BMW C Evolution Electric Scooter

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Eddy Alvarez, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Daemon666

Daemon666 n00b

Oddometer:
  2. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ian408 likes this.
  3. timblanch

timblanch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2018 C Evo list $14,640.00
    rebate $(2,000.00)
    price $12,640.00
    6% tax $878.40
    prep. $400.00
    tags,reg. $200.00
    subtotal $14,118.40
    kbb trade 2016 650 GT $(5,240.00)
    net cash $8,878.40

i think i'm going to pass on getting the C-Evo. i paid about $9,300 for the 650 GT two years ago (it had a $3k rebate.)

the 650 GT is a great commuter. i'm going to wait on the market some more before i take the electric bike plunge. tim
    Mofrid likes this.
  4. cpallen

Oddometer:
    The 2016 GT had multiple improvements over the previous model years so it is a great scooter/commuter. I betcha we will see the BMW Connect Drive dash and at least 120ah (up from 94ah) battery cells, and maybe fast DC charging (all from the i3 line) in 2020 so waiting is not a bad idea. I loved my GT and regretted selling it, which is what motivated me to look for a replacement - leading to the C Evo purchase. You are in a good place! Keep in touch with us here and ride safe!
    Mofrid likes this.
  5. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That Evo ought to get Zero batteries. So far everyone has not been doing right things, and so the cobbler won't stick to his last.
  6. cpallen

Oddometer:
    IDK that the Zero batteries are any better than the Samsung cells used in the C Evo and I3. Quality and reliability is the key here - not necessarily speed or range, and BMW is wisely leveraging it's development and tooling investments by standardizing the components between the two products. BMW has sold more the 133,000 i3 so far.
  7. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, car sales vs motorcycle sales is hardly relevant. Ain't many recalls or reported failures for Zero batteries AFAIK. But they do go father.
  8. cpallen

Oddometer:
    In the case of the C Evo, I think it is relevant because of the common parts in the batteries and electronics. Granted the Zeros do go farther if you need them to - just pony up the additional money for a 14.4, Charge Tank, etc. 100 miles/day has been more than enough for me - I have yet to have to charge away from home. Level 2 Charging at 3.6 Kw is included in the base price.

Don't get me wrong - I like the Zero and wouldn't mind owning one. It's like Goldilocks and the three bears - the C Evo is just right for me!
    voltsxamps likes this.
  9. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol, don't get me wrong too -- i like Evo and wouldn't mind switching to it if only it had exactly 100 miles range but at 90 mph and some mountain passes. I'm not up to Zero because it's not a motorcycle company -- i trust and like its batteries but not the bikes. :bmwrider
  10. cpallen

Oddometer:
    That's why it's nice to be able to keep an ICE bike for the longer journey. Just about nothing is more annoying than burning up the knobbies commuting and going to the grocery store. It'll be awhile before we have a motorcycle equivalent of the Tesla.
  11. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I think this year's Evo has a better battery option-not 100% sure as I haven't looked yet.
  12. cpallen

Oddometer:
    The i3 got a 30% or so bump to 120 a/h from 94 (which is what is in the Evo). Hopefully next year!
  13. Crilly

Crilly Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the bump on the I 3 was a bigger battery. No room on the c-evolution. This is the reason I have a zero sr 14.4 with power pack on order. Over night charging is ok for me with over 120 mile range. If the sr-f is a lot better I may never ride the sr. The SR is due in the end of February. 6 weeks to ship.
  14. cpallen

Oddometer:
    I read it was just a higher capacity cell - packs are the same size. But I don't know that for a fact.
    https://www.electrive.com/2018/09/28/new-120-ah-battery-cells-bmw-boosts-i3-and-i3s-range/

"Additionally, all new customers who have purchased an i3 recently will receive the battery upgrade for any vehicle that is produced after the first of November. Three phase charging is now also included serially, as well as DC charging. When prompted whether customers would be able to upgrade their existing battery packs, a BMW spokesperson declined, stating that the global demand hat not been sufficient to launch a line of replacement batteries."
  15. timblanch

timblanch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    court, i went to bob's bmw saturday to check out the C Evo. it seemed narrower than my 650GT at the floor boards when i put my feet down. it also felt lighter just sitting on it and leaning it left and right some. big but not quite the massive feeling as the 650GT.

then i realized Maryland has a tax credit for electric motorcycles - $100 per kWh. i think the C Evo is around 12 kWh so that would knock $1,200 off the price although delayed a year. it would get the net cash difference to about $7,200.

then i started thinking (and this is where the trouble starts) ... i have some $ squirreled away ... what else am i going to do with it? ... i'd really really enjoy this thing ... i love electrics ... i hate vibration ... i have level 2 charging already in my home and work garages ... julie will love the reverse and be able to use it ... court fixed the wind problem with a tall screen ... the luggage will transfer ... it really will cost almost nothing to use (tires ...) i'm saving the planet ... okay i won't go that far ... but it's all making sense to me now ...

i'm falling ... tim
  16. Crilly

Oddometer:
    If the 70 to 80 mile range works for you, go for it.
  17. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ Has been a long time advice.
  18. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Hi Tim, can't argue with you on any of that. A visit to check out a new bike at the BMW dealer frequently does not end well with me either - I'm currently arguing with myself about how bad an idea it is to trade my GSA for a R9T Urban G/S. Who knows how that will turn out. @Crilly, a 70-80 mile range is predicated on highway miles - I think with a good mix of city driving 100 miles is possible. I can document having gone more than 60 miles with an estimated residual of 37%/ 35 miles left. So truly YMMV depending upon the nature of your use. There may also be a federal tax credit extended for this year, and you might be able to deduct the sales taxes.

mileage screen.jpg
  19. Crilly

Oddometer:
    I am talking 30 to 65 miles an hour, average 45. 25 mph we’ll get you 100.
  20. timblanch

timblanch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes, it does. my commute is 40 miles each way, two-thirds highway and one-third city. level 2 chargers already installed at both ends for my volt and commuting is 95%+ of my riding. i have an ice bike for longer rides.

would i like more range? sure, the upcoming 120 Ah would be great vs. the 94 Ah, but not really necessary for my use. should i wait? ... maybe, but i don't want to ...