BMW C400X / C400GT

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. MarcMalano

MarcMalano n00b

Oddometer:
    So it might not be as bad as it sounded then. I was worried about coasting up to traffic lights and having it frequently stall on me, potentially putting me in a dangerous (or at least more stressful situation) with so many distracted drivers these days. Unlike a motorcycle that can just pull in the clutch and restart on a roll, scooters have to apply the brake first and it might not always be easy to pull off out of the way of traffic to restart. I assumed these would be better engineered/supported for the premium price paid. My Chinese scoot only stalled once when I had to do a quick stop and the CVT transmission probably didn't have time to disengage. However the BMW does check off more boxes for me than any other based on the limited options available in the U.S. market.
  2. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. I actually joined to post in this thread exclusively.
    I have C400GT in Phuket, Thailand and was having the issue with stalling when jumping off the gas and letting it roll.
    BMW is no help so I took the CVT transmission apart myself to take a look what going on. Lots of clutch shoe dust like I've never seen before. Only 400kms use looked like 10,000kms use on my Xmax.
    The reason it's stalling is the clutch shoes are not disengaging fast enough or it gets stuck momentarily causing the stall.
    I suspect the clutch springs are too soft and needs some more tension to pull the clutch back.
    I reached out to Malossi and they have some belts and stuff coming for the C400 series very soon, much like they did with the C650 series.

So be aware it's not a software issue, it's the clutch itself not disengaging fully which could be all the dust getting among the springs.
  3. MarcMalano

MarcMalano n00b

Oddometer:
    This information is really helpful...Thanks!
  4. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 n00b

Oddometer:
    No problem.
    I just want to explain my findings.
    I been tinkering with scooters and modifications for 15 years so I wanted to sort the issue out as BMW has no clue why it's occasionally stalling.

Once I took the transmission cover off I put the scooter on the centre stand. I started to rev the scooter and watched the behaviour of the belt and clutch.
    You could see it chattering and bouncing the belt after I backed off the gas. Not every time but I did it enough times that I could see this happening followed by the stall.

Maybe if I beat on it for a few thousand more kilometres it might stop as the clutch beds/wears in..

All I can gather is that the clutch doesn't disengage smoothly at times.
    I think it's the clutch springs getting dusted up and getting dust build up in-between the springs.
    I've never seen that much dust off a CVT clutch before.

Once Malossi releases some clutch components for this model I'll be getting them.
    Red springs might do the trick.

I'll check back in soon.
    MarcMalano likes this.
  5. zmanH2

zmanH2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi mickfitz76!

I see that you are in Thailand where there's a tons of accessories/bling stuff for scooters and motorcycles alike.

Have you seen any good ones for the C400? Any websites you can suggest? :D
  6. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 n00b

Oddometer:
    There isn't much out at all right now.
    Malossi will have stuff out by new year for the CVT and fuel controllers.
    I have been in contact with Ohlins here in Thailand and they might have something existing that will fit but they don't have plans right now to go mass production for suspension for this scoot.
    I'll measure up the rear shocks and see what I can find that's universal fitment.

As soon as cool stuff drops. I'll be back.
    CanineCombatives likes this.
  7. greg531

greg531 greg531

Oddometer:
    I was having the opposite problem on my Aprilia Scarabeo 200, I was having too much clutch slip....I finally replaced it with a Malossi clutch, and it solved my problem....maybe you can fine some springs that will fit, and see if stiffer ones will help with the clutch gripping too soon...Be careful, those clutch springs, when installing them, could put an eye out, when they fly. I found that a spring tool, with a hooked end, is the best to use, when you install them....It's a Kymco engine, someone should be making aftermarket ones.....
    mickfitz76 likes this.
  8. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does your BMW topcase mount direct to the rack or does it mount to a mounting plate mounted to the rack?

Will you be able to post pictures of the bottom of the top case if it mounts directly to the rack?

Thank you!
  9. JimInOz

JimInOz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hope I'm not butting in.

On mine (29 Litre) the case is paired with a plastic mounting plate held to the alloy rack with four machine screws/lock nuts.

I'll post pics in the morning (It's 9:15 PM here ATM).
  10. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:

Jim,

Do you have the BMW topcase?

If yes, please post the photos.

Thank you!!!
  11. JimInOz

JimInOz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, my case is OEM 29 litre. Fitting takes about five minutes. Tools needed: 10mm socket wrench, 5mm hex key.

Just click on the pics for a full size view.

Here's all the bits.

P1030403.JPG

And the BMW alloy rack fitted.

P1030404.JPG

The four anti crush collars.

P1030405.JPG

Adapter plate fitted.

P1030406.JPG

View from below.

P1030407.JPG

How the top case attaches.

P1030408.JPG

And we're all done.

P1030409.JPG
    byee and The Virginian like this.
  12. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you!

The photos were extremely helpful!

It will help me to decide my decision on a OEM rack or third party rack such as Givi, Kappa or Shad.
  13. Soaime

Soaime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, i bought the full spec c400x and i'm really happy.
    I've done 220km on it mostly in the city and a little bit around with my wife as a pillion; can truly say i chose the right scooter between the C400x, xmax400, tmax and c650 sport
    I love it :)
    p.s. no stalling issues as of now

Attached Files:

Kmart likes this.
  14. zmanH2

zmanH2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Soaime Congrats! Welcome to the Beemer fold :clap
  15. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:

I’ve got the GT version and still enjoy riding as if was my first time after 5000+ kms.

Great choice!
    Chillis likes this.
  16. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the X model able to do off road?
  17. Soaime

Soaime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you guys!

About the off road part i don't think so; i was doing some light trail with moderate potholes with my wife and the back suspension bottomed out a few times, i'm 85kg and she's 55kg.
    Chillis likes this.
  18. zmanH2

zmanH2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Depending on the *light* trails we are discussing here, I believe it's doable.

Also, it's probably time to break out that cheap tool kit that BMW gave us and adjust the suspension as appropriate. Level 4 or 5 should do it. :D

Spring Preload.JPG
  19. MarcMalano

MarcMalano n00b

Oddometer:
    Does the vehicle info include tire pressure? I think I saw that on a YouTube video (for a BMW Enduro I think), but don't see it on any of the C400 videos. That would be a shame if BMW decided not to include that.
  20. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Soaime likes this.