1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW C Evolution Electric Scooter

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Eddy Alvarez, Jan 12, 2018.

1. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Very well could be true all I can go by is what the sale guy told me 4 weeks ago . Could be good or not . it's just matter of risking cash . When it leave the dealership and if anything goes wrong within a month eg you be paying for the repairs vs buying one with 6 months to 1 year of warranty . Apples vs Pears . What fried the charging system It could be what cpallen said happen or something at home . All I can go by is what the sale guy emailed me . if your in Oahu Hawaii I m guessing getting one ship there cost a fair bit of Cash . All in all there is New or Nealy new demo models still out there with warranty . Hawaii seem like the perfect place for this scooter .
    cpallen likes this.
  2. Redoubt

Redoubt DEBT FREE

Oddometer:
    Yes and no. Hawaii is great for riding a scooter. I ride my pcx more than my Vstrom. However the cost of electricity here is the highest state in the nation. EV cars here don't make sense. It costs more to charge than to fill up with gasoline, even though gasoline is a rip off here.

Eventually I will move back home to the mainland and I want to go off the grid, charging my vehicles off solar. That's the main reason I'm looking at EV.
  3. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On Sunday, my bike was dead. Full main battery but I turned the key and the screen was blank. I pulled off the panels by the battery and measured 7 volts on the 12v battery. My Battery Tender kit had a spare set of leads so I installed them on the battery and hooked up the charger. Slowly, the voltage crept up to 14.4v. Took about a day before the charger light turned green. Took a 40 mile test ride And set the display to show voltage. Stayed between 14.2-14.3. I also checked the manual and it did say to charge the 12v battery. So far so good.
  4. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Be aware that if the battery is too low, a trickle charger can't charge it. 7 volts is pretty low I think you were lucky in addition to being very patient. How long did the bike sit? Do you have anything like a USB charger plugged in to the auxillary outlet?
  5. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It sat for a couple of days. Apparently a common issue with C Evolutions because someone else reported the same exact problem on the FB group. Scratching my head. Only thing that was showing on when the bike came back alive was heated grips on low setting. Anyway, Telmo from Portugal said it was common. I had looked it up in the manual and it exactly said to charge the 12v battery. At least it's a doable fix if i had to replace that battery. Just didn't want any surprises while away from home on the bike.
  6. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe your battery is on its way out. I am still on my original but haven’t been riding it much since moving away from Seattle. There has not been any occasion where the battery has run down to the point where the computer hasn’t been able to fire up, which then lets the traction battery charge the 12v battery. It has sat for at least three weeks. I have a battery tender lead installed and so I have charged it in a rotation with my other rec vehicles. I read somewhere letting an AGM battery to go below about 8v can permanently damage it. A good quality charger compatible with AGM technology will also run some maintenance routines so there is some value to occasionally leaving it connected for a few days.
    Shaolin likes this.
  7. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update on battery issue: no issues after using a Battery Tender Jr to recharge the 12v battery. I've been watching the TFT display that shows the voltage (been hovering around 14 to 14.3v when riding). I hooked up a wiring with ring terminals at the battery end and the SAE end coming out by the front forks for easy hookup.
  8. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the Puig V Tech Touring windscreen from eBay. Been getting annoyed by the constant barrage of bugs hitting my helmet visor and the wind noise. When the box arrived, I was surprised at the almost 4 foot piece of acrylic inside. Well, after about 300 miles, the windscreen is definitely quiet. So quiet that I could listen to a violin concerto on my Sena headset. I could turn down the volume on rock music because of the much lower noise floor. I hate that I have to look through the screen but I've adopted. I also don't like the reduction in airflow hitting the body as far as cooling goes. Absolutely no bug deaths on my visor. I increased the bike's range by about 10-12 miles. It cuts through the wind much better at higher speeds but the windscreen doesn't seem to help efficiency at lower speeds. I feel no wind pressure on my shoulders, chest and helmet. I used to get wind pressure on those areas with the stock windscreen. I have not installed the included hand deflectors. IMG_3849.JPG
    MJSfoto1956 and cpallen like this.
  9. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't see this scooter on BMW's USA site, is it no longer available ?
  10. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    It's out there about 10 or so NEW olds stock still for sale on cycletrader . Asking prices are 8500 to 14 000 grand . Some are just finally being pulled out of crates and put up for sale. From my understanding you re looking at somewhere between 200 to 500 or so brought into the states by BMW . You find there common and I think still up on BMW europe website . Far common over there then here. I could be wrong about the numbers but it was only sold for 2 year in CA and few other states .
  11. Macgreiner

Macgreiner n00b

Oddometer:
    That is my question too.
    I know there are some 2018s still new around, but the question remains: Is there not going to be a 2020 C Ev model for the US market?
  12. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    Pre pandemic That very well could have happened. Pandemic with 35% down turn 100% crap shot . I cant speak to motorcycle but with cars New sales are going to be SOL . With hertz dumping 200 000 used cars on the market in the next 10 months or less , sale well be way down. I said that with motorcycle being mostly toys to 60% of people rather then daily needed transport would you as a company try to sell new higher price bikes here or stay in Europe and Asia where you can make 10 time the money due to volume sales ? I love to see 2020 E ev but no holding me breath . I had gone back to work just to save up the money to buy a 2017 or 18 and import it to canada . pandemic toasted that plan out the door .
  13. Goomicoo

Goomicoo Rubber Cow

Oddometer:
    I tried one of these and I couldn't get used to the handling. It just felt weird. Is it me or the scooter?
  14. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    It depends if you riding scooters all often or not. It's different type of riding on scooters mostly . No shifting etc . Could be just not use to it . It's like any bike if you ride it for a week or 2 you get use to how it handles. Then again it could be you . You size , weight etc all factor into it .
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  15. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The handling is different because its 600 pounds and most of it is carried very low and has 15" wheels. Flickable bikes sometimes are top heavy. This one is stable (It's almost as long as my K1600 GTL). It changes directions very well but is not squirelly. The suspension is not as supple either. It's a scooter so you have no tank to brace yourself against. Also, there is no frame per se. The battery casings are robust aluminum and the steering head and the motor and swingarm are attached to the casings.
    fullmetalscooter likes this.