BMW C400X / C400GT

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new version requires an account with BMW Motorrad.

The account allows you to use the Connected app on multiple digital devices.
  2. Aussiewingrider

Aussiewingrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all had the C400GT fore a few months as an Ironbutt rider already have taken it for 1000k in 24 hours and wow what a great bike. I thought coming from a Goldwing to the BMW C400GT i would really miss the wing, but besides power it is just as good. Even power was not that much of a concern.

What have others done to the C400GT i have added handcovers, top box, windscreen lip, brake reservoir covers, running lights. What have you done to your C400GT.

Love the fact that this bike can handle good distance riding.

john
  3. JimInOz

JimInOz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to see another Aussie on a 400GT John.

I can certainly vouch for the comfort and the power. I'm able to easily sit on 130 in ideal conditions and it handles all legal freeway speed in Australia with ease.
    My upgrades have been an OEM high screen, OEM 29litre topcase, Wunderlich hand guards, INNOVA front and rear camera and a charging lead to hook up my maintenance charger.

Oh, and a phone/GPS bracket from Wunderlich, mounts the phone centrally above the display panel.

Cheers
    Jim
  4. zmanH2

zmanH2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome!

Which handcovers and reservoir covers did you get? Any links or pix?
  5. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are a few mods I’ve made to my C400GT.

Luggage Rack - I had the luggage rack powder coated
    black

IMG_6619.jpg

I bought the AltRider luggage rack for a BMW F800 from Amazon for $55. I used a couple of aluminum blocks to retrofit/adapt to the BMW C400GT rack.

https://www.altrider.com/altrider-luggage-rack-for-bmw-f-800-gs-a/pid/691/cid/15

Added the Givi top box kit.

https://www.altrider.com/givi-monokey-top-case-mounting-kit-for-altrider-luggage-rack/pid/487

IMG_6617.jpg
    IMG_6618.jpg

Cyclops Adventure TPMS - purchased when they had a COVID special for $100. I made an aluminum bracket to mount on the right side of the cluster. Bracket is powder coated and mounted using 3M double sided tape

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/search.asp?keyword=Tpms&search=

IMG_6612.jpg

IMG_6613.jpg

Wunderlich Device Holder - originally purchased for use with my RAM mount X-Grip. Found the vibration excessive making if difficult to read the screen.

Purchased a dedicated RAM iPhone 6 cradle. I machined a custom aluminum block to mount the iPhone cradle to. Definitely helps minimize the vibrations.

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/b...rlich-universal-device-carrier-21095-102.html

IMG_6614.jpg
    IMG_6615.jpg

Rigid Ignite LED lights - Top set is switchable from high/low by turning them on/off quickly. The lower set are floods. The floods are set up only to be turned on if the upper set are on.

I made 1/4” switch pod using polycarbonate with 2 waterproof push button switches. I’m using digital flip flop circuits to turn the lights on and off without the need for mechanical relays.

White button is for the upper set of lights while the red is for the lower set of lights.

When the bike is turned off….the flip flop circuits will reset to off.

Lights are mounted to the forks using 3/4” round mounts. My original set was powder coated black but decided to leave the aluminum as is.

LED indicator is mounted on the brake fluid reservoir. It’s tucked in there so it’s visible in direct sunlight.

IMG_6610.jpg
    IMG_6616.jpg

LED markers - I replaced the side reflectors with LED markers purchased from eBay. They’re on when the bike is on.

I did this because I want to be seen at night NOT only when light reflects off the reflectors.

IMG_6611.jpg

Charge Cable - installed a charge cable to the left of the LCD cluster. It’s used to run my iPhone 6. I have it wired to only come on if the bike is running but may connect directly to the battery.

If connected to the battery…..it remains on for 1 hour after the bike is switched off. It will also switch itself off if the battery voltage falls below 12.5VDC.

The USB end is waterproof when not in use if the cover is installed. Connector is waterproof when there is a USB cable plugged in. The rubber gasket seals the connection.

https://tecmate.com/products/o-108/

IMG_6620.jpg

No other upgrades in the near future other than replacing the rear shocks with YSS shocks.
  6. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to see this thread isn't dead yet. I nearly gave up on it.

