BMW C400X / C400GT

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. zmanH2

zmanH2 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the pix!

Make sure you take care of those recall specially if you have snow in your area. Also, there's a software update as well.
  2. zmanH2

zmanH2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    kpinvt likes this.
  3. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish the BMW Mothership good luck in their pursuit of viable electric vehicles, my pockets aren't deep enough. Replace the roundels on that bike with a HD bar & shield with that color combo.
  4. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bar None likes this.
  5. Nassa

Nassa n00b

Oddometer:
    Considering the upgrade of the rear suspension on C400 GT, does anybody have a real life experience with OHLINS suspension upgrade? If yes, which specific model, as officialy there is no match for C400X/GT
  6. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I considered the Ohlins but decided not to because of the price…..$1,100 USD vs $510USD for the YSS.

I only ordered the rear shocks and not the front cartridges. Wasn’t sure if the costs justifies the costs….cost of the YSS cartridges and installation fees.
    Unlike the rears, the fronts only have a compression setting with no rebound.

I’ve ridden about 700km on my C400GT since I’ve installed the YSS rear shocks. There’s been a significant increase in how the bike handles and rides. I’m now getting absolutely no air time! My butt now spends all its time sitting on the seat in contrast to the OEM shocks.

Because the bike no longer stutters on the occasional washboard like roadways and the bumps…..the YSS has definitely increased my confidence leaning into the turns.

The shocks were super easy to install.

I’m now on the process to fine tuning the rear suspension. I put a zap strap on the rear shaft to see how much travel is being used. After a 150km ride, I’m finding the rear is utilizing 80% of the 4” travel and sometimes 100%

Is it normal for the rear shocks to utilize 80% of the rear travel and sometimes 100%? I have adjusted the compression settings but not the rebound yet. I started off with both the compression and rebound set to the middle. Compression is now set to middle less 1 click.

Opinions or suggestions?
  8. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here’s a few photos of the YSS. Sorry, I don’t have the VIP for Tapatalk.

Left side:

IMG_6847.jpg
    kpinvt and zmanH2 like this.
  9. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right side

65147440512__88E169A1-679C-45AE-91A2-8B745682EC8E.jpg
    kpinvt and zmanH2 like this.
  10. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top side

IMG_6848.jpg
    zmanH2 likes this.
  11. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do you guys buy those YSS shocks and fork kit in Europe?
  12. lifeinreverse

lifeinreverse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was going to ask the same question about where to get in the US. I've found them on e-bay but would rather find at a more reputable source. The oem shocks leave much to be desired.
  13. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    lifeinreverse likes this.
  14. lifeinreverse

lifeinreverse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks @byee, you have always been a wealth of information for the c400. I'm in the process of trading my 400x for a 400GT (Yes, the US is finally getting the GT). There have been a few improvements for the 2022 model year, but I don't think the suspension is one of them. I should be able to offer some comparison next week, but I'm thinking I'll be adding the shocks to my upgrade list in the near future. But the first thing will be a new top box which I have not yet decided on.

The 400x has been a nice machine, but not without its faults. My biggest gripes are storage space and suspension, but it appears both can be improved. It's a shame the US doesn't get the Yamaha xmax/tech max, then I may have had to make a decision, but the c400 is it for now.
  15. zmanH2

zmanH2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    RE: Oil Change

Do any of you know where the proper oil drain is? I've seen it done via part #3 below but could it also be part #6?

I got some oil and filter this past weekend and the BMW parts counter guy was asking me if I wanted some gaskets (part #7). He assumed that was the drain. The funny part was that they didn't have any of the gasket/washer anyhow....LOL! :rofl

Engine Oil Change Parts Diagram.jpg

FYI. The oil filter was $19.74 and the oil was $17.50/qt.
  16. lifeinreverse

lifeinreverse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right or wrong, I drained from 6 and then removed 3 to clean the screen. My dealer was also a bit confused about the parts required and suggested part #7 was a crush washer (which it usually is), but on the c400 I think it's a rubber o-ring if I remember correctly. The crush washer they gave me as part of the oil change 'kit' was put aside for a future change on my GS.
  17. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Upside down!!!??? I guess it doesn't matter as there is an air bladder inside the canister end that is not filled with a liquid.
  18. JimInOz

JimInOz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's just the way that the manufacturer designed them to be installed in that position, so not really "upside down".
  19. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those who went with YSS fork kit, is that what you got with the kit? Nothing missing there?
    IMG_2155.jpg
  20. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi.
    Yes that is correct. Forget the instructions pics that are there. The installation is the same but that diagram is from the Yamaha kit.
    Subaruvich likes this.