (~$11k) and finances aren't great for me right now so timing caused me to decline the purchase.

after sleeping on it, i really liked the electric powertrain. it is so smooth especially on the highway compared to the c650gt, which vibrates the floor pretty good and handgrips not quite as much. i am a vibration weenie so this part is just fantastic to me. plus, the linear, immediate, strong, and super controllable acceleration is a real plus. handling was good and sporty. by ride comfort was poor. i think the goodness of the electric powertrain caused the limitations of the scooter chassis to stand out. you are only getting so much bump control with 15" wheels and limited travel and lots and lots of unsprung weight on the rear. all of that i definitely did not like.

i still want it though. my use case is a 40 mile commute one way into downtown washington, d.c. with about 2/3 highway and this thing will lane split lanes like mad so the scooter chassis probably works better overall for commuting. plus i have the level two chargers already at my garage parking space and at home ... and lots of good riding time for the next four or five months ... tim
    Shaolin, Mofrid and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  16. cpallen

Oddometer:
    @timblanch - thanks for a positive review. I have a question - did you check the rear shock preload? It has one of those multi-position ramp collars. Seven settings - slack for single rider, #4 for rider and passenger is what the book suggests. The spanner tool should be in a slot under the seat. I weigh 220lbs and keep it on the first position and would characterize the suspension as taut but not harsh. Also a suggestion - I bought the BMW touring screen and it made a huge difference as far as wind and weather is concerned and I think also slightly increased the range due to improved aerodynamics. I put it on last fall and it's still on. Pictures make it look like a barn door but it's really not - I look over the top of it @ 5'10". It's pricey, but effective. I also bought a top box and luggage grid with mine when new at a substantial discount.

Also - the mirrors fold in for lane splitting. And did you try out the Reverse drive?
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  17. cpallen

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that this has been covered elsewhere in this thread, but the regen in Eco Pro and Dynamic practically eliminates any "coasting" or freewheeling and turns the throttle into more of a rheostatic speed control. It takes a different approach to cornering and slowing/coming to a stop in traffic than an ICE bike and can be really noticeable and obtrusive if you are in the habit of chopping the throttle for any reason, including pulling in the clutch to coast. Roll on, or off the throttle to set your corner entry speed or when anticipating a traffic stop . I rarely use the brakes except to hold my position at a stop - in fact I would love to have BMW's big bike "hill hold" feature on the scooter.
  18. timblanch

timblanch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cp, i just asked the salesman to check the rear spring preload position. i'm also 5"-10" tall and 195, so no lightweight. interesting you keep it on position one. question - do you feel the ride is acceptable after almost a year of ownership?

if i bought it, i would have to get the tall screen right away and add a top trunk. i have a 47 liter givi on my 650gt that i would transfer but would need a new support bracket (luggage grid? haven't heard that term) on the positive, the lesser leg room compared to my c650gt didn't seem to matter much.

i don't know. i really liked it. but it's a pile of money. at 52 i'm better at resisting temptation, but not so good to walk away easily. maybe worse than just getting the darn thing and dealing with it. i guess us MC addicts could write books on our purchasing struggles ... but we couldn't stand to read about them so i should shut up. i will say my volt is my favorite car ever by far. i just love the electric experience. so smooth. so quiet. so easy to maintain (nothing). so easy to charge. they really last. my volt has 107,000 miles with zero battery degradation. tim
    Mofrid and Shaolin like this.
  19. timblanch

timblanch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cp - so the salesman checks into it and finds out the CEvo was set to position 7, max, at the request of the previous test rider for him and his wife, and they wasn't little people. so wow, maybe that's my answer. interesting how in life if you live by reasons, not emotion, you can get surprised by how many things you can figure out. oh, and talk to smart people. thanks, tim
  20. cpallen

Oddometer:
    IMG_0589.jpg
    Good lord no wonder you felt like you were driving a logging truck. That little faux pas also probably affected the operation of the front suspension and the steering geometry not to mention the seat height. That salesman should be beaten about the head and shoulders. I think you need to take it on another test ride. Better bring your air gauge and check the tires before you take off they might be running 50 psi.

I'm not a givi expert but the luggage grid (rack) for the C Evo is the same as for the BMW C650 Sport and this is what revzilla says you need to mount the box:
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-sr5121-top-case-rack-bmw-c650-sport-2016-2017. There is a different part specified for the C650GT: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-sra5106-aluminum-top-case-rack-bmw-c650-gt-2012-2019.

I think you can modify the lock on those to fit the bike's ignition key.

The BMW top box is much smaller (28 liter) and requires it's own rack.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.