I just did the rear YSS shocks today and about to tackle the front Spring kit after dinner tonight.
    The rear is a must do modification. The stock shocks are too crashy. The front is a little soft and dives hard under braking. They say the kit reduces braking distance. Let's see.

Attached Files:

GRides, byee and ZigzagguzzI like this.
  7. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Remus full arrived just in time. Sounds amazing and the throttle response is greatly improved.
    It growls.

Attached Files:

JimInOz likes this.
  8. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok I been out and tested and set the rear and front to perfection. I really recommend doing the front if you’re doing the rear shocks. The front end feels like a pogo stick otherwise. Another annoying aspect of the kit is the oil for the front fork kit comes with 250ml of 15w but the BMW needs 135ml per fork. That’s 270ml needed. Lucky a shop up the road had a liter.

now to the exhaust. What a beauty. The throttle response is just amazing. Feels like a completely new bike. Costly full system is 1000 usd though and you need to cut a cable tie for give more slack to the O2 sensor.
    BMW are ok with this level of mods and my warranty is safe.

They won’t let me install the Malossi variator and clutch or warranty is toast.

Sorry for multiple posts.

Attached Files:

GRides and JimInOz like this.
  9. JimInOz

JimInOz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you keep posting things like this, there's no such thing as multiple posts.

I'd be sorely tempted to do similar upgrades, but I'd be sorely treated if SWMBO found out what the outlay would be :rofl.

Attached Files:

mickfitz76 likes this.
  10. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just lie and say I found it on sale or used one of Facebook. I’m good at hiding the boxes. Hahaha. so far I’m 1750 usd into mods. Windscreen is a tinted China brand was about 90 bucks and the rest is shocks and pipe.
    nearly 20% of the bikes sale price in mods is a nice waste of money but you only live once.
  11. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mickflitz76, was it easy to replace the front shocks with the YSS?

How difficult was it to setup the preload for the rear shocks?

I’ll be ordering YSS shocks to replace my rear shocks. I’m undecided about the fronts. The rear shocks have both rebound and compression dampening while the front replacements are compression only (I think).

Your replacement looks good. I haven’t considered replacing it. Just not sure if it’s an upgrade is worth the $$$$$.

What year is your C400GT?

Like yourself, I’m glad this thread is alive. I just wish there’s more people posting in the thread.
  12. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi. I'm glad some people still on board. My bike is a 2020 euro 4.

Rear shocks are simple. You just need a flat head screw driver to adjust the compression. The damping can be done by hand.
    Both settings can be adjusted 30 clicks from hard to soft so adjusting in 5 click increments makes it simple and find your sweet spot.
    Just need to ride a certain road you're used to and set it right. Took me 2 adjustments with the compression.
    The front is a little harder to adjust. Need to get your hand behind the headlight and turn. Feeling for clicks along the way. Now it's set I won't need to touch the front again.

I really recommend doing the front and rear to balance the bike out. I tested with rear shocks only and stock front and it was noticeable change in the corners. Felt off.

As for the exhaust. It's made the bike alive. It's not really a power increase you can feel but the way the bike behaves. Throttle is so much more responsive. None of that pollution gear hindering the flow.
    When I ordered I felt the same way thinking I just burnt a grand for a fancy fart can but I was wrong. I think it's worth the money now.
    If you decide to do the exhaust. Get the header as well. The slip on will do minimal but look nice.
    Oh and the sound. It growls on throttle and purrs when you back off it. It's nice.

If you got anymore questions just shoot. :)
  13. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rear shocks are pretty easy to replace once the seat is removed making the mounting hardware easily accessible.

The fronts look difficult to replace - axle, brakes, etc. Did you install the fronts yourself? If yes, was it difficult? Any tricks or tips?

Just to confirm, the front adjuster is at the top and not under the shock by the axle?

Thank you!!

Barry
  14. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes the front is a little difficult. You need to remove the forks entirely at the tree. Brakes calipers and abs sensors. I didn't remove the wheel off the forks. Easier to manage and keep each fork aligned.
    Tips are to bleed each fork twice. The manual says pump the fork 20 times to get all the air out after filling. It took about 40 pumps with the 15w to where I was happy with all the bubbles out.

