1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW C Evolution Electric Scooter

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Eddy Alvarez, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Winter ride must have: Oxford handlebar muffs. Got these for $20 from Scooterville in MN. Installed in about 5 minutes first time around and in 2 minutes next time. Went out in 43 F with grip heater in low. Wore windproof leather gloves with no insulation. Very comfortable! Also tried in uninsulated perforated gloves and it was fine too.

Attached Files:

cpallen likes this.
  2. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shinko rear tire with over 6000 miles. I would conservatively say it would last me 10000 but I wouldn’t be surprised if I get 16000 miles out of it. I’ll give updates if I remember.

Attached Files:

cpallen and ian408 like this.
  3. Redoubt

Redoubt DEBT FREE

Oddometer:
    C Evolution owners, would you own your scooters long term and out of the BMW warranty?
  4. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I would. Mine may even be out of warranty now I should check.
    Redoubt and woodsrider-boyd like this.
  5. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would too. I started off with the BMW Active E, the precursor to the i3. Then the i3 (BEV pure electric) from which the C Evo's powertrain came from (with adaptations). Did 54k miles on AE, about 80k on the i3 and just south of 7k on the CEvo. Utterly familiar with BMW electric drive characteristics. Build quality is fantastic. BMW tried to make a showcase statement with these things and the engineering is top notch. Had a charging issue with my scooter but I have never been stranded by them. Performance feels slightly better than Zero S, has amenities like reverse, heated grips, daytime running light, side stand brake activation, built in Level 2 charging port, battery and charging thermal management, ABS, self-cancelling turn signals, 100 mile range (+ or -10) and pretty decent weather protection. Misses include no phone connectivity, front brake is weak (despite being dual disc), could use a taller windscreen (still better than no windscreen), headlight is weak and brake light does not activate when using regen braking. In my opinion, it offers the most bike for the money which is why I didn't go with a Zero. Plus I have a Hayabusa kill story with my C Evo scooter. LOL!
  6. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thermal management of the C Evo is probably going to maintain the longevity of the battery with minimal capacity degradation. There is a radiator up front and a cooling tunnel underneath. It is common for Nissan Leafs to lose range over time because their batteries do not have thermal management.
  7. cpallen

Oddometer:
    You forgot to mention the all-important traction control!
    Shaolin likes this.
  8. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amen. Usually, only the more expensive bikes like the SR/F and Livewire have these. Traction control has kept me upright a few times already. I've learned of a few crashes due to the lack of this feature on the lesser Zeros.
    cpallen likes this.
  9. cpallen

Oddometer:
    I'll bet it was also instrumental in your 'Busa kill!
  10. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Just saw an ok deal on 2017 with 11385 miles on it . 7 grand asking price but the new old stock ones are 9 grand . I wonder what if got if 6.500 out the door would be a good price consider everything including the age. I don't know if the person keep good care of it or not . What do you guys think ? shipping it going to be 500 bucks or so .
  11. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Not much in the way of required maintenance to defer so I would look at it cosmetically to determine if it had been cared for (or not). See if the dealer can audit the traction battery condition, and run a service history report.

Ask about warranty situation too, either original or extended. Are there any options such as a luggage grid, top box, gps mount?
  12. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Please note that a single dealer running a "service history" report will not turn up anything more than warranty related claims.

