1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW C Evolution Electric Scooter

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Eddy Alvarez, Jan 12, 2018.

1. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the great majority of cases, this stuff tends to last essentially forever, or if it fails it fails early on. This is certainly true of low-voltage logic circuits. The power stage less so, but that stuff is generally repairable so big costs are less of an issue.

Remember when fuel injection was new, and everyone was terrified of the huge cost of replacing the FI computer? That was a new technology and there were (a few) failures. How often do you hear about an ECU failing now? The high power chargers and controllers on EVs are not new tech, that stuff has been around in the industrial sector for decades.

Not only that, I believe the charger and controller electronics are considered part of the vehicle's power train, and subject to mandated warranty coverage like any emissions-related component on an ICE.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  2. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'd have to look, but there are no emissions and therefore no warranty beyond the 3/36. At least, not for emission control. Most warranties cover 3 years and say 36,000 miles. The emissions warranty is 5 years but only 15-18k miles and it only covers something directly related to the emissions system.

If you live in California, things are different.
  3. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sorry for the brain fade there. The emissions-related stuff applies to cars. I wasn't aware that CA had a special carve-out for that. Either other states have similar requirements, or manufacturers apply their CA warranties elsewhere, because I've seen the same approach done outside CA.
  4. ian408

Oddometer:
    I do think some states may have additional requirements but I'd imagine most of the standard warranty stuff is the same.

I honestly had to look as the C-Evo has had so few issues-really been pretty solid.
  5. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The charger board (ILM?) seems to be about the only major problem reported, at least on the face book group. It's one reason I try to avoid 220V charging.
  6. ian408

Oddometer:
    I’ve only ever seen one fail.
  7. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Join the Facebook Group 'BMW C Evolution'. Mostly European (there are after all how many US owners here on this thread - maybe 5 or 6?) and of them the French seem to have the majority. I have read about at least a half dozen incidents. Sometimes it's just the fan not running but other times charging quits after a couple of minutes. I haven't had any problems with mine other than I have to go back to the dealer and have them reset the maintenance reminder.
  8. ian408

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Europe has had them much longer plus, I think the scooter stigma is the reason they haven’t caught on.
  9. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look what just came in from Shad.I ordered the C Evolution top mount and the SH45 top case (45 liter capacity). Shad had a 20% discount during the Christmas holidays. Top case was $193 and the mount was $127 minus a discount of $64 plus $22 shipping for a total of $278. IMG_3264.JPG
  10. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had to run to Harbor Freight to get a T40 Torx so I can take off the stock passenger grab bar.
    IMG_3268.JPG
  12. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is the Shad top mount loosely installed.
    IMG_3269.JPG
  13. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The top case itself comes with this mounting plate that attaches to the top mount. I used 4 machine screws with nyloc nuts so I didn't have to use lock washers. They also provided these red thingees to hold the screws.
    IMG_3272.JPG IMG_3275.JPG
  15. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They provided 2 plates to cover the screws. I had to use a heat gun to warm up these plates so I could bend them and snap them in place.
    IMG_3276.JPG
  16. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And now the top case itself easily mounts on this plate. I can open/close the topcase without having to use the key because it can be left unlocked. I can easily remove the topcase from the bike too. I verified that it can fit my XL Shoei full face helmet with no problem.
    IMG_3278.JPG IMG_3279.JPG

Attached Files:

17. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The topcase seems to be pretty securely mounted. One shortcoming of the topcase is that the "reflective" section doesn't seem to be very reflective at all. Minus the trip to buy the tools, it took me less than an hour to install this. It was a very easy job to do.
    cpallen and Ditch like this.
  18. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Looks great and I like your attention to details (like using the nylock nuts and heating the trim covers rather than just using brute force). Your total package is not much more than the cost of the BMW luggage grid by itself! Now figure out a way to light it up! They have this for the mounting plate: https://www.shadusa.com/collections/sh45/products/d0b40kl
    Shaolin likes this.
  19. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    3rd owner of Juicebox 40 and love the wifi control. During winter, keep battery warmer by setting the amps to fill battery using time available, 10pm-6am. No need to blast full 40A at it, unless in a rush to recharge.
    I think there's a temperature reading too but wish an upper limit could be set for notice; box tells you it's 300F, better investigate before fire starts.
    Shaolin likes this.
  20. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife works for JuiceBox, lol.