Just for the record, you can use Honda Forza 350 suspension on the rear and save yourself a bit of BMW tax. It's 430mm for the Forza and 440mm for the BMW. You can always adjust the length 10mm.
    Fits like a glove. Same fitment.

If you see Ohlins on a GT or X it's the Forza 350 suspension.
  15. jerryd

jerryd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mick, you will really like your new shocks after the rear break in. the fronts wont change. but the rear will take around 1500 miles before they soften up a little. typically they soften about 10-12%. then you ad a smidge of preload and will impress all over again.
  16. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mick,

Thank you for the heads up on the Forza rear shock. I’ll definitely research to confirm.

Did you purchase the BMW or Forza version of the YSS rear shock?

There’s approximately a $200CDN cost savings for me going the Forza route.

Once again, thank you for the cost savings suggestion!
  17. Lightsauce

Lightsauce n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all, been lurking for a while since this is probably one of the only threads on the whole internet discussing the 400X/GT. I’ve owned the C400X (US/All the technology package/White) since it hit the floor of my local dealer in 2019. I ended up using my DCT Honda Nc750 100% of the time, but had to sell it for cash flow reasons. I’m back riding my C400X, and have had the same issue of stalling. Usually only happens when I just start it and engine brake to a stop. Never had it happen while still moving.

Just installed the BMW tall windscreen. I had the Givi on there for a bit but its ridiculously huge.

Also just completed my first oil change, super easy. Only thing I was worried about was the mesh filter and making sure it was going back in the correct way.

Few questions:

i’m at 800 miles on it, other than oil change what should i be doing?

i have a little brake squeal, but only when i come to a complete stop. How do I get rid of it?

Lastly, I feel there is a rattle but can’t tell where its coming from. Def behind me, but not sure what the culprit is. Comes and goes. Next time I ride I’ll see if its occurring under specific conditions.

photos!

BMW Tall Windscreen
    RAM Brake Phone Mount/GPS
    Changed the mirrors — Doubletake Mirrors from Amazon - $109 but WELL worth being able to have complete freedom in adjustments.
    BMW 29L Rear Case

Looking at an exhaust… but $700 seems SUPER expensive for a scooter exhaust. This scooter was expensive enough! I love it though. Now that I can ride to work, my gas costs have plummetted.

Attached Files:

GRides and ZigzagguzzI like this.
  18. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I placed my order for a pair of YSS rear shocks last Sunday from bikerbitz in Thailand. It takes 3-5 days to process. Shipping via DHL international takes 3 - 4 days for delivery.

Expecting to receive them by the end of next week. I can’t wait to replace the rear shocks for shocks which will work better for my body weight.

I decided not to pickup the front replacement cartridges for now.
  19. zmanH2

zmanH2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome!

Have you done the recalls for our bike yet?

Also, can you please post close up photos of the mirrors and the phone mount. Lastly, is it still possible to post an overlayed photo of the Givi vs the BMW tall windscreen?

Sorry for all the requests LOL :)
  20. Lightsauce

Lightsauce n00b

Oddometer:
    No recalls done yet. The shop i bought it from burned down in a huge wildfire last year. They havent been brought back up yet. Nearest dealer is 4.5 hrs away.

Below are the pics — the Givi is up against the TALL BMW windscreen, the tall bmw windscreen is perfect height for me, i’m 5’10, 11 on a good day. See just over the windshield. Makes a huge difference in wind. So much so that my shoei helmet with the vents open i cant feel the wind rushing in anymore. The Givi is just massive. And its not a straight swap, you have to order the mounting kit.

3D5B7389-F7BC-4AFF-BAB7-E59A90434A1E.jpeg 5DDB899E-3974-4190-947D-3312E533FE5E.jpeg 4134808B-1290-4F69-89BC-ECA2215F32F0.jpeg 7EB6A1BE-F0F1-4650-8E1A-98E548B9D68F.jpeg E3867CF4-4183-42D0-B84E-79A9CCA1426F.jpeg