What they can do from that report is see who might have serviced the vehicle and call them to see if the vehicle service was carried out.
  13. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    From what little I know from one email since the dealership hasn't got it yet it's a lemon law buy back due to fried Charger unit . They bought it at BMW Dealer auction . Back story is 90 days plus to get the stuff need to repair it and the state that it came from lemon law state if it cant be repair in 45 days ? they have to buy it back. BMW USA bought , Repaired it and auction it off. I m guessing the dealership spent 2 to 4 grand max on it . We ll see what is what when they finely get it . I m guessing whom ever bid on it at the dealership saw pictures but the guy whom email me didn't have much info . He did let the fact that it was Dealership Auction drop which means There a better chance to get a deal .
    The fact the charging system fried it's self on a 2017 seem to be something I read about happening a few at some fast charging stations . Depending on how long the usa border stays closed if I ll do anything about it . 5 grand US or so Is were I think this should be at price wise . The next 8 Months are going to be a bloodbath for dealerships . People with the cash will be able to get deals that they never would before I feel. I ll ask for the service history report once they have it at the dealership. Last thing I want to to buy a peace of shit .
    I think myself due to the number prediction in BC canada with in 1 month 54 000 cases of Virus . I not see the border opening for normal travel for 3 to 5 months . wa state seem to be on the way to being far worse then us since people are being just as dumb . Stay away from each other.
  14. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Good luck and try to stay healthy! The C Evo has overall been very reliable and the charging issues not much different than on the I3, which was subsequently derated in software. Mine remains trouble free but still has never been charged at a public station.
  15. Redoubt

Redoubt DEBT FREE

Oddometer:
    There's a c evolution on cycle trader listed as a buy back under the lemon law and no warranty. Any ideas what issues it might have had or what could possibly go wrong?
  16. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Who knows - depending upon location and availability of local support just about any problem in the high voltage traction system might take too long to fix. The rules vary from state to state. You should just call them and see what they have to say about it. I found it and looked at the photos - looks to be in great shape for a bike with almost 12K miles on it. I'll bet the charger (ILM) went out a couple of times which seems to happen mostly to folks using high current chargers vs the slow 120v-16A device that comes with it. I3's had a similar issue that resulted in BMW reducing the max current and the development of an update charge controller. I don't know that either of these actions were taken on the C Evolution.
  17. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    Yep I was told by sale guy the whole charging system was fried and then that was replaced . No warranty , No nothing at all what you see is what you get . Take you chances that the battery is still good etc. That there is no other gremlins hiding . I , myself would rather spend the the extra 1500 to 2500 for one that still has warranty . There at least 4 or 5 like that listed. The other issue is if you go to resell it it's worth less due that the title having lemon law stamp or what ever it's called on it . In the end if anything is wrong with this one you could be out of pocket hell of lot of cash to fix it . Add in you may have to wait 1 to 3 month for major parts to be ship for those repairs.
    Redoubt likes this.
  18. Redoubt

Redoubt DEBT FREE

Oddometer:
    Thanks for checking. What would fry the whole charging system?
  19. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an exaggeration. Probably the ILM board.
  20. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    94229400_10216493022174451_3286592129761017856_n.jpg Antisocial riders club. Take out Thai food lunch.

As it is warming up. I took off the Oxford handlebar muffs. Flying insects are starting to get squished on my helmet visor because the low windshield directs them up and also does not protect me from the face-height flyers. I ordered a tall windscreen from Puig without the side wings from EBay. I hope I get an increase in the range because of aerodynamic advantage. I expect to end up looking through it which I'm ambivalent about but more worried about the decrease in cooling airflow. I don't think I'll receive it for another month. Vendor was from Italy. I figured I better get it before the supply of these tall windscreens dry up.

Speaking of bugs on helmet visors, I sprayed my new replacement visor with Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating. I've used a variety of products on my old visor (waxes, RainX, etc) with varying degrees of success. This is the first time I've seen an insect get stuck to my visor then get blown off when I turn my head to the side. It doesn't always happen but at least the bigger bugs fly off. Also, the visor is much easier to clean. I also used this on my wheels and it seems to stay clean longer. Very shiny on the bike too. I haven't tried it in the rain so I'll chime in again if it performs.

I also took a peek at what front tires are available for the C Evolution. I saw that Shinko has a tire for $45. The original front tire is approaching the wear marks at 8600 miles. The rear Shinko tire replaced the original Metzeler and has 7800 miles on it and it still has a lot of tread. I can see it going over 12,000 miles. I also looked at the brand name tires and they were 3X the price. Yikes!

Stay safe and hope you all get to ride soon.
    cpallen likes this.