BMW C Evolution Electric Scooter

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Eddy Alvarez, Jan 12, 2018.

1. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @timblanch - after a year of ownership I would most certainly buy it again. The ride is more than acceptable as is everything else about the bike. The only thing it's missing IMHO is tire pressure monitoring. The other stuff - heated seat, power windscreen adjustment, even self-cancelling turnsignals - I can easily live without.
  2. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally got to test ride one here in Albuquerque. I could probably go this route, although I think this was my first actual scooter experience. The main hold up is price. Here, they want more for a demo 2018 than the 2019 msrp, but they throw in the official BMW top box ($1000).
  3. cpallen

Oddometer:
    You should be able to get at least $1500 off a 2018 C Evolution
  4. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw one on cycletrader in San Diego priced in my range, but no time just now for that trip.
  5. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Show those ads to your dealer - else you should be able to get one shipped from CA to NM for $400
  6. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Well I should have post 1 week ago but I meet up with Cpallen and he show me his evolution . It s a neat ride and after sitting on it and hearing about I would buy one sooner or latter . It all depends on my cash. Thank for meeting me . I had a couple picture to upload of him and his ride but I can find them. Again thanks for showing me you ride.
    Mofrid and cpallen like this.
  7. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just came in 2 days ago. Was very excited about the bike.

Attached Files:

8. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The big brother K1600GTL will be having an extended garage stay for a while.

Attached Files:

9. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went for its maiden voyage yesterday as I got a plate and registration. Enjoying the relaxing ride.

Attached Files:

kpinvt and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  10. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sucking up the juice at work today. Great way to start the day.

Attached Files:

cpallen and Mofrid like this.
  11. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-7-11_0-56-6.jpeg

upload_2019-7-11_0-56-29.jpeg
    kpinvt and cpallen like this.
  12. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did you get that in BC?
  13. cpallen

Oddometer:
    That’s a picture of me and mine in Seattle, WA taken a few months ago.
  14. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    Yes it is cpallen down in Seatle . He was nice enough to meet up and show me his scooter . As for getting one in bc after talking to ICBC and also phoning the guy in charge of importing motorcycle it can be done. All BMW are allowed to be imported into canada according . Unlike Zero motorcycle that are rate classed as under 400 cc the BMW fall into the rate class of 400 to 750 which is 80 bucks a month without fire etc included. Guess I m saying at least in BC you could import one if you ve got the 14 grand they cost . Cpallen says there a company that he used that will transport a bike / scooter for 400 bucks from anywhere in usa to wa if I remember right. Hay Cpallen could you send me the company info . It would be good to have on hand.
    Bolzen likes this.
  15. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rat bastard! Good thing it’s too hot for comfortable riding otherwise my odometer would have read about 1200 instead of 800 miles. Trying the Shinko rear tire. Will update on how that fares.

Attached Files:

16. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Did you try plugging it?
  17. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shinko rear tire update: So I have about 4500 miles on the bike now and about 3700 miles on the Shinko rear tire. So far it is holding up quite well. I weigh about 200 pounds and mostly solo riding (99.9%). I have not put many interstate miles at speeds over 65 mph. Maybe a 50/50 split between Dynamic and Road modes. Minimal rain riding but maybe 10% of riding time on wet roads. I haven't had an occasion to say that the Shinkos were not as good as the Metzelers. High praise for a $56 tire (Metzeler was about $150). It has not misbehaved at all. Once, I managed to be reined in by torque control assist when I took off for a green light and there was some oil or antifreeze on the road. Other than that, been happy with it. I'd buy it again instead of trying to patch or plug the Metzeler. Happy riding!
  18. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did. One hole was a success but the other one would keep leaking. I was applying rubber cement from the plug kit too and used a second plug cord with glue and it still leaked. I took off the wheel and redid the leaking plug with new ones and it still leaked. That's when I decided to replace it.
  19. ctromley

ctromley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of armchair "experts" who love to dump on Shinko tires, but in fact they are probably the best bang-for-buck tires on the market today. Shinko is a Japanese company who bought Yokohama's motorcycle tire line. They do their design work in Japan and manufacture in S. Korea to keep costs down.

When my commuter Ninja 250 needed tires I wrote Motorcyclist magazine because they had just reported on the new Yamaha R3 and liked the Michelin tires on it, but there was a question regarding radial vs. bias ply. Got a response back asking if I'd like to test some new Shinkos, the newly-released 880/881s for little sport bikes. This was when 250 - 300 cc sport bikes were getting popular, and tire choices were getting better. I thought sure, why not?

I was impressed from the outset. I kept in touch with Ari, to keep him up to date. I finally told him I really couldn't give him a complete report because the only feedback I was getting on the street was stick-stick-stick. There was even a time when I was caught in a downpour and someone did something really stupid in front of me, causing me to grab WAY more brake than I wanted to. My Ninjette doesn't have ABS, but it does have HH pads and braided stainless lines, giving it exceptional braking feel. I was ready to stand it on its nose and let up when the front slid, but it never happened. I was stunned.

Apparently that was enough to convince Ari he needed to do a track comparison test. He got together all the hot tires at the time. They were, in finishing order from last to first, the Michelin Pilot radials (radial version of the bias Pilots on the R3), IRC Road Winners (that came stock on my Ninjette), Pirelli Diablo Rosso II radials, Shinko 880/881 radials and the Bridgestone S20 Evo radials. The standout characteristic of the Shinkos was their incredible grip. You can see the test here:

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/...on-track-tire-test-ktm-rc390-mc-garage-video/

Not bad for a 'cheap-ass Korean tire' (or other such epithets hurled by those armchair "experts") that cost some $60 less for the pair than the competition. I've read similar expressions of surprise and admiration about Shinko ADV tires. I didn't get to compare total mileage, but the 880/881s looked on track to be comparable to the 13k miles I got from my original Road Winners.

Don't worry about the Shinko rear. It'll be fine. It could easily be a better tire than the Metzeler it replaced. The Shinkos I got were much better than the Michelins I was considering.
    kpinvt and Shaolin like this.
  20. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    Did you also try using a car type tire patch . There almost the same thing a bikecycle tire patch but bigger.